Mcleods 5 speed at SEMA and info update

-
If what they have said is to be believed, there aren't going to be any modifications required. I'm planning on getting one, so I guess we'll see how it works. I'm not going to spend $4,300 on the Passon box (which, by the way, isn't actually based on the 833, it just looks like the 833) to have a weaker transmission. The cars that are so valuable that you don't want to cut them up, are going to lose value if they don't have the original numbers matching 4-speed in them, so I don't see much point anyway.

If what they have said is to be believed, there aren't going to be any modifications required. I'm planning on getting one, so I guess we'll see how it works. I'm not going to spend $4,300 on the Passon box (which, by the way, isn't actually based on the 833, it just looks like the 833) to have a weaker transmission. The cars that are so valuable that you don't want to cut them up, are going to lose value if they don't have the original numbers matching 4-speed in them, so I don't see much point anyway.

What makes you think the Passon trans is going to be weaker? None are in the hands of anyone that is not a test mule, neither it or the McLeod .

Looking at that trans and the shift rail exposed it looks like it will hit the Torsion bar crossmember , never mind the shifter mount is in the middle of the tunnel. No way that trans is going to be a BOLT IN , you are going to have to cut the floor.

The draw to the Passon trans is the fact that it is a TRUE BOLT IN I'll happily pay to not have to cut up the floor on my original big block Dart, the original trans will be safe and happy in my basement.

John I spoke with Paul he told me that straight cut gear rumor is not true at all. I think the trans has a chance to do well.

That's good to know , what about the proshift ? It's been so long since I read anything on them.

If I were building something I didn't care if I cut it up I would look at it .

I'm waiting for the Passon 5-speed as well, I feel like that's going to be the "be-all-end-all" Mopar 5-speed manual transmission. Will probably cost a good bit more but at least you have the peace of mind of Chrysler engineering since it's based off the A-833.

It's not , as said it just looks similar to the 833 , Jamie did that so it would bolt in where an 833 would, he started with a fresh sheet of paper , this trans will be stronger than an 833.

man that is tiny looking.

january huh. didn't they say this past spring already also? i don't expect to see that thing till atleast 2013. then i am going to need a ton of real world feedback from guys that have installed them before i would even think of buying one.

Someone's got to be first. No real way around it. Hell look at what all the early adopters pay for electronics and computer stuff. Anyone remember the $10K price for a plasma tv back in 1999/2000 ? And how much is a ton? How much was a ton of information before making that sweet AlterK suspension acquisition?

Wylde1.

Hell to expand on what Wylde said, I bought my 32 GB iPod 3G for $300. Someone back in high school bought the 1G with only 8 GB for the same price. I get 4 times as much storage, better software, more stuff for the same price. There are people that just HAVE TO HAVE IT! and are willing to pay big money to have a 1G of it and be the first to own one. I am now incredibly undecided. Passon 5 speed, this or a T56? I will start off with a 4 speed just to get the car set up for a manual, but all these are great looking choices, The Mcleod looks like I can just drop it in and cut a hole in the floor for the shifter. The Passon is based on the 833 and has another gear so you know it'll fit. The T56 has 6 gears. That's really the only reason I'm considering it. :D BUT the Mc is the same as a Richmond T56, and is untested, and the Passon is uber expensive. oh well, let's continue to save until they are all out.

Good feedback and yes we should just all save till we can actually order one of the new 5 speeds from whoever we choose.

Not sure about the proshift option.

How much was a ton of information before making that sweet AlterK suspension acquisition?

3-4 years of talking with people that had them already, reading all the threads i could find about the different front ends out at the time for real world feedback and talking with bill at RMS to understand it a little better. so yes i had a ton of information so i could make an informed decision on a product that was already out being used on the street and track..

like i said. it isn't going to be me that is going to be doing their R&D for them. as much as i want a 5 or 6 speed i will wait wait a few years for real world feedback from actual users before i myself pull the trigger on any of those new ones coming out. good luck to anyone that wants to be their guinea pig by being first in line.

The Passon is based on the 833 and has another gear so you know it'll fit.

its not based on the 833. it will just fit a standard 4 speed car without cutting is all..

BUT the Mc is the same as a Richmond T56, and is untested, and the Passon is uber expensive.

passon is just as untested also. i won't be buying one of those for a few years either. i trust him and all and any feedback i read about him and his service is always good but there is just too many things that need to be worked out in a brand new transmission that i'm sure will come up as they get into real world customers hands..

keep us informed on this tranny, ive been putting off as what to do on my dart, im intersted in it myself.

Crap...where did that post go...

Sorry I had a brain fart and thought this thread was about the Passon transmission...

I guess I'm wrong but I remember reading the Passon box was more like a seriously beefed-up A-833 with a set of overdrive gears designed into the extension housing. I know it's a new design but it's a lot more similar to the A-833 than any other 5-speed out there... I probably shouldn't be talking though it's going to be at least a few years before I can even think of dumping $3-5 grand on just a transmission and by then they'll have gone through some real-world testing...

Sorry I had a brain fart and thought this thread was about the Passon transmission...

I guess I'm wrong but I remember reading the Passon box was more like a seriously beefed-up A-833 with a set of overdrive gears designed into the extension housing. I know it's a new design but it's a lot more similar to the A-833 than any other 5-speed out there... I probably shouldn't be talking though it's going to be at least a few years before I can even think of dumping $3-5 grand on just a transmission and by then they'll have gone through some real-world testing...

yeah, that's what I thought too.

In a few years 5 and six speed transmission will be yesterday's news for the wanna-bee's and also-ran's. By then people will have figured out how to install Mopar's 8 speed automatic using paddle shifters for changing gears. lol http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

I know, I know it's an auto and we're talking manual trannies. Buy what will be next for the car manufacturers? Maybe a 13 speed auto with a 2 speed rear-end. Hmmm....... Where have I heard about stuff like that before???

Wylde1.

Well reading Mopar Muscle and again said Mcleod again had 5 speed at Sema for Mopar that was ready for release. I emailed Mcleod and asked if it had been released. Got normal answer summer 2015 and the ouput shaft would be same as TH400 or T10. Next told me the Mopar transmission mount won't work. They have GM transmission ready to ship. The Mopar and Ford trans will be this summer but will have GM output shaft and mount. :wack: So why not just buy GM model and make it work?:D

Just emailed McLeod on their trans, here is what they said:

"Thank You for your interest in McLeod Racing.

The McLeod Racing Muscle Car 5 Speed is based on the Mopar A833 case design so it will be small and compact for little to no tunnel modification.

The 5 speed comes with 8620 forged gear sets with the following gear ratio. 1st 2.95 2nd 1.99 3rd 1.34 4th 1.00 5th .63 along with a 32 spline output shaft.

The same as a turbo 400 or a super t-10.

The transmission does not fit the factory cross members, so that is one thing you'll need to figure out.

We are currently only offering for GM applications at this time. We will come out with Mopar applications Late 2015 or Early 2016.

The part number for the Mopar is 542957 and preliminary costs are set at $2795.00 plus shipping."

So its still alive so for. Be nice to have close to drop in trans for not so drop in TKO and bell price

-
Back