massive reconfiguration time again.

-
SPAGHETTI ? Looks like a fire hazard to me. I have faith in you. it will be nice and neat when done. won't it ?
Trust me I bet 3/4 of this forum looks ten times worse than that! It's just hiding up under the dash and you can't see it. Yes this is a golden opportunity to walk right up to that big spaghetti mass and get it fixed at right like we always wanted it. Not upside down with a flashlight and a piece of electrical tape trying to twist some wires together! But actually out on a bench in front of me where I can use solder and shrink wrap and make things nice?!

Now if you trace your wires in that picture real closely LOL if you look where that squiggly piece of metal that I have Holden the whole operation meets the wood bench, you'll see a piece of aluminum with two finger tighteners and what looks like a strip of two-sided tape on it? The two-step buttons connected to that! LOL!

I'll take you word for it!! I have trouble with technical terms finger tighteners. I know somewhere in that copper jungle there should be a relay for the two step. I can't see one, but I'm sure it's there.

Okay headliner is completely finished and installed. Piece of cake. All the upper Plastics are in the rear side panels are in and one of the armrest. The rear seats are in also. Tomorrow I'll do a little finish up work on the trim around that back seat and the back deck and then on to the spaghetti. Which I'm already starting to dissect that a little bit and doesn't look as bad as it looks lol
IMG_20180302_164850.jpg
IMG_20180302_164836.jpg

Dashboard
IMG_20180303_162511.jpg

Minus spaghetti..
IMG_20180303_162515.jpg

And these are the gauges and extra spaghetti I had added to that spaghetti LOL...
IMG_20180303_162831.jpg

Okay my wife might be correct about this and then putting it out here for your opinion but she says I'm watching Batman on Saturday nights waaaay too much...
So I'm thinking modify the ashtray just a little bit and the two-step controller and Presto when you open the ashtray there's the 2-Step controller? And the glove box the six Al inside the glove box door and be able to adjust the high rev limiter?
IMG_20180304_131147.jpg
IMG_20180304_130132.jpg
IMG_20180304_130147.jpg

Okay my wife might be correct about this and then putting it out here for your opinion but she says I'm watching Batman on Saturday nights waaaay too much...
So I'm thinking modify the ashtray just a little bit and the two-step controller and Presto when you open the ashtray there's the 2-Step controller? And the glove box the six Al inside the glove box door and be able to adjust the high rev limiter?
View attachment 1715149412 View attachment 1715149414 View attachment 1715149415

If the glove box is sealed you don't want to mount the 6AL in there. It won't have enough air flow to cool the box and they do weird stuff when they get hot.

If the glove box is sealed you don't want to mount the 6AL in there. It won't have enough air flow to cool the box and they do weird stuff when they get hot.
I reckon I can open the glove box for air flow? LOL It does make sense though. On the other hand it was always right there up on the fender. of course my Fender walls being Day 2 black and no hood and never had what I thought was a problem. But you saying this now will definitely jinx me so I've got to give it some thought.

Why not just ditch the cardboard glove box and make an aluminum wall behind the door?
Not like your were gonna mount to card board any way, right?

A few bends and your done.

I moved my MSD to the passenger side inner fire wall when I replaced all the wiring.

Here's where mine is. This is not the finished pic, just one I snapped while working on the wiring.

Now there's another fuse block above the painless one that fuses all the red leads.

20171211_153401_zpsg1b8weo4.jpg

Just to the left side out of the frame is my 2 step and coil.

Trust me I bet 3/4 of this forum looks ten times worse than that! It's just hiding up under the dash and you can't see it. Yes this is a golden opportunity to walk right up to that big spaghetti mass and get it fixed at right like we always wanted it. Not upside down with a flashlight and a piece of electrical tape trying to twist some wires together! But actually out on a bench in front of me where I can use solder and shrink wrap and make things nice?!

Sorry Batman, you are in the 75%
Fix that crap, before you ever put a battery in it.
22oucp.jpg

Why not just ditch the cardboard glove box and make an aluminum wall behind the door?
Not like your were gonna mount to card board any way, right?

