Mechanical fuel pump

-

340wedge

Reaction score
Time to think about getting a new mechanical fuel pump for standby as mine is at least 12 years old. I know Carter still makes them but are they USA? Basically I am looking for advise from someone who has replaced theirs fairly recently and had good luck with the one they purchased.

What year car? The pumps very, differences are the inlet/outlet.

Clay Smith Cams has some of the best mechanical fuel pumps on the market, if you can hit them when they have made a run of them. They ain't cheap, but they are the best of the best. You WILL need a pressure regulator with them as they run 14-16 PSI.

Time to think about getting a new mechanical fuel pump for standby as mine is at least 12 years old. I know Carter still makes them but are they USA? Basically I am looking for advise from someone who has replaced theirs fairly recently and had good luck with the one they purchased.
Great Idea! I'm all in with Ya! Thanks Man!

Clay Smith Cams has some of the best mechanical fuel pumps on the market, if you can hit them when they have made a run of them. They ain't cheap, but they are the best of the best. You WILL need a pressure regulator with them as they run 14-16 PSI.
Wow! That's the Real Deal Man!

Rockauto has pictures. You can see the difference in their outlet positions. The lines to carb dont interchange easily. I used the 73 up pump and lines to get the filter off the top of my 67 273 cast iron intake. Heat rises so when the engine stops, all the heat from water and oil would head for that filter. Helped to cure my fuel delivery problems back when I didn't know where the buy real gas.

If you ain’t racing or require race spec parts just get one from any auto parts store with their lifetime warranty. They’re all new, made in China now so just throw in the towel :BangHead: trying to find USA made and roll , from what “I’ve” seen they are all the same pump. If it fails, take it in and get another one.

Last edited:
You can't always get the correct pump for older cars at the auto store.

More often than not they are incorrect. Although close enough to "work" and normally work well enough for most cars runnin around on the street, there were MANY different part number pumps for different pressure and flow ratings for different applications even in the same year model. The aftermarket in its infinite wisdom chose their one style fits all mindset and "what you get" is "what you get".

The OP still hasn't given us a year.
Crickets
I was trying to keep you in suspense. 1971 340 stock. I have heard that some of the new ones only last about a year or two and some leaked out of the box so I am trying to get some good experiences people have had. This is for a stock resto car so a regulator won't work for me.

Sooooo what you’re saying is ........:rofl:

Don’t go to a parts store as you might not be able to get the correct pump? Or do we go to a parts store and at least see??

I was trying to keep you in suspense. 1971 340 stock. I have heard that some of the new ones only last about a year or two and some leaked out of the box so I am trying to get some good experiences people have had. This is for a stock resto car so a regulator won't work for me.
If you can FIND the Carter HP mechanical pump, they are really good. They seem to come in stock in waves. Summit usually carries them when available, but I've not looked in a while.

Well yes, if you don't know. If you're going for a stock say '69 type pump, forget the auto store if you want it to hook up with a stock steel fuel line.
Now that the OP has answered, not sure what a stock '71 pump looks like , picture?

If you can FIND the Carter HP mechanical pump, they are really good. They seem to come in stock in waves. Summit usually carries them when available, but I've not looked in a while.
Found it on Summit and placed the order. Thank you

Start looking for a Carter M6902. They've been out of production for awhile. They are the better pump, with a rating of 6 PSI, so no regulator needed. They are clockable, so can be made to fit more easily. They're also rebuildable, so when you find one, it should be your last.
They show up on Ebay occasionally, or consider a "part wanted" ad here.
The down side is they don't look identical. My guess if you were considering buying a modern replacement, it's not that big of a concern.

1972 Duster 340 Fuel Pump

Screenshot_20221018-183526_Firefox.jpg

If you can FIND the Carter HP mechanical pump, they are really good. They seem to come in stock in waves. Summit usually carries them available, but I've not looked in a while.
That is what I have always run. I have a spare in the box. Thett can be clocked for inlet outlet and a lot to Resto one if thet go bad. Sooner or later will.need a kit for gasket

That is what I have always run. I have a spare in the box. Thett can be clocked for inlet outlet and a lot to Resto one if thet go bad. Sooner or later will.need a kit for gasket
Well you better hold onto that beeotch, because they ain't always available by a long shot!

Start looking for a Carter M6902. They've been out of production for awhile. They are the better pump, with a rating of 6 PSI, so no regulator needed. They are clockable, so can be made to fit more easily. They're also rebuildable, so when you find one, it should be your last.
The down side is they don't look identical. My guess if you were considering buying a modern replacement, it's not that big of a concern.
That's the one. Right here. Out of stock.
Carter M6902 Carter Street Super Mechanical Fuel Pumps | Summit Racing

This is the one that's available. I thought there was one.
Carter M6270 Carter Strip Super Mechanical Fuel Pumps | Summit Racing
Of course, as you can see, at 8PSI, it will need a regulator, but if you're much over stock, you should have a regulator and return system anyway.

Last edited:
I Normally use the Carter high flow units. There not over strong in pressure and I have not ever needed a regulator. Holley also has some high flow HP lumps that are a little more pricey and also may - may require a regulator.

These I use on my street cars. There better at keeping the carb filled with fuel under a hood pressure, even when hot. Though if you not lap at the strip, the heat gets to the pump and pressure drops. Just not as horrible as a stock pump will the pressure or volume drop.

-
Back