massive reconfiguration time again.

-
IMG_20200305_173635.jpg
IMG_20200305_173629.jpg
IMG_20200305_173525.jpg

In that article that showed the air flaps being drilled they were using a low-rise dual quad manifold. My question would be is the tunnel ram with an extra 2 and 1/2 inch rise creating even a weaker signal??..

Why not remove the air door, it seams your wanting the door open before the engine needs more fuel at rpm.
The answer is in the primary.

Why not remove the air door, it seams your wanting the door open before the engine needs more fuel at rpm.
Well I don't think removing the air door is going to help LOL... But yes I still got plenty of work to do on the primary circuit...

Well I don't think removing the air door is going to help LOL... But yes I still got plenty of work to do on the primary circuit...
Every review I've read on these carburetors or on the tune up kit itself says that there carburetors ran very rich out of the box. Most had to go to steps down in jets. I meant to buy one step down but I actually went to steps down on the primaries and left the secondaries alone for now. I was getting a 12.1 to 12.3 at wide open throttle but the air doors we're not opening all the way so I figured with a little more air that would have brought that up a bit where I like it..
I'm hoping the smaller primary jet clean up the cruise mode mostly..

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...-the-most-out-of-the-street-demon-carburetor/

Some good info, if you haven't found it already.

With the tunnel ram, your accel pump may need to be unreasonably huge. Plus there's some setup involved with the timing and stroke of the pump (detailed in the link).

If you're still having the low rpm part throttle stumbles, then maybe the step up springs need some attention (or the metering rods).

Will be curious to see what the solution is once you work it out, a tunnel ram is one of my "bucket list" items as well, but likely with efi.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...-the-most-out-of-the-street-demon-carburetor/

Some good info, if you haven't found it already.

With the tunnel ram, your accel pump may need to be unreasonably huge. Plus there's some setup involved with the timing and stroke of the pump (detailed in the link).

If you're still having the low rpm part throttle stumbles, then maybe the step up springs need some attention (or the metering rods).

Will be curious to see what the solution is once you work it out, a tunnel ram is one of my "bucket list" items as well, but likely with efi.
Yes I've read that article probably three or four times. Probably read every article on this carburetor three or four times lol again the only one I could find on a dual quad was the one I've been talking about. really what I need is more time just driving and trying things out. Luckily I've been pretty busy with work which is allow me more of a budget to buy the things like Jets metering rods and other things to try things out. I'm sure I'll get it sorted but it's not going to happen overnight..

I think, and I can be wrong (all you fools would testify to that in court) but it seems to me that you need to be able to Taylor the air flow to the secondaries by changing when the door open. Jpar doubled the secondary area, but he didn't double the airflow through the engine.

If the carbs are designed for the airflow you'd get through one carb, and you double it, you may not be able to get the spring tension low enough to pull both doors open.

In my mind that makes sense, but...in the jury room today 11 people had to question my knowledge of the English language and English composition. So it may not make sense the way I'm saying it, or it may not make sense at all.

Either way, I'm enjoying a ginger ale and enjoying Jpar working his way through this.

Well I got good news and I got bad news. The good news is I don't think I have work Sunday Monday and Tuesday and the weather appears to be decent dry at the very least. I guess the really only bad news is that there's no local parts as far as metering rods and primary Jets for these carburetors so I get what I get and then I have to order and wait.... Hopefully accidentally I ordered the correct primary Jets... the only thing locally I can get is the secondary jets that are standard Holley. And again as far as trying some different configurations with the rear air door I have to wait till next Thursday for those to get here... Anyways I need to get this primary circuit under control... First things first...

I think, and I can be wrong (all you fools would testify to that in court) but it seems to me that you need to be able to Taylor the air flow to the secondaries by changing when the door open. Jpar doubled the secondary area, but he didn't double the airflow through the engine.

If the carbs are designed for the airflow you'd get through one carb, and you double it, you may not be able to get the spring tension low enough to pull both doors open.

In my mind that makes sense, but...in the jury room today 11 people had to question my knowledge of the English language and English composition. So it may not make sense the way I'm saying it, or it may not make sense at all.

Either way, I'm enjoying a ginger ale and enjoying Jpar working his way through this.
You've been found guilty more than once. LOL :D
I believe jpar will get it figured out. I have no clue.
I like either 2 or 4 accelerator pumps.
A 4spd masks some of what an auto won't.

