massive reconfiguration time again.

-
Next story, (this is where the wife gets pissed) on the way home a kid rev's his little Honda car next to us... Open stretch in front of us and I know the kid wants a rolling start so I obliged him at about 35. (I think we all know from a standing still he would have just seen tail lights) I knew third gear was way too high at the speed but I wasn't feeling like getting overly radical. Of course he dumped it into what seems like first gear LOL and got a fender on me for a second, but as you can well imagine when 3rd gear started hitting its torque band my Fender was out front and right about as my wife's yelling was turning into yelling and cursing I hit 4th gear and was starting to leave him and let off heavily....

I know about the yelling and screaming bit , no cursing tho ! Seems like she`s always on the other side --------

My Scat Pack in virtually stock trim including tires runs right at 12.3-5 depending on launch
Spot on to what I've seen. 12.3-12.4 depending on traction. I expect the same from my sons...… though I believe it has high 11 potential if one could pre-load the converter and launch like a fox on fire and have it dead-hook.
  • We'll play around here in the near future. He'll have to play catch up :D

That was most likely acting like a pushing a brick with all the air hitting the firewall.
Naaa, those two four barrels are sucking all the wind in before it hits the firewall :thumbsup:
I never have drag raced with a hood before?
It seems like it would have been deflecting the air...

You would be surprised with the aero dynamics of a hood installed.

You would be surprised with the aero dynamics of a hood installed.
IMG_20190601_195121.jpg

get rid of the lame fuzzy dice. lol
I waited a long time to get the right fuzzy dice. They're not the cheap little ones that they sell now. I relentlessly bugged my 82 year old friend about them till he finally gave them to me, he said he had them for a long time....

I would name it bones..... front view looks like ghost riders …… flames from the pipes would match

Well the hood held down on the freeway and seemed to do just fine the way it is. And would like to still do some kind of lexan on the open holes. I'm kind of getting everything ready for summer. I just changed the oil and oil filter some new penngrade 15/40. took a couple to good degrees of timing out of it the other day. Haven't had a chance to test that yet but since I'm so close to detonation I figured I'd back it off a couple. I thought it was at about 36 all in but it seems more like 34 and I backed it down to what I believe is 32 now. I'm gearing up for its first long-sh Freeway Drive of 60 miles each way. I pulled the plugs because I'm going to put some new ones in and started a compression check and it wouldn't crank long enough with the plugs out to do two cylinders so it looks like that five-year-old battery is finally giving up the ghost. So I skipped to now looking at resetting the valve lash or checking it at the very least. sometimes I forget how pretty it is underneath the valve covers...
IMG_20190709_132341.jpg
IMG_20190709_132406.jpg

I wonder how much it was the cam change and the rings sealing?
4 years of Spirited driving and drag racing usually doesn't provide better combustion numbers LOL
I'm pretty sure I found out why I have to put a little bit of race gas in it...
IMG_20190709_171333.jpg

IMG_20190709_192606.jpg
I cross referenced my usual Autolite ar3934 with the NGK V power 4554's and going to try those and see how they do. (.040 gap) Only 20 bucks for a set their much cheaper and look the same...

I think you are building up carbon is why the compression when up. 120 mile drive should help that a lot.

I think you are building up carbon is why the compression when up. 120 mile drive should help that a lot.
When I see the Speckles on the porcelain I think its detonation. Then I kind of looked in the cylinders with a flashlight and it looked like wet carbon.
Starting to rethink the timing. And now just remembered I'm almost positive I dropped °2 of timing with new cam. So that makes sense now why I saw °34 all in °18 initial.
I just started the motor for 30 seconds to get the oil pressure up because I knew I was going to turn it over a lot.

Also did valve lash check. Nothing more than .002 out. Took the time to true it all back up.. .019 cold... The cam card says .022, must have been something Ken told me.
IMG_20190709_155006.jpg

That NGK 4554 is a pretty cold plug (R5671A-8). I used to use those in my nitrous motors years ago. Worked great on the bottle, but when I drove around town too much I would tend to foul plugs (like the black plug on the left). I currently use the -7's (4091) which is 1 step hotter.

-
Back