Mechanical temp gauge question

-

ram250098

69 Barracuda
Reaction score
Hey guy's, I bought a set of temp/volt/oil gauges and started the install. I got the oil done and volt done but ofcourse the last one will not fit LOL.
The bulb will not fit in the hole where the stock temp sender is. The intake is a LD4B. Now is there another spot that can be used? I see on the drivers side rear of the intake just beside the back of the carb is a larger port. What is that? and could that be used for cooling?
Any ideas please?
Thanks
AL

The large port you're talking about is the one for the power brake booster. That will not help you with temperature. It needs to be at the front of the manifold near the thermostat housing. Most aftermarket intakes have a plugged hole in that region that is larger than the one for the stock sensor.

If you had the newer edelbrock performer manifold instead of the LD4B you'd be set, there's only about 4 holes up in the front where they need to be.

Ya I had a hunch that was for the booster just need that extra asurance LOL.
It has been awhile since I had a stock intake on a car. Maybe I will try something in the rad or heater hose.
Thanks

Is you sender too big or too small? If it's too small just use a reducer. If it's too big then you may need the smaller sender. Iknow my eddie performer took the larger size and when I upgraded to the airgap it took the smaller one. I belive they are 1/2" and 1/4" npt.

The sender is to big. I will contact the maker of the gauges and see what they have to say. Knowing them they will tell me to buy a Chebby or Ford LOL
AL

I emailed the EQUUIS tech guy's about the temp gauge sender not fitting, and they got back to me with a detailed account of what I need to do.
Buy an electric gauge???? what I needed a tech to tell me that...what are these guy's based in India as well LOL.
So after buying the 2" trio set they what me to spend another $50 on the electric..hey maybe that one won't fit either.
AL

Some guy over on another forum says he got a fitting from Sears in the compressor section. This allowed him to install the large sending unit into the small hole:

mech water sensor.JPG

There was someone else who had the correct diameter hole available but the sender he had bottomed out in the port before the threads were tight.
He found a fitting to cure it too. Maybe aftermarket temp senders should come with a 20 dollar gift card to Lowes LOL
Good luck

I also had to modify an adapter,sender wouldn,t fit.So I drilled out the center to make it fit.Parts Source has a good selection of adapters.Good Luck!(RPM Air-gap intake)

I have found a bunch of ways to do it. Auto meter's website has a bunch of fittings and some cool stuff to put the sensor in different spots, even into the rad hose itself. My problem is that all the tech support guy's could come up with is to buy another gauge.
There defence is "it say's on the box that it may not fit all applications".
Maybe ask to ship back the one that does not fit and pay the difference on the one that will....or might LOL.
Anyone need a temp gauge *grin*
AL

-
Back