Mechanical fuel pumps

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone is running for a mechanical fuel pump. The pump I have on my 360 can't keep up in the higher RPM's and I need to replace it. I was thinking the Mopar Performance pump or Holley street pump.
Whay are you running on your motor?

I am running a Carter mechanical fuel pump from Mancini, part number CARM6902 on my 416. I am getting right around 7psi fuel pressure. It has no problems keeping up.

I am running a Carter mechanical fuel pump from Mancini, part number CARM6902 on my 416. I am getting right around 7psi fuel pressure. It has no problems keeping up.
this is imho the best mech pump going been running one for 15 years. no problems with reliabilty and it will have no probs keeping up.

I run the same pump on my Duster and I drag raced for years with one and turned the motor 7500 and never had a problem

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!
I've had mine for ten years now with no problems!

I run a stock replacement fuel pump on my 340, revs 7 k with no problems.
I ran the sane pump on my 410 and it revd to 6600, where the cam ran out of balls for anymore rpms. Same pump for 12 yrs now....food for thought friends...

I use an old direct connection hemi volume pump ( carter ) with 3/8 fuel lines including sender unit, all the way to the carb. these pumps are rebuildable, and I just put a new kit in mine last year. I'v had this same pump sense 1978.

I have a brand new edelbrock high volume fuel pump i could sell you if interested. I decided to swap to an electric pump before i dropped the motor in, edelbrock has never had gas pass through i did bolt it up before i decided to swap so you would need a new gasket. pm if interested.

I run the carter strip pump. No problems for years. I ran a Holley never again. Lasted 1 year.

Fred B

Carter stock replacement has always deon well for me, even running a 340 to 6K plus a 175hp N2O system. Sure you're running out of fuel?

Yes, I was running out of fuel. Upon looking into the issue, the secondary float had dropped down to about to half way down from the sight plug. I set it, and jetted it up 2 sizes on the secondaries. HUGE difference! I'm still getting the car dialed in, with it having on a little over a hunderd miles on it since the rebuild. I thought it was the pump since everything was new and I used a stock pump. Thanks for the replies!

Your post is confusing, I'm reading it as you ran put of fuel because u had the float level too low and jetted lean. I doubt fuel psi is your problem.

Sorry for the confusion. In the upper R's, it would nose over. I thought the pump was not able to keep up. I set the floats and it would run like it was supposed to. I then jetted it up more and ran stronger. I am trying to get the new motor set up and tuned, with it being a new build. Thanks!

I'm running a carter high volume and I have an electric holley on a switch when I fool around also have holley regulator set at 4 psi or end carbs will seep fuel into engine while sitting when hot

-
Back