Master cyclender question.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok its been a wile but I have to ask the, rear of my master is almost empty,me has a leak some were.So is the rear for the front brakes or the rear brakes,i kind of wonder why the brakes did not seam right.i have manual 4 drum brakes,as of now i see no drips but under were the master bolts to the fire wall the paint look not right but dry.I will fill it up tomorrow and see if it leaks there,but for now need to know my first question.PS all wheel cyl and lines are like 2 years old but who can say how long **** last now a days we do live in a throw away world. now.

..rear reservoir is for front brakes Don.
..if your front wheel cylinders are leaking they will grab when the shoes get contaminated.
...al

If it's manual brakes, the leak could be inside the car. Look up underneath the dash for signs of moisture.

The larger section of the resivoir is front brakes the smaller portion in the rear brakes. Fluid leaking from the mater cylinder itself will show up on booster or outside of firewall or inside of firewall. Then the rubber hoses, then the backing plates, backside of tires.
Evidence is always there somewhere even if its just accumulated nastiness caused by a very slow leak.

Thanks all going to have a close look tonight if I have time its Cindys and i 27 wedding anniversary today:cheers:

..when we bore our engines we put in larger pistons and rings...
..when a master cylinder is rebuilt/honed the same size pistons are re- installed
..that is why re-man master have a hi leak/failure rate.
..new can cost a little more but sometimes is worth it.

..new can cost a little more but sometimes is worth it.

Not sometimes, it is always worth it.

It's been said that if there was any part to buy new on a car, it is the MC.
Stopping is good....:thumleft:

Happy Aniversary !!!!

The other problem with rebuilt MC's is that when they hone the cylinder, it can leave sharp edges at the ports that tear the piston seal, at least that happened in my 65 Newport with a fairly new MC.

It is cheap to rebuild a whole drum brake system and within most shade-trees abilities. Just follow a manual and don't Billy-Bob anything. New wheel cylinders are often $6, so no sense rebuilding. If you don't want rusty internals and ruined paint, you can use silicone fluid. I do, as does the U.S. military, but many on FABO imagine problems.

-
Back