massive reconfiguration time again.

-
LOL... I was just pok'n at ya, your trying to tune the carbs and you keep getting timing help :D
What do you think about the drilled air doors?.. I called the Holley tech line and they're gonna send me 4 to play with very reasonable price.. they came up a notch in my eyes...

What do you think about the drilled air doors?.. I called the Holley tech line and they're gonna send me 4 to play with very reasonable price.. they came up a notch in my eyes...
I wouldn't. My way of thinking it will slow up the syphoning effect, and probably the speed of the door opening. I could be wrong, but that's what it would seem to me

What is the benefit for drilling the secondary air door ?

What is the idle speed ? Have you tried increasing the idle speed ?

Yep, I'm not seeing how it will help you . Why do you need more air with the secondary butterfly shut.
Probably a good question for the people reading the article back in 2012.... There's really nothing but review videos and installation videos and simple turning the idle up or down or a small adjustment on the idle mixture screws. Even when you called Holley techline they'd barely ever get calls on these. And if they do they said it's usually just to verify what carburetor it is as if somebody bought one from somebody else..

Another thing they don't have like a metering rod and spring and jet chart like Edelbrock does. There's no real graph or anything like that like the Edelbrock do..
So more than less I'm just reaching for straws...

I wonder if turning the idle speed up to a 1000 might help. Have you tried ?

LOL... I was just pok'n at ya, your trying to tune the carbs and you keep getting timing help :D

Way to stir the pot and derail a thread!! Next thing you'll do is bring up the...you know...the big heavy thing with a big track on it and kill the whole thread LOL.

Or mention spaghetti. That'll do it too.

I wonder if turning the idle speed up to a 1000 might help. Have you tried ?
I usually have it at about a thousand, but right now it seems to be happy around 900. I'm not sure how much a hundred is going to do to the overall cruise and sudden flooring it?.

Way to stir the pot and derail a thread!! Next thing you'll do is bring up the...you know...the big heavy thing with a big track on it and kill the whole thread LOL.

Or mention spaghetti. That'll do it too.
Did you read that article and see those air doors drilled? Any thoughts on that...

Screenshot_20200304-075024.png

Those holes look very strategically placed right over the secondary Ventura centers. They could probably siphon fuel out as well right away from that spot as soon as the door on the bottom opens.. ??..

View attachment 1715481722
Those holes look very strategically placed right over the secondary Ventura centers. They could probably siphon fuel out as well right away from that spot as soon as the door on the bottom opens.. ??..
I doubt any of us will have the answer if the holes will help you. I think it's "trial and error", and no reason not to adventure out and try means you have extras. In my way of thinking, they won't help your situation, but I've been known to think backwards now and then :D

Manual for these carbs says that if air gets around that door, it will richen the low Rev and low throttle mixture, which sounds to me like more variables to fight.

Might be worth trying, as it may help to have some fuel already flowing there, but it sounds to me like it will be challenging to get the mix even down low and in the middle without even more tinkering.

So my thought is to call that lwa performance and ask for that Lamar guy and ask him why he drilled holes in there and maybe he'll let out a secret or two, I hope... I'm sure not too many people are doing that combination.

I don't have a 21/64 drill bit but I do have a 5/16 which is extremely close. I'll probably drill a couple of doors and pop them on and see what happens. again I'll have a couple of chances to try something if I want to...

I think opening the door sooner will enhance the bog problem.
The answer is in the pump shot and primary circuit.

-
Back