Mecum Kessimmee

-
I was there on Tuesday, lots of B & E body Mopars, few A bodies. A couple of private collections on display with many hemi and six pack cars, if they sell should bring lots of $$$$$.

I was there Sunday. The private collection Mopars were sweet and very well displayed. I could only find 2 Dusters. :wack:

Dennis

watched it on TV, and the prices seemed low on the few Mopars I watched. Even on some of the others, they seemed low. Then there are some that the reserve was higher than you think it should be. 1990 454SS Pickup, was an example.

Molars killed them today. Several over a Mil and at least one at 2.5 Million!!!!!!

Mopars ruled the day IMHO:cheers: I really liked the Mr Norms Demon GSS !!! Needed to hit last weeks Powerball drawing to buy some of the Mopars, LOL

Dave,

I was watching and i was like "I can't believe these cars exist!" WOW!!! What was the deal with the Daytona that was all dirty? could not hear TV, was in a restaurant/bar.

I watched for a while, last night. The prices are getting like Barrett Jackson. - That spoils the market, for the general public, because, many guys, with nice cars, expect those prices, when selling.

put a herd of drunk, millionaires together at a classic car auction, get them a little more DRUNK, and see what amount of stupid stuff takes place!

then watch the asking prices on CL go even more stupid!!!????????

put a herd of drunk, millionaires together at a classic car auction, get them a little more DRUNK, and see what amount of stupid stuff takes place!

then watch the asking prices on CL go even more stupid!!!????????

Very true. I see some crazy prices around here too. Call it the Barrett Jackson syndrome.

Just got home from Mecum Kissimmee. Yes there were some big dollar Mopars cars sold and the Mr. Norm Demon was nice driver quality car although smoked a bit when they fired it up. Probably had not been run in quite some time and had some carburation issues.
Not sure about the orange and black interior though.

Saying people where too rich and too drunk that were participating in the auction is painting us with a pretty broad brush sir. I'm not one buying the super high dollar cars but we should not be that hard on someone just because they play in a bigger sand box. If nothing else it elevates the price of our cars. FYI those very same people have given over $2,000,000 over the last several years to the Children's Cancer Research Foundation by paying $15,000 dollars for a $200.00 neon sign as a donation.
Over all for the most part, the Mopars did quite well however others in the $100,000 did not sell as well in years past. Attendance was down and I think the Market has some people probably spooked.[/QUOTE]

Agree fl 71. Auctions get a bad rep due to folks just focusing on the high dollar stuff only. They are invaluable with setting prices and trends for the affordable crowd that is critical for a small buisness owner like myself like it or not. Must admit was nice to see a 2015 hellcat with less than 100 miles go for $62,000 when dealers continue to try and mark em up over 25 percent.

Oldschoolcuda

I happened to be thumbing through the channels and ended up watching that for a couple of hours. It seems like one of the best investments ever would have been to buy a 3rd generation Barracuda with a hemi or 440/6 and put it in a garage for 45 years.

The restoration detail and paint jobs on all the cars were immaculate and very impressive.

If a car is so perfect and so valuable, do you dare drive it and enjoy it? I'm okay with having a less valuable car, tinkering with it, driving it, and having fun with it.

our old car market is like this. we all know t. when there are investment opportunities in it, ultra rich jump as to make a return on their investment, O K. prices of the ultra rare, desirable cars go up, and thus bring up the market price of the lesser cars. all of a sudden the 69 383 roadrunner project price has jump up in this bull market. and the rest of the bottom cars. we have seen this couple of times... all that's great, if you want to sell,.... but if you are a hobbiest all this increase in value, just costs more and keeps many people from being i n the hobby to jUST enjoy it? repop parts, watch their prices rise too, if the market takes a big jump up???

i'm sure these car auctions are a lot like the NCHA cutting horse futurity sales. many 100's of horse sell, some will bring several hundreds thousands of dollars each , some will bring a mere $5-6000. not everyone there is a millionaire. plenty of " little people". the wealthy there are in it for profits or tax write offs. always have been. they fuel the industry that pays for training, breeding, showing, millions of $$$ fuel the general economy. if not for them,, this industry would not exist. the little guy is there for the love of that lifestyle. no profit. if he sells one of those $5000 2 yr olds for a profit, it is because HE did the work to train it.

I have to wonder how much " work" or "love" the rich mopar investors puts in!?

