mechanical fuel pump question

-

one mile

Reaction score
I posted under "General" questions and did not get any response so I hope it is ok to post here also.
What I have is a problem fitting my new 3/8 hard line from tank to stock fuel pump 5/16 nipple on 273 motor. I know I should have looked closer BUT here I am. Do they have a stock pump I can swap out with my old one that has 3/8 lines? I really don't want to "clamp down" on a 3/8 rubber hose to get it to seal on the smaller pump unless I have no other choice. Any help is welcome. :D

Since the stock fuel line is 5/15...any "Stock" pump inlet is going to be 5 /16...

Going to need an aftermarket Carter or Holley pump to get the 3/8 inlet.

Carter M6902 sold by Mancini Racing only....

Since the stock fuel line is 5/15...any "Stock" pump inlet is going to be 5 /16...

Going to need an aftermarket Carter or Holley pump to get the 3/8 inlet.

Carter M6902 sold by Mancini Racing only....
Yep you will have to buy an after market pump I have a holley and you put the fittings into it so you can have a nipple or like I did I used AN fittings..

Is your fuel tank pick up upgraded to 3/8"? Are you running -6 or 3/8" line from pump to carb? If not, then I would just use the stock pump until you upgrade the rest of the fuel system. Use a Union Reducer, 1/4 x 3/8 tube size.

View attachment reducer.jpg

If you have upgraded the system, then the Edelbrock 1720 pump has 3/8" NPT inlet and outlet and maintains 6 PSI. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1720/overview/make/dodge. This is the pump that I used.

Also, just fyi, the Carter 6902 only has 1/4" inlet/outlet (according to Mancini) http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/cam6sumefupu.html

You may have to source some brass fittings to install on your fuel pump so you can up-size to the 3/8" fuel line.

Your car would have originally had a 5/16" line from the factory.

Yep, The factory was 5/16. I did get a new 3/8 sending unit and 3/8 fuel line when I got the new gas tank. Thought it would be easy to get the pump to take the 3/8 with a fitting like suggested and did not know it was a nipple instead of a changable fitting. My mistake, should have looked closer.

my daughter was looking on line and found a Marine fuel pump with female connections for 88 to 91 LA small block (360). Part # M60564. anybody familiar with this pump ? what is up with a marine fuel pump compared to automotive pump? any input is welcome !

Got the info I needed . Will let you know how it works out. Thanks for all the help !

Both in and out are threaded in the body so I will be able to use my choice of fittings. The little nipple shown on top of the diaphragm housing is to help control gas fumes. I have two different good sources of information that agree that they are basically the same as the automotive ones. Got one on order this afternoon.

Just get the Carter HP pump. It has 1/4 NPT inlet and outlet and you can put whatever size fittings on it you need.

-
Back