massive reconfiguration time again.

-
then your fuel tip-in is terrible. You need a wheel barrel more pump shot for when you slam the pedal to the metal
When I free rev it it's very responsive, but let it get down on RPM and gas it and big stumble..
Also when the secondaries are hooked up when I slow roll off of a heavy throttle it feels really rough??

When I free rev it it's very responsive, but let it get down on RPM and gas it and big stumble..
Also when the secondaries are hooked up when I slow roll off of a heavy throttle it feels really rough??
fuel tip-in/delivery is your struggle. It's gasping for thirst. Under load is when it will show it's ugly head the most. That is what you are experiencing. I would get the big nozzles that they listed above. It's a starting point. Why the eddy's responded well is all in the fuel delivery.

fuel tip-in/delivery is your struggle. It's gasping for thirst. Under load is when it will show it's ugly head the most. That is what you are experiencing. I would get the big nozzles that they listed above. It's a starting point.
What do you think about that really rough running when slow rolling off of a heavy throttle?..

What do you think about that really rough running when slow rolling off of a heavy throttle?..
I'm only guessing, but if I understand you correctly, I'd say your back flaps are slamming shut (as they will) choking off the engine like a choke being pulled on a warm engine still pulling fuel. But man, I'm really reaching without being there. . . .

I'm only guessing, but if I understand you correctly, I'd say your back flaps are slamming shut (as they will) choking off the engine like a choke being pulled on a warm engine still pulling fuel. But man, I'm really reaching without being there. . . .
Maybe I'm going the wrong way with those air doors.. when I had the air filters off the other day they were barely bobbling when I opened it up. I never seen them really like flap wide open...

Maybe I'm going the wrong way with those air doors.. when I had the air filters off the other day they were barely bobbling when I opened it up. I never seen them really like flap wide open...
then yes, I'd guess you have them too tight.

^^ That would also make it act like it's being "choked" and run rough when you back out of it.

^^^ trying to compensate for the "lean" condition on the front barrels by tightening the rear flaps is what it sounds like.

^^ That would also make it act like it's being "choked" and run rough when you back out of it.
the first thing I did was go a quarter turn lighter and that didn't seem to do anything but maybe I just hadn't gone enough... I reckon that's only getting half the vacuum signal if it needs to be split between two carburetors..

the first thing I did was go a quarter turn lighter and that didn't seem to do anything but maybe I just hadn't gone enough... I reckon that's only getting half the vacuum signal if it needs to be split between two carburetors..
True, and your car brings another element to the equation - your car is a 4 speed. So, every time you floor it and let off to shift, those flaps are going to slam shut and then come flying open again. TQ's work this to perfection on clutch cars, however, I've not seen a pair (dual quads) working in harmony on a 4 gear car because I haven't seen them like that. I do think it can and will work. But you added to the tuning process

Well it started raining last night and it's going to rain today. So today I'll probably take the carburetors back off and start working on buckling in the nitrous plates and some accommodating parts. While the carbs are off I can make some adjustments. I'll put the pump squirter back up to the top notch. Instead of a half turn tighter on the door springs I'll turn those back and have turn lighter and start going the other way. also I'll take one of those nozzles off and inspect the hole... If I could get everything back on today and actually get the hood closed because it will be another half inch higher I will maybe have a little time after work on Sunday but it doesn't look like I would have another chance to at least Wednesday and that's a maybe...
There's no local parts for those carburetors it seems like or at least I haven't been able to find them yet. Of course if I order from Summit nothing will ship till Monday. I was hoping to maybe call them today and maybe argue the fact that they didn't come with the screws like shown in the picture and if they're going to send me a new set maybe just send me the .047 s.. I hate paying $10 shipping for a $16 part or having to find another hundred dollars worth of crap...

