massive reconfiguration time again.

-
I finally got a good start on the duster and feeling out where I left off. First I tightened the k frame. Had to set up the cherry picker to lift the motor to get the driverside header in. Had to finish wrapping the passenger side and installed it as well. Went ahead and changed the oil filter while I was there.
IMG_20180224_180458.jpg
IMG_20180224_181107.jpg

Uh, how the hell dose your steering pass those headers?

I hope that's just the angle of the pic? But dam that looks close. I thought my headers were tight...

:)

Uh, how the hell dose your steering pass those headers?

I hope that's just the angle of the pic? But dam that looks close. I thought my headers were tight...

:)
It's actually the torsion bars that get really close, but it touches the milodon pan. Which good Lord, don't even get me started with that pile of crap.

Well anybody who's ever put in headers on an a body knows you need to lift the motor with the cherry picker. Of course mine disassembles and is stored against the wall when not needed. So knowing all that how many people think that I disassembled and put it away last night and then remembered this morning that I forgot to spray the headers with silicone spray and must come back out to do so? SOME BEACH! somewhere...
IMG_20180225_083240.jpg

Turned on the heat and heading out to the garage to get something done and guess what I'm going to start? LOL pulling them damn headers back out and spray painting them. Maybe I'll get back on that headliner a little bit also. I don't really want to start connecting things underneath until I get the headers in. I don't want the z bar or the starter or any of that stuff in the way of that driver side. It's a pain with everything out of the way. When I read the directions on the spray can it didn't say anything about cure time except for that cures after it's been brought up to 400° which I don't see that happening anytime soon. So I guess I'll just spray paint them and hope they are dry enough to install.

Turned on the heat and heading out to the garage to get something done and guess what I'm going to start? LOL pulling them damn headers back out and spray painting them. Maybe I'll get back on that headliner a little bit also. I don't really want to start connecting things underneath until I get the headers in. I don't want the z bar or the starter or any of that stuff in the way of that driver side. It's a pain with everything out of the way. When I read the directions on the spray can it didn't say anything about cure time except for that cures after it's been brought up to 400° which I don't see that happening anytime soon. So I guess I'll just spray paint them and hope they are dry enough to install.

Can't find where you posted the reason for wrapping those headers like a mummy. So far are you mentioned you were going to but not a reason for doing it. I thought rapping them like that held moisture and rusted the tubes out. What is the post nimber explaining doing this?

Can't find where you posted the reason for wrapping those headers like a mummy. So far are you mentioned you were going to but not a reason for doing it. I thought rapping them like that held moisture and rusted the tubes out. What is the post nimber explaining doing this?
Yeah holding in the water and rusted and all that is pretty much a problem for a daily Street driven car. One that is garage kept and only brought out on nice days is not going to have any moisture problems or resting likely. They're just cheap junk Summit headers I've had for way too long that are still working just fine that I'm kind of putting a little lipstick on and for the first time I'm putting a hood on the car so also to keep temperatures down would be nice under the hood. But really it's mostly cosmetic. Also something I've never tried. Likely in a couple of years these will be replaced with something nice for the first time anyways. Trying some new stuff and kind of using what I have.

Got lucky! The headers pulled out like they were greased. Hung up in a tree and sprayed them. I wore a respirator of course and then after a while brought them in the garage because it's more warm and they can dry. Instantly stunk too bad and took them out back. Fold my wife's heavy bag off the holder and dangled the headers from it. It's probably too cold out there to cure the paint but I just can't take the smell.

I was able to change the yolks on the Driveline. I got all my plastic and door cards all settled. I'm not going to use some of the space duster panels behind the seat. And even the side little panels next to the seat I'm going to delete and just put a little patch of carpet or headliner there. it's all about saving the firewall behind the fold down seat. I still have the fuel cell inside the trunk along with the battery. I don't want to have to hack up my nice Plastics. Also I don't need the metal deck that comes out from the trunk area to the back of the back seat. It wouldn't fit in with the firewall either and also not needed. The carpet kit fit way better when I turned the backseat piece around and everything actually fit correctly. LOL I brought the headers back in and installed them and put the oil filter back on. They gave me a bit of a fight going back in for some reason. I got all the 4-speed stuff laid out. Had to take the ears off the vertigate, take the pistol grip off the Hurst shifter mechanism and put the ball shifter on it. Just kind of make all three into one that I want.
I actually have stuff pretty laid out for some productive days ahead and have Great Hopes of having the car down to the last few things that I have to spend money on or do a lot of fabrication on by the middle of March. I believe the last big projects after getting the headliner in will definitely be the dashboard cutting the hole in the hood and making sure the new doors are functioning, painted, and lined properly.
IMG_20180226_121017_1.jpg
IMG_20180226_125452.jpg
IMG_20180226_143904.jpg

IMG_20180226_173415.jpg

Okay going at it this morning. The carpet out and looking at the four speed hump here and I remember I have a little fabrication to do here. It looks like I was pretty anxious to get that vertigate in there, but luckily I saved the piece I cut out. I'll get it all tacked up later. I want to get underneath and get some of this linkage hooked up and get the motor mounts and everything all tight. I might even be able to get the Driveline back in also. I'll start with the mini starter, sounds like a good place to start...
IMG_20180227_111820.jpg

Also I was able to bring the Dual quads in out of the corner of the dining room which I'm sure my wife likes. Not that she ever says anything but do whatever you want, but let's be real here...

Okay going at it this morning. The carpet out and looking at the four speed hump here and I remember I have a little fabrication to do here. It looks like I was pretty anxious to get that vertigate in there, but luckily I saved the piece I cut out. I'll get it all tacked up later. I want to get underneath and get some of this linkage hooked up and get the motor mounts and everything all tight. I might even be able to get the Driveline back in also. I'll start with the mini starter, sounds like a good place to start...
View attachment 1715147031

So you are putting the stick back in?

Put the starter, z bar, and driveline in. Put together and adjusted all of my best 4 Speed linkage. Got the 4 speed hump all banged out and ready to tack together. I'm going to wait till I get the lower control arms and torsion bars until I put the exhaust together. That will just be connecting the headers at both ends.
I know ended up at the end of the day deciding to go at that dang headliner. I got everything kind of lined up as far as the Plastics go and I'm ready to start making sure I have all the correct screws. I need one more test fit with the uncovered headliner template I made and then I'm going to cover it and make it permanent.

I'm going to finish the headliner on the thread I have for it in the interior part of the Forum. It's quite a little extensive project so it needed kind of it's own thread and definitely has nothing to do with racing. But again as a reminder everything I'm doing here is so I can make the car more comfortable to go to the track more often and race more often. I'll just come back to this thread with a kind of one picture and "ta-da" it's done.

Okay I should be able to turn Focus off the headliner and within the next day or so. And back on to some more reconfiguration. I've already looked at what's coming up on my plate next and it looks like SPAGHETTI!
IMG_20180302_110851.jpg

SPAGHETTI ? Looks like a fire hazard to me. I have faith in you. it will be nice and neat when done. won't it ?

WHOLE-EEEEEEEEEEEE-CRAP. That's a mess.
Now if you trace your wires in that picture real closely LOL if you look where that squiggly piece of metal that I have Holden the whole operation meets the wood bench, you'll see a piece of aluminum with two finger tighteners and what looks like a strip of two-sided tape on it? The two-step buttons connected to that! LOL!

-
Back