manual sterring to pwr steering 68 dart

-

Dakota_Don

Reaction score
Hi every one, I have a 68 dart V8 318 auto. I would like to add pwr steering to my dart. I know i will need a pump,box ect.. but will i need a steering colum? or will the manual one work? and can i use a sterring box froma dipy, aspen?

thanks

Don

68dart small.jpg

Quite a few guys here are going the other way with their cars. If you place a "Wanted" ad, you may find all the parts you need to make the change. Do you currently have a column-shift? If so, I believe I have a power column out of a '68 a-body.

Yep you,ll need a power steering collum as gtxprnc is saying as the power steering box is longer so the collum must be shorter

naw, just cut that sucked shorter.call jegs about length required,around 2 inches but they sell the power to manual adapter and it cost over 200 bux.get required length borgeson 90 degree joint under 60 bux,viola and you rid yourself of that ugly box and gain room.all you need is a small pipe cutter to cut column, slowly,weld 1 end to shaft tell jegs you want the desired set screw after measuring where groove is on the box then measure needed distance for column to fully engage splined box. probably cost under 60 bux, just tell them what you are doing as they have mopar spline joints and you will have the part the next day. use care welding joint to shaft end as you may damage plastic bearing. 1-800-345-4545 let them know what your doing and they will send you proper joint ,as I said its around 2 inches long .its a veryeasy and good looking fix and beats buying a new column just because of the looks,set screw will be screwed right into the groove on box. its very simple ,any questions just ask ,but just tell jegs what your doing, wait til joint arrives ,then measure,cut,weld and tighten set screw,its real simple,you can also add another ugly box that would work but who wants 2 boxes? my friend did this and it looks ugly.hope this helps,regards,don

I have pwr steering on my 68 dart but want and need to convert to manual.... If you want to do a trade I'm more than willing.

I have pwr steering on my 68 dart but want and need to convert to manual.... If you want to do a trade I'm more than willing.

Wish I had an offer like that when I wanted power steering. I'm kinda lost on all that Jegs and "ugly box" stuff . No matter though.
There is exactlly 3 inches difference in the 2 column shafts so rather than trade and paint columns just trade shafts. Disassemble the column from top down to the snap ring at upper bearing before removing from the car.
Drive the pin out of the box coupling and remove the column. Remove the snap ring and shaft should slide right out the bottom. Good time to replace that upper bearing.
Beyond the shaft and power steering gear you'll need pump , brackets, and the pulley.
If you want to split the bottom joint and trade pitman arms also that will be better than using the wrong tool (hammer) the remove pitman arms.
the reciever of power steering will pay much more for shipping.

jegs has the joint you need, and installing a 440 into the A body makes the box very close to the headers. sorry if you dont understand ,but I would never use the greasy,ugly box in a hipo app with headers as the grease melts and makes a mess, ive done this for over 20 years with no complications whatsoever.Ive used a charger column simply by cutting shaft to length required and used the borgeson ujoint and the fit and look on the 440 in a 67 barracuda notchback was superb, dont mean to offend anyone but this setup is super easy and looks super nice with no factory greasy box. take care

-
Back