LOL. I'm talking about the hollow pump screws. What did you decide?????????? I have a pair, but you have to drive here to get them. I ain't driving back over there.
Trying to keep the carburetors over here on this thread.. I appreciate the offer but instead of driving there I'd probably have you throw them in an envelope for 50 cent... But what I really plan to do is call the Holley tech line and ask them if they're Street Demon squirters require bigger hollow screws...
Then I'm going to call Summit and tell them that I didn't get screws with the squirters like it shows in the picture. Then I'm going to order the 47 squirters...

Trying to keep the carburetors over here on this thread.. I appreciate the offer but instead of driving there I'd probably have you throw them in an envelope for 50 cent... But what I really plan to do is call the Holley tech line and ask them if they're Street Demon squirters require bigger hollow screws...
Then I'm going to call Summit and tell them that I didn't get screws with the squirters like it shows in the picture. Then I'm going to order the 47 squirters...

If you need them and don't mind waiting on the mail, let me know Monday and I'll stick them in the mail.

well it's Monday morning so the Holley tech line was open and then I asked about different sizes of screws for the discharge nozzles and once again they proved they are less than useless...
One thing is a fact though when I finally do get these carburetors tuned in I will be the guru... Nobody seems to know a damn thing about them..

^^Holley tech dept. I understand they have 2 full time janitors. When the phone rings they also sub in as tech man. Not saying that they are not 100% capable at both duties.

^^Holley tech dept. I understand they have 2 full time janitors. When the phone rings they also sub in as tech man. Not saying that they are not 100% capable at both duties.
The only thing it's good for if it's even good for that I wouldn't know but helping you read the troubleshooting part of your pamphlet that comes with your carburetor....

The only thing it's good for if it's even good for that I wouldn't know but helping you read the troubleshooting part of your pamphlet that comes with your carburetor....
Their "good" people are doing other things than fielding 400 calls per day. It's just the nature of the business. Of their 400 calls per day, per say, 250 of them are probably such nonsense calls it would be ridiculous. "I'm looking at this Holley race only carb, will it make my 1.6 Civic faster?". So they pay somebody a lot less that has the bare basic knowledge to field these calls. In large companies like Comp Cams, Holley, etc, you don't get the "owner of the shop" on the phone like you would at a "ma and pa shop"

And Summit and Jegs would be even worse, as you most likely already know. First call will be about a torque converter for a '08 GT stang, next call will be about a ring/pinion gear for a '74 Javelin, 3rd call is about a cam for a '07 Civic. No way anyone will catch all the fly balls on their tech lines, so they themselves rely upon their own catalog descriptions.

I called one of those tech lines once, the recoding says: If you have a real automotive question, please call a real mechanic! We just sells pats and give a half *** description in the catalogue".

I quoted this from something I was reading and again it's on the Holley carburetor but I'm trying to cross-reference their diaphragm secondary which I know need a lighter or heavier spring according to what you looking for. I'm really reaching here trying to give myself some direction. But I do believe going lighter on the secondary door springs will help. Again the first thing I tried was a quarter-turn lighter and didn't see any help. So I ended up a half turn tighter and definitely didn't see anything. So now I'm just going to keep going further open or easier on the spring to see what happens. It's really that slow rolling out of a full throttle and bringing it back down that I want to run better. also the tip in I think I'm going to just go ahead and order those $47 today as I should have some time hopefully early on Wednesday to drive..
"
Another issue with dual vacuum secondary carbs is diaphragm spring tension. Many years ago I had a pair of 650s on a cross ram in my '70 Camaro and never thought it pulled the way it should. I rigged micro switches on the secondary throttles and found they didn't approach full open until over 7,000 RPM! You'll likely want to start on the soft end of the spring range.."
again that was just a quote that I was reading from another form and made some sense...

Last edited:
I told Summit that I didn't get the screws that were in the picture with the 42 squirters. I said I'd like some 47s but I wanted to confirm the screws were coming with them. They said they don't come with them but hollow screws are required for anything over .040... They're ten bucks each LOL and two squirters for 16.65 which they're going to send me the new squirters for free because it's too much to send the old ones back. I'll be curious to see if the screws have larger holes...

-
Back