Max RPM

-
No time? You are retired I thought! And your son was making antlers.?.

Do you enjoy staying busy? My dad is like that, He cannot sit still, and he is 73 going to church after waking up at 5 AM, driving a tractor for 6 hours in the Texas heat, doing something else for 2 hours and then driving back home for an hour and a half.-That's a Sunday. Week days for the past 40 years have been 4 AM and home around 8 PM. Tax payers truly got their money's worth from him. He is a terminator machine, not even human.

I thought I could catch up with the older generation, but they left me behind. Such self discipline, motivation, & determination. They could work circles and lap dozens of millennials and the rest of us.

What did the old man wizard say in 'Conan the Barbarian'? "Time to sleep in the grave."

Your dad sounds like my kinda guy. At 71 I get to the shop each morning around 6:00 AM. Cody makes the skulls and antlers. I make the shoulder, wall, desk and floor mounts for them. We do ornamental iron also. But the last job was for the local trash collector, modifying two 20' dumpsters and the truck that hauls them. Sundays are with my mother for Bible study and any real rest days off are in the mountains looking for antlers or hunting. I guess we'll do that right after the pintle hook attachment for the plumbers dump truck.

I see where the OP wants to head..... wide RPM range in the torque band. 2:1 is not really adequate for a wide torque band to do this well.... you really need to shoot for 2.4 or 2.5:1 good torque band minimum. This is coming from a background of rallying where it is the same thing: all sorts of corner radii and up and downhill so there is no 'optimum gear set you can pick like for a track. A 2:1 good torque RPM range does not cut it.

My advice: work on extending the low RPM end down rather than the high end up. You get your torque band wider more easily that way. And remember you do not need massive torque for what you contemplate... you need enough excess torque to get some rear wheel slippage in 3rd gear to achieve some rear steering by manipulating the throttle. (You MIGHT get enough torque in 4th gear with a big V8 to get some useful rear steering, but usually the gearing is not there to make 4th really usable for rear steering unless you have a 1:1 in 5th speed.)

-
Back