Yes I've read that article probably three or four times. Probably read every article on this carburetor three or four times lol again the only one I could find on a dual quad was the one I've been talking about. really what I need is more time just driving and trying things out. Luckily I've been pretty busy with work which is allow me more of a budget to buy the things like Jets metering rods and other things to try things out. I'm sure I'll get it sorted but it's not going to happen overnight..

Figured as much, but you never know..

I did notice the article on the 409 is actually a 481in stroker.. For what that's worth.

You've been found guilty more than once. LOL :D
I believe jpar will get it figured out. I have no clue.
I like either 2 or 4 accelerator pumps.
A 4spd masks some of what an auto won't.
yes of course with a stick shift I could just push in the clutch rev it up and dump it and get out of town.. but I like my stuff running perfect..

There can be helpful hints in articles and stuff, but each engine will have it's own requirement. I'll say this, it's been like a monkey with his fist in a hole, won't let go and will be there for hours and hours trying to figure it out :D

Well I got good news and I got bad news. The good news is I don't think I have work Sunday Monday and Tuesday and the weather appears to be decent dry at the very least. I guess the really only bad news is that there's no local parts as far as metering rods and primary Jets for these carburetors so I get what I get and then I have to order and wait.... Hopefully accidentally I ordered the correct primary Jets... the only thing locally I can get is the secondary jets that are standard Holley. And again as far as trying some different configurations with the rear air door I have to wait till next Thursday for those to get here... Anyways I need to get this primary circuit under control... First things first...

I may have some Holley jets here if you need them. Let me know what you need and if I have them, I'll drop them in the mail.

I may have some Holley jets here if you need them. Let me know what you need and if I have them, I'll drop them in the mail.
I'm sure you have plenty and I'm not even into the secondaries yet... What are fuel gauge wasn't showing anything severely bad at wide open throttle. The short and skinny of the matter is Baxter's is 5 blocks away and they sell them for five bucks a set. Again the problem becomes just having easy access to Street Demon specific metering rods and primary Jets. Without having to buy two $75 tune kits.. which only have four or five sets of primary Jets one of which is the eighties that come in the damn carburetor LOL

any update
No carbs are still sitting on the bench. Tomorrow I have to work and it was raining today and it will rain tomorrow. I'm hoping I have Sunday Monday Tuesday off and the rain is supposed to stop for those days. Hopefully Sunday I'll get a test and if I feel I need to order something I can order it Sunday night and hopefully be here early on Tuesday to try... Really meaning Jets or metering rods because there's nothing local..

Yea it doesn't look like good carburetor tuning weather for the first part of the weekend.
and driving on wet pavement is out of the question

Yea it doesn't look like good carburetor tuning weather for the first part of the weekend.
and driving on wet pavement is out of the question
unless a miracle happens as well I won't have those air doors till next Thursday but again I'd like to get the primary circuit cleaned up and my cruz working properly...

No work till Wednesday!! and just ask my wife if it's just me and the duster for the next 3 days do you have anything for me and she said let me think... fudge! LOL...
Supposed to be decent weather the next few days and I'm hoping to get some stuff sorted out... if anything I can continue working on the fuel side plumbing for the nitrous and navigate to start on working on the electrical part of it as well. But for this thread it's going to be working on the carburetors....
Then Wednesday it will be the 63 Ford Fairlane, Thursday and Friday the 65 Malibu, Saturday the 51 Chevy, Sunday the 69 Fairlane wagon drag car I'm probably back to the 65 GTO on Monday... I've been pretty busy lately but it keeps the financing good for the fun stuff...

No work till Wednesday!! and just ask my wife if it's just me and the duster for the next 3 days do you have anything for me and she said let me think... fudge! LOL...
Supposed to be decent weather the next few days and I'm hoping to get some stuff sorted out... if anything I can continue working on the fuel side plumbing for the nitrous and navigate to start on working on the electrical part of it as well. But for this thread it's going to be working on the carburetors....
Then Wednesday it will be the 63 Ford Fairlane, Thursday and Friday the 65 Malibu, Saturday the 51 Chevy, Sunday the 69 Fairlane wagon drag car I'm probably back to the 65 GTO on Monday... I've been pretty busy lately but it keeps the financing good for the fun stuff...

If you are getting new air doors on Thursday you can put some small holes in yours and if it helps you can increase the hole size until you need to tighten up the spring. If you go too big, you'll have new doors on Thursday.

-
Back