all black one has 15 miles on it.

another one went for 85k
crazy prices.

IMG_20240111_135354.jpg

IMG_20240111_135447.jpg

IMG_20240111_135451.jpg

IMG_20240111_135601.jpg

IMG_20240111_135612.jpg

Those auctions are for the people that have more money than they know what to do with. Bad thing about a auction is that you can't test drive or inspect the vehicle.

Those auctions are for the people that have more money than they know what to do with. Bad thing about a auction is that you can't test drive or inspect the vehicle.

problen is they seem to reset the rust bucket market too. most of them aren't gonna be driven anyway.

280z

black/gold one is serial number 001. 3 miles on it. went for 150k. automatic:(

all black one has 15 miles on it.

another one went for 85k
crazy prices.

View attachment 1716190724

View attachment 1716190725

View attachment 1716190726

View attachment 1716190727

View attachment 1716190728

The hottest cars on the market are almost always the ones that the current middle-aged folks drove in high school. So yeah, makes sense that the late seventies/early eighties cars are hot right now, because people that went to high school in the late eighties/early nineties drove that stuff and that’s who’s middle aged and has some money. The 78/79 bandit cars and the fox body mustangs are sky high still too.

Those auctions are for the people that have more money than they know what to do with. Bad thing about an auction is that you can't test drive or inspect the vehicle.

Uh, you can absolutely inspect the vehicles. They're at the auction days in advance and can be inspected in the lead up to them crossing the blocks. I meant you can’t do compression checks on them or anything but you can definitely inspect them.

Last edited:
The hottest cars on the market are almost always the ones that the current middle-aged folks drove in high school. So yeah, makes sense that the late seventies/early eighties cars are hot right now, because people that went to high school in the late eighties/early nineties drove that stuff and that’s who’s middle aged and has some money. The 78/79 bandit cars and the fox body mustangs are sky high still too.

Uh, you can absolutely inspect the vehicles. There at the auction days in advance and can be inspected in the lead up to them crossing the blocks. I meant you can’t do compression checks on them or anything but you can definitely inspect them

Uh, you can absolutely inspect the vehicles. There at the auction days in advance and can be inspected in the lead up to them crossing the blocks. I meant you can’t do compression checks on them or anything but you can definitely inspect them.
A local classic car dealer went to a auction and he was only allowed to open the hood,trunk, doors, he only physically look at it, was not allowed to touch anything under the hood, couldn't try the radio or nothing

The hottest cars on the market are almost always the ones that the current middle-aged folks drove in high school.

truth. graduated in 87 and i'd love to have a pontiac 2+2 or a more common monte ss... iroc camaros ahve been catching my eye lately.. all going up in price... chrysler had nothing but front drive turbo stuff at that point.

I've been there, you have to ask nice.
Agreed. It's up to the individual Seller or Consignor as to what they will allow, but because they want to sell the car, not take it back home, it's in their best interest to be accommodating to would-be purchasers. I've been to two televised auctions, but I've never run into a "Do Not Touch" issue with a Seller once I've gotten a report going with them.

Agreed. It's up to the individual Seller or Consignor as to what they will allow, but because they want to sell the car, not take it back home, it's in their best interest to be accommodating to would-be purchasers. I've been to two televised auctions, but I've never run into a "Do Not Touch" issue with a Seller once I've gotten a report going with them.
Don't forget that both the seller and buyer have to pay 10% buyer / seller fee, plus you have to pay a set amount to be able to bid, I forgot what that was as it's been about 3 years since I was going to go to the Kansas city auction

3 miles... :lol: imagine paying $150k for a car that's totally undrivable because every piece of rubber is complete **** 40+ years later

Oh I can't wait until the Model A style market correction happens to all these cars. There's gonna be some good deals

I don't remember turbo cars being available until the 300ZX. I had a na '78 or '79 in black/gold with an aftermarket t bar roof which leaked bad. Other than that it was an ok car. I think I sold it for $7k in '82.

Have you priced K cars lately?
Especially the convertibles.

Have you priced K cars lately?
Especially the convertibles.
Get out, really? K cars have value!? I knew a guy who couldn't sell a K car convertible with a brand new top for 2k about 8 years ago. Everyone thought he was an idiot for buying a K car

I don't remember turbo cars being available until the 300ZX. I had a na '78 or '79 in black/gold with an aftermarket t bar roof which leaked bad. Other than that it was an ok car. I think I sold it for $7k in '82.
My buddy had a 81 280zx factory turbo auto. Was gold with the louvres. Pretty neat car handled great wasn’t fast.

Get out, really? K cars have value!? I knew a guy who couldn't sell a K car convertible with a brand new top for 2k about 8 years ago. Everyone thought he was an idiot for buying a K car
My sister had one that she bought new. It was a okay car for what it was, if I remember correctly the engine blew up at around 70,000 miles

I've been there, you have to ask nice.

Exactly!

I went to the Mecum auction in Harrisburg PA last year and people were opening hoods, opening doors, putting grimy hand prints on car, no one was around stopping anyone. Out of the several hundred cars only 5 or so were roped off. A complex of buildings where all the cars sat and some buildings no on was around cars unlocked people doing what ever they wanted to check them out. It was fun to see all the high dollar cars. But driver type cars there too and some people paid like double value for driver type cars that needed a lot of work. If you get a chance to go its fun to see. And no I didn't touch any of the cars myself.

Those Z's are a perfect example of a car that sells for ten times what I would pay, even if I had the mad money.
And you KNOW their not gonna be driven. The ONLY reason they were bid to that money is because of three and fifteen miles. They might as well be a painting on the wall. Exept they are gonna go down in value, and a $150k painting probably wont.

I still can't believe the outrageous prices of some of these older cars. A 1966 mustang a while back sold for 39k and it wasn't a GT, or a convertible, but merely a 4 speed coupe, no ac ps,pb. And it wasn't a k code car and it had a standard interior.

-
Back