manual valve body

-

7duster4

Reaction score
There was an earlier thread about 904's and 727's and a "reverse manual valve-body" was mentioned.

I didn't want to hi-jack the thread, so anyway, what are those and what is their purpose? I have a 904 in my car that dosn't have a manual valve body but I still shift it manualy at times. Just a curious question.

Thanks

When you install a manual valve body, the transmission will no longer shift automatically, you have to shift it manually all the time. Hope this helps.

so whats up with reverse and forward manual valve body? is it push or pull to up shift? and do you still have to down shift? it would make sense that you do but that could get wierd on the street lol

so whats up with reverse and forward manual valve body? is it push or pull to up shift? and do you still have to down shift? it would make sense that you do but that could get wierd on the street lol
With a forward manual you push forward to shift up and pull backward to downshift. With a reverse manual you pull backward to shift up and push forward to downshift. Every shift with either valve body is manual, up shift and downshift. Does that make sense?

A reverse manual valve body features that it uses the lower reverse gear as the lowest forward gear(minus the torque reverser) that would make the car actually go in reverse. It means you get a lower first gear for easier starting. That's my understanding of the matter, anyway.

If you put a manual valve body in. Get a reverse manual. They are simple and work better (IMO). I had a reworked OEM valvebody in mine that was a forward manual and it was so-so. Have since installed a Cope reverse manual and it's awsome. 1-2 shift is neck snapping. 2-3 is nice and firm.

Also, obviously there is no longer and kickdown linkage attached. I like it. It's not as fun as a 4-speed, but it's the next best thing. I just like shifting myself in the Dart.

Pharmboy, you're out in left field. A manual valve body is identical to a factory valve body except you have to shift it manually all the time. A reverse valve body has a pattern of PRN123 versus a normal or forward valve body of PRN321. Only difference. A lot of people use them because if you change intakes and/or carbs its sometimes hard to get the kickdown linkage to operate properlydue to a height difference.. A manual valve body does not use any kickdown linkage. It generally will shift faster too.

Pharmboy, you're out in left field. A manual valve body is identical to a factory valve body except you have to shift it manually all the time. A reverse valve body has a pattern of PRN123 versus a normal or forward valve body of PRN321. Only difference. A lot of people use them because if you change intakes and/or carbs its sometimes hard to get the kickdown linkage to operate properlydue to a height difference.. A manual valve body does not use any kickdown linkage. It generally will shift faster too.

Yeah, what he said.

Slightly off topic... but manually shifting a factory transmission is not good for it. You tend to wear the bands quickly, because in Drive, when the transmission is in first, and with most manual valve bodies when they are in 1st, the low/reverse band is not applied. When you pull the shifter into first gear, with a factory type valve body (even with shift kits) the low/reverse band IS applied, and it does not come off as fast as the 2nd gear band applies. So you wear both bands harder and much faster. Even with the "slap stik" shifters... 727s were not supposed to be manually shifted.

-
Back