Mechanical or electrical gauges?

-
No one ever plans on things getting too hot in their engine compartment but if I'd did

Is there a benifit to nylon over braided in your opinion? I know the engine bay should never get too hot but if that hose got melted and started spraying oil then I would be in trouble.

Braided may be better as long as you can get the right length... I didn't see they were available...

But if you route it correctly away from the exhaust manifolds nylon should take most engine compartment heat... I believe it can handle up to 250° F...

I did have a nylon tube fail once and leak in the pass compartment... I would start the engine and get up to speed and then shut it off and coast in neutral to the next red light and repeat again... I made it this way over 6 miles to get home and didn't run out of oil and/or damage the engine... That's why I carry a spare nylon tube in the glove box now JIC....

Braided may be the best option...

Pics from the 67. Autometer. Mechanical temp and oil psi. Plastic tubed oil been in 5 years zero issues. I went with volt gauge instead of amps. No real reason why. Originals are in dash and disconnected.

20170608_204156.jpg

20170608_204205.jpg

Regarding post #25
To which,as a streeter, I reply, build the engine to not have problems, maintain it, and just trust your work.
My 367 has been banging off 7200 since year 2004, and racked up more than 100,000 miles. And I almost never look at the factory rally gauges.
Street engines have a relatively easy life.Automatics even more so.
Maybe I'm just lucky.
lol.
Maybe I should take it apart and see if there is anything good left inside there.

If you cant check your gauges with a quick fraction of a second glance and have your eyes back on the road in less than a second perhaps you should have your eyes checked, or be a passenger.
I'm not that much younger than you and its not an issue.
Sure glad I dont share the road with you.
Thing is that you don't need to read the exact number, but read the position of the needle. A racer's trick is to turn the gauges so that when operating normally the needles point straight up and can be verified with a quick glance. Anything other than that is a deviation that may require you to stop to check it out (especially the oil pressure).

I will glance at my guages just to assess how the vehicle is running. I look at Temp and the volts, oil, like said before will give you a hint as in you will smell it burning off the exhaust, and hear the noises. It all depends on which vehicle Im driving. My daily driver/commuter car, the temp guage quit months ago and I still drive it without a clue if its running hot or not ;) If I was going to install guages, I would run mechanical.

I like the gauges.. nice shiney like toys. and the tack,,,, I have had old slants have the oil idiot light come on in the dusters when I would slow down to make a turn,,,, I can look at th gauge and verify my pressure????,,,,, I know, it is a slant and some people think it just needs to die and go away!? ha

I went with mechanical speedhut gauges in my Duster. I used the copper tubing but I may need to swap that out with braided sometime in the future.

IMG_1918.JPG

I'm 55 and am the first to admit that my eyes aren't what they used to be. I went with the Auto Gage volt/oil/temp mechanical gauges with nice BIG faces so that I can tell at a glance where I'm at. I have a fresh engine so I'm constantly checking temp and oil pressure, and I'm perfectly fine with taking my eyes off of the road for a fraction of a second.
727D6CE5-A9D3-4784-A055-C676F77894F4_zps8qyueywx.jpg

I bought the copper line because I had a nylon line fail me with my last set of cheapo gauges. I was driving down the road and could feel my pant leg getting warm and thought it was the heater kicking in. Luckily I was close to home and limped it about a mile pumping oil all over the place. What a mess to clean up the next day. I'm glad I have black carpet!

-
Back