Masters of Motors (MOM) the new EngineMasters Challenge (EMC)

-
The rules.......I finally read them and I like them........they sound kinda familiar.

Bring your own tools
. Sounds like common sense right? Uh-huh, but.........been to dyno contests where some competitors didn't bring any tools at all, NONE. Said they thought they were provided at the contest. What?!.....If something happens you figure you are going to fish through a strange tool box or two to find the wrench you need in a hurry?

Once we provided parts, jets, tools or tuning assistance to every competitor there. Yes it was the right thing to do, but why was it even necessary? You need to go prepared!

Or there are the ones who bring some special extras. At a big block MOPAR contest one person came with tools, jumbled together, in a single cardboard box....including some stock factory Chevy small block connecting rods!

Water pumps.........belt driven off the crankshaft. Everyone was using a loose belt to get slippage during the pull thinking they were saving horsepower. We tested the theory before going and found a tight belt made more power every time than a belt flopping around like a fish out of water.

Now if you could get your belt to fly off during the run...well....that was worth some power. That run should have been disqualified. Oh how I wanted to fuss about that. It would have kept us at the most horsepower in the contest even though we were some 50 cubic inches smaller.

How many vanes does the water pump impeller need to provide cooling during the run? Didn't test that one, just cut half of them off to keep the pump in balance. Might have been able to go down to just two. Who knows?

LOL. I’m driving 3.5 hours to dyno in June (hopefully) because the dyno 15 minutes from my house is tired fo fighting the city over him running it, and I've got a list of all the tools, jets, bleeds, timing light etc I’m bringing. It is a PITA to travel that far to dyno, and then get there and not have something you need.

I traveled about three hours to dyno my 434. I took all of my carburetor tools and tuning parts. Took a set of wrenches, feeler gauges, spark plugs and a socket to change them.

LOL. I’m driving 3.5 hours to dyno in June (hopefully) because the dyno 15 minutes from my house is tired fo fighting the city over him running it, and I've got a list of all the tools, jets, bleeds, timing light etc I’m bringing. It is a PITA to travel that far to dyno, and then get there and not have something you need.

Kinda like going to the race track but include the whole rest of the car.

I like the way you think but no way no how is a small cube engine like this going to like a header any larger than 1 5/8". I do have some room to play with primary lengths and collector design. Oh yeah and **** this virus! J.Rob
I know Barry Cox has a steel crank for a 340 and some heads, which I think are J heads.

Kinda like going to the race track but include the whole rest of the car.

Yeah, screw that. I skipped this part last time and I’m not doing that again. Now I will know if I killed my intake manifold, if my big headers are killing my 340, if my ignition is junk and if I actually know how to tune a carb. Or not.

Knowing is much better than not knowing.

-
Back