Manual to Power Steering Help Wanted !!

-

6pakattack

Reaction score
OK,after this past weekend I realized how bad my arms and shoulder really are !!We would like to convert to Power Steering !!Any ideas where we can get Quality used or New pieces to perform this,and just what pieces we will need ?? My badd,I forgot to add that it's for my wife's '68 'Cuda,Formula S 340 w/auto !!

I cannot see how steering a 340 fish is hard work. Mine turns easily and could be turned with a couple fingers. Is the front end aligned properly? That said, I have a power steering pump, brackets, and steering box on my 67 parts fish. You can't have the console steering column though and the couplers are different between the power and manual columns. An adapter is avail.

the steering column main shaft is a different length. find a shaft and convert your manual column to power steering or find a complete power steering column. other than that the steering box, hoses, pump, pump brackets and bolts, pulleys and belt. You can probably score the pump and brackets and box easily. I think the box needs to be from 67 to 71? someone else can chime in here for that specific.
I still have to do mine been waiting for the engine swap though. I found a complete column for about 275.00. And 100.00 for the rest of the stuff from a FABO local parting a car.

I have a complete setup, column, box, pump/brackets out of a '69 Dart. It's a column shift column though, and all of it is pretty heavy, so might be cost prohibitive to ship to Florida from up here in the frozen North.

I understand your struggle with manual steering. I've been there too.
You could just colapse the column you have.It has nylon shear pins in it that once removed will get you the 3 inches shorter you need for the power steering gearbox. This aint proper proceedure but that hasn't stopped many others from doing it.

Found everything we need for the conversion !! Had the box and pump shipped to Firm Feel to get rebuilt so all is basically new when it gets here !!:cheers:

damn if you werent across the country i woulda traded you straight across.....

-
Back