massive reconfiguration time again.

-
I think opening the door sooner will enhance the bog problem.
The answer is in the pump shot and primary circuit.

I'm not so sure. It's not a 3310 (aka boat anchor) and it's a mechanical secondary carb. If the butterflies are open and the air valve doesn't, or it's partially opening, it's may be struggling for air, and air moving through the booster it what make the fuel flow. And the emulsion, and the main air bleed.

So I'm not sure it will increase the bog.

way back on page 67, post 1653..... ^^
And I can't buy parts fast enough to keep up with you cyber spenders.. I've got the biggest squirters strapped on right now but I haven't been able to get the carbs off my work bench and onto the car as I had to work today and then go get my shot in the eyeball and by that time the day was shot. I have to work first thing tomorrow but maybe late tomorrow afternoon or the next day. I may not have any time till Sunday or Monday... The good thing is by that time I should possibly have those air doors...

I'm not so sure. It's not a 3310 (aka boat anchor) and it's a mechanical secondary carb. If the butterflies are open and the air valve doesn't, or it's partially opening, it's may be struggling for air, and air moving through the booster it what make the fuel flow. And the emulsion, and the main air bleed.

So I'm not sure it will increase the bog.
That was my theory that it would get air directly over the Ventura openings and siphon gas quicker??.. I'm going to try and put those holes exactly where they are in the picture and I would bet dollars to Donuts that they are directly over the center of the venturas...

Last edited:
But lwa is in Georgia and they open at 9 they said so I can call at 6 in the morning and see if I could hopefully get someone nice and talkative.. it's a long shot but I don't have anything to lose by trying..

it's a mechanical secondary carb without a pump shot.
if the carbs are setup right should be a instant tire fryer with secondary disconnected

it's a mechanical secondary carb without a pump shot.
if the carbs are setup right should be a instant tire fryer with secondary disconnected
It has very good throttle response in the free rev like sitting in the driveway not driving. It's bing bing bing right there... It's the under power when it shows the worst. let's say I'm in 3rd gear and I slow down for a heavy curve in the highway and I get around the curve and I'm down to about two grand and 3rd and I just stab it it falls on its face and then takes off.. or if I'm cruising at a little bit higher RPM at about 25 to 3 Grand and stab it it sputters and goes... If I roll into it a little easier or just flat get on it, it gets down and goes.. the a/f gauge shows 13.2 or so at Idol and gets down into the 11 and 10 at Cruise but pops back up to about a 12-1 with the air doors not really opening all the way at wide open throttle...

I was reading somewhere where it said one and a half turns in is maximum and anything more on and you need smaller jet two and a half turns out was maximum out and any more you needed bigger Jets. I'm at one and a half turns in and still a bit rich so I think these smaller primaries may help.
Two things I wanted to try was not hooking up the two carbs together and warming the car up and seeing if I can blip the throttle on each one and make the secondary doors flick open when done separately.. and also I wanted to poke a vacuum gauge onto the manifold vacuum port and see what I get because I have no actual manifold vacuum port..

Well then I have to set these a lot lighter because they barely kind of bobble halfway open..
I didn't say the flap flew open, I said the response was like an electric motor - RIGHT NOW!

Screenshot_20200305-071405.png

I've tried calling that LWA performance and just get a recording to leave a message and they're helping other customers blah blah blah or dial 301 and get Rob Walden and that just leads to a full mailbox. Feeling like this would be a dead end...

I've thought about starting a separate thread for this subject, but really who else is going to do this..

I've thought about starting a separate thread for this subject, but really who else is going to do this..
it may be a LONG time before we see another 2 street demons on top of a tunnel ram...

I wasn’t going to make any comments about tuning or adding holes to the air door, since I have zero experience with those particular carbs.
I can tell from some responses from others, that their experience with carbs that utilize spring loaded secondary air doors(avs, TQ, Q jet) is the same as mine.
In that...... when it bogs, the door is opening too fast.

It does seem odd to me, based on previous experiences with spring loaded air door carbs, that the proposed solution is to make the door open sooner.

I’m not saying it’s not the correct solution...... I’m simply saying, if that is the solution, it’s contradictory to what I(and apparently others as well) have found to normally be how you go about eliminating the bog on that “style” of carb.

Be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I wasn’t going to make any comments about tuning or adding holes to the air door, since I have zero experience with those particular carbs.
I can tell from some responses from others, that their experience with carbs that utilize spring loaded secondary air doors(avs, TQ, Q jet) is the same as mine.
In that...... when it bogs, the door is opening too fast.

It does seem odd to me, based on previous experiences with spring loaded air door carbs, that the proposed solution is to make the door open sooner.

I’m not saying it’s not the correct solution...... I’m simply saying, if that is the solution, it’s contradictory to what I(and apparently others as well) have found to normally be how you go about eliminating the bog on that “style” of carb.

Be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
I think this problem might be unique to a dual quad application. I think the same thing is everybody else, the problem is the doors are not opening or barely opening. My thought is that the vacuum signal just getting taken up by not only two primary but having to split what's left between two secondaries??..
I have some options as in just disconnecting the rear secondary function. Also I could spring load those door so they won't open under any circumstance.. if you read that article though they have a 409 and I have a 410 and they're using it in a dual quad application. Like you like dyno's and everything..
I just got my confirmation that my four air doors will be here on Thursday next week so it won't hurt to give it a shot I have plenty to spare..??

Last edited:
I think this problem might be unique to a dual quad application. Well I think the same thing is everybody else no, the problem is their doors are not opening or barely opening. My thought is that the vacuum signal just getting taken up by not only two primary but having to split what's left between two secondaries??..
I have some options as in just disconnecting the rear secondary function. Also I could spring load those door so they won't open under any circumstance.. if you read that article though they have a 409 and I have a 410 and they're using it in a dual quad application. Like you like dyno's and everything..
I just got my confirmation that my four air doors will be here on Thursday next week so it won't hurt to give it a shot I have plenty to spare..??

I think you are on the right track with adding holes to get some air moving through the doors to get them to open.

I'm thinking your big isn't from too much air and not enough pump shot to cover it, but with double the area of the carbs, I don't think there is enough air flow to get both doors open.

If the doors don't open, you won't get enough air moving through the booster to pull fuel. That's my working theory for now. I resent he right to change my mind like my wife does.

But I think you're on the right track. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I think you are on the right track with adding holes to get some air moving through the doors to get them to open.

I'm thinking your big isn't from too much air and not enough pump shot to cover it, but with double the area of the carbs, I don't think there is enough air flow to get both doors open.

If the doors don't open, you won't get enough air moving through the booster to pull fuel. That's my working theory for now. I resent he right to change my mind like my wife does.

But I think you're on the right track. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Yes I'm pretty curious to see what happens myself. I won't have the extra door flaps till next Thursday so I probably won't be doing any drilling until I see them...

-
Back