Mechanical setup

-
I am afraid of flex fans since I had a friend get killed by one when blade came off and went into his chest. I know it was a freek accident but he was trying to locate a noise and was revving engine up on a 396 Chevelle when blade came off.

This is what I've used in 2 different darts now and it works amazing.

Be Cool's Cooling System Upgrade
very similar to mine , two row 1 1/4" tube, 28x19 crossflow. I haven't cut the front opening out, since my car is an orig. 68 form S car, the tanks are behind the original metal. But the orig opening fits the core perfectly. Don`t know how much letting the tanks have air would help. The new 10,000 rpm flex fan moves more air than the factory steel blade and the dual fans I tried. I think its going to be ok, as I wasn't having a big problem w/ it any way. I still have the 15" pusher fan in front of the rad. , mounted about 1" off. I have it set to come on at 200, and so far it hasn`t come on, but haven`t driven it much since switching. I also have the elec pusher wired where I can use it to cool at the dragstrip between runs , " if , I ever make it back out there !"

I am afraid of flex fans since I had a friend get killed by one when blade came off and went into his chest. I know it was a freek accident but he was trying to locate a noise and was revving engine up on a 396 Chevelle when blade came off.
I use the 10,000 rpm job, and have fuel inj system that I can tune frome the drivers seat, no adusting total timeing under the hood anymore. " That influenced my decision to try it. I wouldn`t run a lesser one tho. Also n a shroud.

First off, the 205 degrees is fine if you can sit in traffic for an hour and it stays there. That being said......
The 2 core you purchased from Champion should be their American Eagle line. Just make sure that's what you have coming. If it is the regular Champion line, you are either going to get a small 2 row, 3 row or a 4 row. None of those are really an ideal upgrade for your situation.

If it is the large 2 row, then I think you'll see your temps come down enough to put this issue behind you. I'd certainly wait until then before you switch everything back to mechanical. However, if this whole issue was reversed (you had everything mechanical and running 205-208) I'd tell you to keep everything the way it is and just put a bigger radiator in there to bring those temps down to give you a little better feeling of comfort.
Yes it is the AE 2 row 1" tube setup, I agree, I am going to try the radiator before jumping off the deep end. I am running a flex lite twin fan as well but the shroud doesnt cover the entire radistor, so i may hit the junk yard and try a contour fan as well. I never let it go above 210 sitting, it was ceeeping up with pump ans fans, so step by step, new radiator and go from there, after further inspection it looks as if there is some build up on the tub openings of this old copper/brass setup, not a ton of restriction but who knows what it looks like deep inside. New radiator should be here Fri, ill install and keep you all posted

Just an update for those curious. I completed the install of my Champion 2 row Aluminum Radiator, Meziere Electric water pump, and contour dual fan setup with the Dakota digital controller. At idle in the sun and heat, (75/80 degree weather) she stayed nice and cool. Drove the car for about 30-45 minutes straight, pretty normal and barely crept past 203, mostly stayed under 200 the entire time. I just want to say thank you to all the members on this site who post and take the time to answer questions. You all have been super helpful and valuable with sorting out many things on my build and I respect all you for your time, knowledge and willingness to help out. Special shout out to goldduster318, 72bluNblu and moper for all the time and patience dealing with me, you guys have been great. THANK YOU!!!

I am glad to hear you went the contour with Dakota controller route and may I second the thanks to goldduster 318 for his write up. It sure helped mine after years of fighting over heating problems

-
Back