manual tach drive distributor

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just bought a valiant with a 400bb in it. It has a distributor with a manual tach drive on it. It appears to be electronic as it has an orange mopar box. Does anyone know anything about these? I can't find any info on line about them. There is no vacuum advance on it. I took off the cap but I don't see any points.

IMG_20170620_114942451_HDR.jpg

I have a similar one on my small block 340. They were originally sold out of the direct connection catalog . Mine has very light weight springs in it. Uses standard mopar electronic box but the reluctor does look a little different. I also have the cable driven tach for mine but need a new rpm cable.

cap and rotor pn Accel 8330....reluctor is different then the OEM electronic distributor...

I think I got 5 or 6 of the small block models..

Can you remove the cable and use it without it? Mine is quite noisy. Wasn't sure if the cable could be lubed up like a speedo cable or the hole for it plugged someway. It is kinda old school cool.
This is my first BB. Is there a better option for a distributor?

yes....you can use it with a electronic tach like anyother distributor

yes you can remove the cable and run it with out. I would figure out a rubber cover to keep dirt out of the drive though. You can lube the cable just like a Speedo. I am not using the cable drive on mine at the moment. I am using an auto meter tach but still using the old distributor.

I have a tach drive on my mag. Mag drive has a tang which is different from the Moroso tach drive that requires a square socket. Def do your research before you buy anything.

............I took off the cap but I don't see any points.
Is this what you saw (besides the red "1")?....
CapRemoved.gif

This is a MP tach drive distributor. The cable in above link fits this. The "kit" came with the chrome ECU. You had to buy the correct coil separate. The distributor also came with a cap for covering the drive port when using an electronic tach. I'll try to dig up some info if this is the animal you have.

Possibly. I'll have to look again in the morning. It seems to work ok but sounds like I have a gear drive sitting in my lap when its running. It's a little noisy.

That reluctor is MP.

You want to get rid of that I need a pickup plate for one I am doing....trade?
DSC01739.JPG
DSC01690.JPG

Is the cap and rotor for a big block the same number as for a small block tach drive distributor?

mopar does not carry the carry the cap and rotor anymore.....cap and rotor pn Accel 8330

yes...big block and small block take the same cap and rotor...

I found one of those distributors in my parts stash last year. It didn't have a tag on it but as far as I could tell it was an old Direct Connection part. I sold it at a swap meet for $100. Guy seemed happy to find it and I was happy to get rid of it. I don't have any use for that old stuff anymore, I've switched over to fuel injection and modern electronics on my stuff. The low deck 470 in my Duster doesn't even have a distributor!

I was going to lock out the mechanical advance on it and keep it on the 400 when we convert the car to a sniper EFI..it was used on a Hemi at one time.

I was going to lock out the mechanical advance on it and keep it on the 400 when we convert the car to a sniper EFI..it was used on a Hemi at one time.

You would be better off selling it to someone who wants it and then buying a new Hyperspark distributor for the Sniper install. The Sniper isn't going to work very well with an old school magnetic pickup. The Sniper wants a nice square wave to trigger off.

-
Back