Master Cylinder Question

-

6PakBee

Reaction score
The master cylinder on my '67 Belvedere is leaking like the Missouri river. This appears to be the the same M/C as used on the four wheel manual drum 'A' body applications of the same year. The M/C has the four studs that go through the firewall with the nuts on the passenger compartment side. I can't find ANY replacement M/C's, even NOS ones that have the studs. Do I have to remove the studs from the old M/C and install them in the new one? The '67 FSM does not address this at all. The '67 parts book does not show a listing for the studs as a separate item. I am lost.

Got one for my '66 Satelite HP2 off of Amazon to replace mine until I can rebuild the OE (shown). Complete push rod and all. Not back home for about 10 days to get you a part number, etc
20220418_162527.jpg

Ricks mopars on eBay ( Rick eherenburg of mopar action). Go to a store and send him a message, more than likely he will have what you need or know where to get it.

The master cylinder on my '67 Belvedere is leaking like the Missouri river. This appears to be the the same M/C as used on the four wheel manual drum 'A' body applications of the same year.
Yep, it is the same. See attached from the '67 FPC.
The M/C has the four studs that go through the firewall with the nuts on the passenger compartment side. I can't find ANY replacement M/C's, even NOS ones that have the studs.
Because that's not how the car was built. Just like on an A-body, the studs protrude forward from the firewall, and the nuts go on the master cylinder. Somebody hacked up your car for some reason; it falls to you to fix it.Start with a good new master cylinder: Raybestos № MC36221 for your '67.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 12.57.39.jpg

You will have to reuse your studs. By the chart it looks like all 4 of yours are nutted inside the car and only 2 on c bodies A bodies do not use the stud as shown in the chart

Yep, it is the same. See attached from the '67 FPC.Because that's not how the car was built. Just like on an A-body, the studs protrude forward from the firewall, and the nuts go on the master cylinder. Somebody hacked up your car for some reason; it falls to you to fix it.Start with a good new master cylinder: Raybestos № MC36221 for your '67.

View attachment 1715985532
Boy, I don't know. I have another '67 Belvedere with manual drums and a'67 Satellite with manual drums and both have the same arrangement, studs with nuts on the passenger compartment side.

Why you're very welcome and if I offended with my picture of A body parts I can delete it just as easily as it was added. Regardless of how you want it to be you are going to have to replace the studs as @slantsixdan mentioned above unless of course you just shove any old bolts w/nut in the the holes and move on, hell you could put some TapCons or a molly screw, butterfly nut in their as far as this "A" body guy is concerned.

Last edited:
Sigh. First off I am not offended by anyone trying to help. Secondly, the studs you are showing in the first picture look suspiciously like the front of a power brake booster, not a firewall. The nut/washer/stud arrangement you are showing in the second picture are for the clutch bracket, not the brake bracket. And finally, in the last picture I can't see a fastener between the M/C and the brake bracket. There does seem to be an indication of studs between the M/C and the gasket but it's not clear. Two listings for an NOS M/C on the web showed M/C's with no studs. In my first post I said I had researched both the '67 FSM and the '67 parts book. So the last two pictures are nothing new.

Why you're very welcome and if I offended with my picture of A body parts I can delete it just as easily as it was added. Regardless of how you want it to be you are going to have to replace the studs as @slantsixdan mentioned above unless of course you just shove any old bolts w/nut in the the holes and move on, hell you could put some TapCons or a molly screw, butterfly nut in their as far as this "A" body guy is concerned.

View attachment 1715985581

View attachment 1715985583
View attachment 1715985587

PS: A little research can go a long way
Sad thing is, as a Carpenter, I've used Thousands of those "alternative" fasteners. Just NEVER on my Mopars! Lol

Sigh. First off I am not offended by anyone trying to help. Secondly, the studs you are showing in the first picture look suspiciously like the front of a power brake booster, not a firewall. The nut/washer/stud arrangement you are showing in the second picture are for the clutch bracket, not the brake bracket. And finally, in the last picture I can't see a fastener between the M/C and the brake bracket. There does seem to be an indication of studs between the M/C and the gasket but it's not clear. Two listings for an NOS M/C on the web showed M/C's with no studs. In my first post I said I had researched both the '67 FSM and the '67 parts book. So the last two pictures are nothing new.
I know how much of a pain in the a** is is to get up underneath the dashboard to see whats going on, been there a million times and had to be pulled out a few times. Please post up some photos of the MC and mounting location(s)when you get time. The bolt attached to the brake pedal bracket allows for one person to perform the swap from under the hood without having a 2nd person up under the dash to hold a wrench.
Cheers

Well, here we have it. They are serrated head studs that are pressed into the M/C. I honed the bore this afternoon and it looks like I'll get by with a kit. And life goes on.

1967 Manual Drum Brake MC-1.JPG

1967 Manual Drum Brake MC-2.JPG

View attachment 1715985581

View attachment 1715985583
View attachment 1715985587

PS: A little research can go a long way
you can see the studs are already in the master in your bottom pic

Right, the studs can be pressed or knocked in and out with a hammer, and transferred to another master cylinder.

-
Back