mechanical advance

-

river rat

Reaction score
How would i figure out how much advance the distibutor is set to? Do i simply remove the cap/rotor and look fir markings?

I have a mopar electronic distributor with the chrome box

I think any of them that were marked are on the bottom of the weight assembly:

http://image.moparmusclemagazine.co..._electronic_ignition_system+advance_plate.jpg

Bear in mind, IE this example of 15, those are DISTRIBUTOR degrees so this is a very lllloooonnnngggg advance, 30* at the crank.

Easiest way is with a light, either degree your balancer, buy correct size timing tape, or borrow a "dial up" timing light.

Thanks, right now my engine seems to like about 22* of initial timing, i'll take a look at the internals of the distributor soon.

22* is not out of bounds especially if you have a high duration cam. at 268 @ .050 my teener likes 20* initial. Best thing to do is hit it with a light and take a solid reading.

Thanks, right now my engine seems to like about 22* of initial timing, i'll take a look at the internals of the distributor soon.

That is a shot in the dark. If you are using vac advance, disconnect and plug it. Get your initial reading with your timing light at idle. Then grab the throttle with your free hand and Revv the motor up in RPM to where you see it stops advancing on the Timing Light. Subtract your initial from that number and that is what your mechanical advance is.

Example: 22* - 34* = 12* mechanical advance

my guess is that he has 20* or more mechanical advance in the dizzy. if that is the case then with 22* of initial he will be way into dangerous detonation territory. there are several threads on limiting mech advance on the dizzy. you have to weld/close the advance slot and then file it to the desired travel limit. that is if you have a mopar dizzy.

That is a shot in the dark. If you are using vac advance, disconnect and plug it. Get your initial reading with your timing light at idle. Then grab the throttle with your free hand and Revv the motor up in RPM to where you see it stops advancing on the Timing Light. Subtract your initial from that number and that is what your mechanical advance is.

Example: 22* - 34* = 12* mechanical advance

Thanks for the feedback, that is how I usually would do it. I was hoping there was a positive way to compare exactly what the distributor is suppose to be at.

-
Back