Master cylinder ?

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm trying to pick out a master cylinder I have been doing some searching and reading on here and it seems like everyone suggests to use s 15/16 bore non power. I have a 75 with front disk and rear drums for now. But in the future I'm gonna be doing a 8.8 swap with disk brakes so I want to pick a mc that will work with both. I found a Dorman 15/16 at summit but it says for power brakes will it still work ok with my manual disk brakes? The part number is
Dorman Brake Master Cylinders M80266

Does anyone know the brake line fitting sizes used on mopars I know the master cylinder ones are 9/16x20 does anyone know the brake hose and distribution valve sizes?

The cast-iron one will work, but heavy and the lids tend to leak. With a 2-4 bolt adapter plate ($30 ebay), you can use a later aluminum MC. Many use mid-80's Dodge truck one and Dr Diff sells w/ plate (many posts). You need a proportioning valve w/ disk/drum and perhaps an adjustable one w/ disk/disk since your Ford rear disks aren't designed to match. Changing to rear disks shouldn't change the MC, other than perhaps the reservoir sizes which isn't critical.

I'm gonna try this again I'm about to order my mc I want to make sure I get the right one. Will the 15/16 work good for non power front disks and rear drums or should I get a larger bore?

That is the size I used for manual disc brakes. Had a 1-1/32 bore first but the petal was too hard to push.
you will be fine using any mc under 1" bore.

Just from my experience lately, I have power brakes with discs up front. Could never get good stopping power with 1-1/32 master no matter what. Today put on a 15/16 master and my Demon stops excellent. This made my brakes great again.

Got mine in the mail today!!!

20181016_171713.jpg

The cast-iron one will work, but heavy and the lids tend to leak. With a 2-4 bolt adapter plate ($30 ebay), you can use a later aluminum MC. Many use mid-80's Dodge truck one and Dr Diff sells w/ plate (many posts). You need a proportioning valve w/ disk/drum and perhaps an adjustable one w/ disk/disk since your Ford rear disks aren't designed to match. Changing to rear disks shouldn't change the MC, other than perhaps the reservoir sizes which isn't critical.
When the time comes I'm probably gonna need some help with the porportioning valve!!

I have a question I'm going ask here so I don't have to start a new thread. What size drums would I have? I have a 75 dodge dart with orginal lbp and front disk brakes the rear is 71/4. I'm on rock auto getting ready to order new wheel cylinders and spring kit and it has 2 sizes listed 9 and 10 inch and I'd rather not have to go take my wheel off right now to measure it lol thanks for your help.

-
Back