I personally have no rub with anyone that looks to buy or sell at a collector car auction, be they rich or not. $$$ to be made maybe selling, i'm sure some good buys go thru there too.

if someone has a bigger "sandbox" to play in, fine with me. and if they can afford to give big $$$ to chairity ( tax write off?), that's great too. IMHO

Correct! When there is no money for your investment you do not invest. You can call it a "hobby" to try to keep prices low all you want. Markets follow money makes no difference bond market or aftermarket. Want to know why the aftermarket builds gm and ford first? They don't sit on the shelf waiting for the clearance sale.

Have many friends that have exceptional car collections.

They like having the best example of a car many low mile unrestored cars are the ones they like, but also original restored cars. Then the cars bought new and have less than 500 miles on them.

The auctions do bring many high rollers in that buy sell some of the finest cars out there.

Go for the entertainment and see some of the best car shows anywhere.

If you don't have deep pockets, it is still nice to see these cars

Working the auctions I have met many extremely nice people, they are some real car guys and there are some investors, sometimes the investor makes a boatload of money, sometimes he looses it, but in the end we are all entertained.

Correct! When there is no money for your investment you do not invest. You can call it a "hobby" to try to keep prices low all you want. Markets follow money makes no difference bond market or aftermarket. Want to know why the aftermarket builds gm and ford first? They don't sit on the shelf waiting for the clearance sale.

ALL true, and also the G M guys love that their repop parts are SO much cheaper and available than our mopar stuff> fact. mopar guys have always had it tougher, anyway you look at it, EXCEPT when our market value exceeds brand x and y, then it is a mute point unless you are the guy selling and unloading????

I admire the guys that invest many $$ in their collections, that have the cars because they love them, don't consider them part of their impressive financial portfolio, and just want bragging rights and one up their wealthy buds?????

yes agree, auctions are entertainment, car, horse, farm equipment, ..... a real circus... you name it!

ALL true, and also the G M guys love that their repop parts are SO much cheaper and available than our mopar stuff> fact. mopar guys have always had it tougher, anyway you look at it!

Found this out a few years back

One reason that our repop parts cost more is the way chrysler makes the manufacturer jump thru hoops to get approved.

GM has always been big in the aftermarket parts, chrysler will not release the rights to some parts making it impossible for anyone to manufacture them.

So it isn't the person wanting to make them just wanting to rape us for their parts. It cost them more to make.

A buddy was making Prowler custom parts and he was told he couldn't use his own car to display custom parts for the car without paying them for the image

Thank the corparate lawyers for some of the issues.

It was interesting that most GM cars had chrome brake boosters on so called "restored" cars. Mopar Joe and I watched through-out the afternoon on Friday. He pointed it out and the more you look the more obvious it was. Damn showboaters! lol

Saw that kind of thing as well. Unfortunately the term "Restored" is rather loosely used.

Found this out a few years back

One reason that our repop parts cost more is the way chrysler makes the manufacturer jump thru hoops to get approved.

GM has always been big in the aftermarket parts, chrysler will not release the rights to some parts making it impossible for anyone to manufacture them.

So it isn't the person wanting to make them just wanting to rape us for their parts. It cost them more to make.

A buddy was making Prowler custom parts and he was told he couldn't use his own car to display custom parts for the car without paying them for the image

Thank the corparate lawyers for some of the issues.

I bet you are entirely correct about this. lets face it, Ma Mopar swore for decades that the dies to stamp out quarter panels, fenders, etc was crushed with the govn't bankrupt bailout wayyyyyyy back with their first belly up!!????? and so they could not furnish this sheetmetal for us, NO way could they... and NOW we are told AMD uses the original dyes and had to pay plenty for them!???? ha ... and how much howling did they do about their frigging "MOPAR" name!????? back in the early 90's!?????? some darn dock worker coined the phrase!!!!! so I have always heard.

i'm working on patch panels for the 67 belvedere> I did buy patch panels for the rear qtrs. will not embarrish thermaker, but really, can't even use correct ga metal, hand bend by a drunk????? all the other patches I am fabbing, no doubt , with $10 worth 18 ga. better metal....

yesterday I got Summits latest "on sale" catalogue, 99 % G M stuff. O K ?????
and I buy from them all I can, decent prices and free shipping on $99 orders.

Good points. As far as I know you can legally copy a part overseas as long as it doesn't include Mopar's part number or penta star logo. Laysons got in trouble years back for that but they were making exact copies overseas with the part# and Pentastars.

-
Back