A few bends and your done.

I moved my MSD to the passenger side inner fire wall when I replaced all the wiring.
Yeah that was kind of my first thought was building a little wall back there behind the glove box door. I definitely do want that open the door and there it is kind of thing. Which got me a little bit on the fence about building that, is it's not the old cardboard kind. It seems I have this newer one that's hard plastic kind of two piece that folds together. Possibly I could use just the bottom half of it and that way getting more circulation underneath there?
IMG_20180305_164821.jpg
IMG_20180305_164834.jpg

I was thinking something like that but with no bottom. You could make it as.close to the door as you want. Of course I have a full sheet metal shop so something that takes me 10 min ain't as easy for other folks.
:)

You could always make a heavy paper templent then hammer fold the aluminum over the edge of a solid work bench. (Or the kitchen counter?)

Last edited:
Yeah that was kind of my first thought was building a little wall back there behind the glove box door. I definitely do want that open the door and there it is kind of thing. Which got me a little bit on the fence about building that, is it's not the old cardboard kind. It seems I have this newer one that's hard plastic kind of two piece that folds together. Possibly I could use just the bottom half of it and that way getting more circulation underneath there?
View attachment 1715149716 View attachment 1715149720

As long as air can circulate around the ignition box you can put it in the glove box. The half box idea should work. I even like the idea of the two step in the ashtray (unless like me you smoke a stogie while you drive...then you need the ash tray). Just remember the ignition box generates quite a bit of heat. If it doesn't get some air circulating around it, it will give you issues.

I was thinking something like that but with no bottom. You could make it as.close to the door as you want. Of course I have a full sheet metal shop so something that takes me 10 min ain't as easy for other folks.
:)

You could always make a heavy paper templent then hammer fold the aluminum over the edge of a solid work bench. (Or the kitchen counter?)
Oh yes that's the method I use when I bend metal. It's all by hand clamping things down and banging. And I love it! Thank goodness I used to do a lot of scrap metal in so I have a small decent supply of sheet metal and aluminum sheets. And even a little bit of stainless steel. Tomorrow is a goner got to do projects for a friend. But Wednesday and Thursday I should be full tilt on all things that are wiring in the dashboard. I'm going to try and stay completely focused on all this wiring and dashboard until it's 90% done at least. I was able to get the dashboard painted today so that was a good thing. That should have me set up to hit the ground running on Wednesday I hope.

Ha ha, I hear ya on the 90 percent deal. I go all hell bent to finish and around 90 percent I loose interest and move on... my wiring is at 90 percent now but with the engine going in next weekend I got to finish it...

Ha ha, I hear ya on the 90 percent deal. I go all hell bent to finish and around 90 percent I loose interest and move on... my wiring is at 90 percent now but with the engine going in next weekend I got to finish it...
Yeah that's where I've got a little bit of a jump. The motor and transmission are tried-and-true. Installed and pretty much ready to hook up the shifter. Everything was 11.5 to 11.7 and runnin like a top. I usually just change the oil, pull the distributor, run the oil pump and prime the filter and all. I won't need to turn the motor over or anything, I already know the heads are oiling.

OK, yesterday I was on a mission to get this wiring going and I did. Did a little bit of shopping and got everything in a way to get started. Got things backed off and sorted. Got a game plan. Hopefully today I'll get some execution in!! LOL
I had the O2 sensor out on the hood and the oil gauge was cut into the dash and my water temperature and voltage hung from underneath the dash. I bought a little cheap triple gauge set for the voltage water and oil to put underneath now and I use that hole in the dash for the wideband O2. That cleaned up one of those big piles of wires and now I can just wire this new stuff in nice and neat. Also cleaned up the appearance of the dash tremendously.
I will be able to mount the MSD on the back wall of that plastic glove box. I'll drill kind of a large hole above it as it'll be there where the heater box gets its air from the 8 inch hole in the bottom of the cowl.
As a matter of fact when I think about it, that's probably why my passenger plastic window would blow out going over the Finish Line at the drag strip because the pressure from outside was probably blowing through there?

-
Back