May purchase 65 Barracuda

-
Unfortunately, unless you have a personal connection to an early Barracuda, they don't get a lot of love. You could get two very nice ones for the 25K value of your street rod. Sounds like it's not an "S" and could be or not be a Commando so your better off passing on it.

In my value research I have found 65's that have sold for the low to mid $20's. Of course they are very, very nice. I expected this out of this car. The exterior and interior show that well it's when I saw the engine compartment that convinced me that this is a $15000 car. Not that there was any real big issues but enough to tell me the car wasn't a pampered all original car. In my opinion in order for a 65 Barracuda to be worth $25k it has to be a near perfect ORIGINAL example, not concours but close. Hagerty has this valued at $35K in concours condition.
If the engine compartment would have looked just as delivered in terms of equipment I probably would be interested but things like original air cleaner missing, Chinese HEI distributor, funky simulated braided hoses etc killed it. Not being an "S" didn't help either.
Although I would still like to have it since it's a 4 speed with 4 bbl engine but not at that trade value.

I've also been trying to assess the value. I was surprised to see from a few sources that they seem to be in the low/mid $20K range if pretty nice. I have no idea if they are in much demand.
I'm actually talking to the owner on a trade, mine is probably worth a little more but the Barracuda looks like a fun car with the 4 speed. I don't think I would be interested if it were auto.
He's been out of town and I'm going by pictures right now.

It would have to be better than "real nice" to fetch that. More like concours restoration, or low mileage excellent original. They can bring good money, but not "that good". That's more like unrealistic Barrett Jackson prices that are all probably a setup anyway.

Almost forgot, is there a VIN or other engine stamping easy to see to verify if original engine?

No. As was said, there is no way to verify it has the original drive train other than documentation. The early cars had date codes, but not much else.

I wanted to thank every one that replied. You guys have been friendly and helpful, some websites you find a bunch of dicks.
I'm not new to classic cars but have little experience with Mopars, I usually can't afford them! I wished this Barracuda would have been nicer, was looking forward to driving it.

Yup, this is a fantastic bunch of folks. I think you have to be a certain type of person to build Mopars.

Keep your eyes open. There will be another one. It took me 1.5 years to find my silver Barracuda. But the wait was well worth it.

I like all cars so it's a matter of what pops up for me. I tend to stay with 50's and older so Mopars don't normally come up for me. Plus I like deals so many guys with cuda's/challengers/road runners think they're worth their weight in gold. Although I missed a 73 Cuda 4 speed, 340 with added 3x2 for $20K, that one hurt had the money a day late
I did buy a 65 Coronet original 383 4 speed but like most all my cars I keep them for a year or so and look for something else

V/8 car should have 10" brakes. Could have had 13' wheels with non Formula S= Rallye Pack cars- tach optional- would have cut out for resonator on rear valence under bumper

-
Back