maybe dumb??s maybe not!!

-

JoseyWales

Reaction score
Would a manual transmission from a 3.9l work with a 273, I think its a NV3500, but not sure? My brother in law has a wrecked 88 Ram 1500 with a 3.9 and 5spd tranny, I was wondering if the tranny would work in a 66 Valiant, and what mods would have to be done? If not are there any 5 speed manuals that would work in an early A? Sorry if these are dumb ??s but since that truck has just been sitting there it got me to thinking.

I think the trans should work behind the 273 without any problem except those found on installation.

The 273 is about 230-240 hp I had it built close to commando specs. I dont know that much about the later manual transmissions that chrysler used, so I didnt know if it would work or not.

The NV3500 + bellhousing found behind 3.9/5.2 engines in a Dakota or ram will bolt right onto the back of the 273. But, thats where the easy part ends. The shifter will be way up under the dash, and you may have to reshape the tunnel for clearance. Oh, and the Ram probably has a hydraulic clutch...

The 5 speed used with a 3.9L in an 88 Ram is the NPA535, later known as the NV2500. I was the service manager at a Dodge dealer in SoCal when this trans was introduced and remember it well. Unlike The NV3500 it has a separate bell housing. It was also used behind the 2.2L in Dakotas. It is a bulky wide ratio truck style unit and is not near as strong as a 3500. The shifter mounts to a tower atop the trans like most truck trannies. A lot of customers complained that it was noisy, especially in neutral and hard shifting when compared to D50s, Commanches and Jap truck 5 speeds.
For an A body it would be a difficult swap, probably more trouble than it is worth. If I remember correctly this trans was used with a mechanical clutch.

I think your right I dont remember seeing a clutch master cylinder. I really dont want to do that much work. A v-8 swap in a early A is task on its own. I guess I will have to find a different tranny then, I would really like to have 5 gears though. Thanks for all the input.

-
Back