Maybe trans????

-

1974 dart

Reaction score
When I get my car up to about 55-60 the car starts to chug. It's the 3-speed automatic transmission and I think it's already in the third gear so I really don't know what the problem is. Anyone know of what might be problem?? And also when the car I in neutral an I rev it up it revs up perfect.
Thanks!

At what rpm does it "chug"? Almost sounds like it's surging (running too lean). Have you messed with the carburetor or timing lately?

Yes we already did timing and messed with carb... It idles perfect, it only does it when it's like under power

And I do not have a tach, so idk what rpm but they arnt very high just from what I can hear

Sounds like a lack of fuel. Plugged fuel filter or bad fuel pump would be my guess. It takes nearly no gas whatsoever to rev it in neutral. To run 60 down the road is a total different story.

Try richening the carb up a bit. What kind of carb, and what changes did you make? Also, what is the timing set at, stock distributor?

Honestly, i would check the fuel filter first and then the fuel pump before you started adjusting anything else. Then check the spark plugs for fouling. I had exactly the same thing happen with a car of mine and it turned out the spark plugs were bad.

I just changed the spark plugs, fuel pump, and filter, but I guess it could be something in the fuel filter, and timing is at top dead center

with the vacuum advance disconnected...and plugged at the carb....set the timing at 5 degree BTC

you want some initial advance ...

What engine? I would echo that is sounds like fuel issue, float level in carb possibly, Timing should be 8-10 initial on a small block, although I don't think you said what engine...Did you just get the car, was it running fine and someone worked on it and now it is not running so fine?

It's a 225 slant six, and me and my dad just replaced some stuff on the engine to try to make it more reliable, we also rebuilt the carb. And another wierd thing is that when you unplug the vacuum Hose for the advance at the carb it doesn't bog down or die so that's really wierd

It ran fine before we got it, cuz the guy we got it from lived out in the country so we got it up to about 80 and did just fine

try shifting manually-- ie
see if it will chug --say in 2nd gear at a higher than normal rpm-- nothing extreme-- just don't put it in drive, try 1st or 2nd on the selector lever. at lower mph

clogged fuel filter-- even a blocked fuel sock could cause this-- especially if the car ran 80 before. (since you rebuilt the carb-- I would look there)
Do a check an item at a time-- eliminate that item & move to the next. Lawrence

OK--- b4 you guys made it more reliable the car would run down the road at 80mph--- now that you've worked on it it chugs at 55mph!!

"It's a 225 slant six, and me and my dad just replaced some stuff on the engine to try to make it more reliable, we also rebuilt the carb. And another wierd thing is that when you unplug the vacuum Hose for the advance at the carb it doesn't bog down or die so that's really wierd"

you need to not make more problems by diagnosing something else-- something you guys did has caused this problem-- go back & check out your carb work-- did you hook up the kick down rod to the tranny?

Are you running points? Lawrence

double and triple check your carb rebuild
make sure the new gaskets are identical to the original ones
it is easy to miss something when rebuilding a carb
and that can cause all kind's of drive ability issues

-
Back