Manual to power box options

-

DQ81

'73 Dart
Reaction score
I hava a 73 Dart with a manual box. It's too many rotations and too heavy for European city driving.

I want power steering and am wondering if there are any other steering boxes I can use that are 'plug and play' and will work and potentially tighten up my steering?

David

I can't answer for sure about the PS boxes that will work for you but think the 73-76 A Body should be a direct bolt-in. Possibly similar year(s) other Mopars might work as well. You will definitely need the 73-76 A Body power steering column as it's shorter than the manual column you currently have (PS box is longer than your manual box). I'm rebuilding a 65 Barracuda 273 4 speed manual steering/brakes for my oldest son (his inheritance) who lives near Amsterdam. The problem with slow steering in town is not something my son and I have discussed. It might be something that he'll want/need as well. Thanks for bringing it up!

Dartman is right. You will need to change steering columns for the shorter shaft. You may also need to change pitman arms but I cannot remember(good luck getting your old one off the manual steering box if you can use it). The PS box is pretty generic. You can order them rock auto, advance auto, etc. I got mine from the latter. It was rebuilt and looks pretty good but I have not installed the suspension on the car yet as the car is in 1000 pieces right now.

FWIW, swapping from manual to power steering has been one of the best upgrades I have made to my car. When you are done have the front end aligned and ask the shop to put in as much caster as they can get, you can even go with the off set upper control arm bushing to get more. This will cure a lot of the lack of feel mopar power steering is notorious for.

The steering box is readily available rebuilt from most auto parts stores here in the US as is the pitman arm. Also, if you can't find a power steering column you can cut down the one you have.

Check out www.firmfeel.com

Don't waste time with an over assisted factory style box, I have their stage 2 box and its great, if I had to do it again maybe a stage 3 plus it's all in stock and they can answer any questions.

Power steering shafts are easy to find most guys want the manual one, you don't need to change your column if you don't want just swap the shaft or like other guys said cut it.

Lots of info; Thanks all!
65 Dartman, do you live in Holland as well or just your son and your shipping the car over when it's done?

I live in the US and he lives near and works at Schiphol Airport. He will be making all the arrangements for shipping after the car is done. He's lived there since 87 after getting out of the US Air Force. My wife and I visited him in '06 and are going back this coming June - he is getting married to a very nice Dutch lady - 1st for him 2nd for her. We're looking forward to visiting again.

I live in the US and he lives near and works at Schiphol Airport. He will be making all the arrangements for shipping after the car is done. He's lived there since 87 after getting out of the US Air Force. My wife and I visited him in '06 and are going back this coming June - he is getting married to a very nice Dutch lady - 1st for him 2nd for her. We're looking forward to visiting again.

Congrats, where in the US do you live? I spent from '95 to '04 in MA and my family lives there still. I was born here and have also met a very nice dutch lady and that's what's keeping me here for now...

Feel free to send me a pm with your email, if there's anything I can do to help with your trip etc. I'm sure you've got it all covered but you never know ;)

Perhaps you could even attend one of our modest Mopar/US car meets, I haven't been yet but I hear good things...

David

-
Back