Maximum power with Schumacher Headers

-

mhuppertz

Reaction score
Will these headers be a big limitation on a big inch engine? I don't want to spend a ton of money and then hate the headers! I had Hooker 2" piece together headers on my '68 Hemi Road Runner and they were great, but that's overkill for this project.

We need the combo!Otherwise,check out Hooker Comps,or Flowtechs,Schumakers are for the street rod crowd!

If this gives you any idea. I run Schumacher headers on My 71 Scamp 500Hp 440. My car will run 12.00 with the mufflers still on. I am happy with how these headers performed on my car. My car will probably go faster with TTI's. But I like how the Schumachers fit.

On my 74 Duster
8 1/4 3.91 sure grip
It went a best of 11.59 with Shumacher headers.

IMGP1102.jpg

Maximum I don't know.

schumachers are minimum horse power.

I disagree. Some kinda bullshit shorty header would give even less results than Schumacher. At least the Schumachers are a full length header.

schumachers are minimum horse power.

i would have to agree with bob here ..there was a test done by some shop and i think posted on moparts...tti is better then those and tti didnt make the power ...they said that tti are great for fit but not all out power and the tti are a better header then the schumachers...but you dont have the problems with the fit...gotta give up something....:angry7:

There a good header for a lot of things, max HP is not one of them. They will allow for some decent power levels, just do not get nutty idea's in your head about 600+

thats right rumble ..as long as they work....

any of you boys running a 440, schumacher headers and power steering?

I am, fit is just fine. As long as the motor mounts you buy are the correct one's lol. Decent amount of clearance on the driver side.

Choose the header for the build.

74 Duster 11.50 car Schumacher's
IMGP1289.jpg

67 Dart 10.70 car tti's
IMGP0197.jpg

68 Dart9.50's Hooker Super Comp's.
Unknown-4.jpg

Unknown-1.jpg

Budget B-body headers in a A-body.
IMGP0784.jpg

IMGP0782.jpg

There's a right header for a build,just not one header for all builds.
It's best to buy the part for the build,not what it might become.
Marv

There is an article (either magazine or web) floating around where they tested both headers on one car. It was a late 60's Cuda I believe. On that car, on that day the TTI's (or whatever other header) did have some ET gain over the Schumachers. I think it was a case of the 440 being too much engine for the flow that the Schumachers produced. As I recall, the car was a mid-11 second car.

That being said, I ran them with two different 440's that were mild. I liked the fit, no leaks and they did just what they said they would. I'd run them again for sure.

Marv is right on the money. I have bought bigger parts than I needed for what the vehicle could be and then sold them because it never got there. Buy what you need for the car now.

I'm leaning in the TTI direction right now. I don't like the unequal length tubes on the Schuacher's. I hate then uneven sound unequal tubes make out the tail pipe. Bad for scavenging also.

i talked to the schumacher guys at the the mopar nationals, and they said as far as 1/4 mile times, it shouldnt hold you back til low 11's , or around 500 horsepower. but their better for low rpm engines, for good bottom and mid-range torque . @ hemimark, i ran a 440 with tri-y's and power steering for a while until i removed the power steering for manual .

I'm running Schumackers on my 512. I had them on my 446 and decided to keep them when I rebuilt. My car is a street car, so I don't feel bad about giving up a couple of tenths in the quarter. Plus I somewhat compensated by running a cam with more duration on the exhaust side.

engineprosystemcarb.jpg

i got the schumacher headers on my 70 duster with 440 ran power steering for the first year but switched to manual...fit awesome, like them alot as far as power there good on the street sound awesome uncapped... but now im gonna cut the innerfenders and try to track down a used set of fenderwell headers.... but guys i remember reading an article myself on the schumacher headers in a 383 barracuda i think at a test track day and they ran decent numbers

-
Back