Mecum- Quick Rant

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Every Mopar that goes across and has a shaker hood, the camera person has to go up to the shaker sticker and "shake" the camera!! STOP IT!!!!!
:thankyou:I feel better now.

Hello All,
Amazing quality / rarity of some of the MOPAR family of cars that are at that auction.
Who would believe that the Bullitt mustang would hammer for 3.4 million and was used as a daily driver to and from work for years by the family that owned it.
And yes would love to see the "Shaker" really shake
Happy Mopar :)
Arron

The cameraman thinks it's cute and so does the producer.
Well, do I go exercise for an hour or start some laundry and watch the auction? :lol:

For several years I went to Barrett-Jackson,then Russo-Steel.Haven't done a Mecum yet,not really into it much anymore.Got tired of the "More money than God" crowd.
Mecum is taking more buyers & sellers from the other auction houses. They seem to be a "No Nonsense" auction house. Allot of the Mopar dealers say Mecum is the place to be.

I would think there would be a cap limit on their commissions. I mean skimming 10% from a million dollar sale seems a little extreme to me.

I would think there would be a cap limit on their commissions. I mean skimming 10% from a million dollar sale seems a little extreme to me.

totally disagree

it is their venue, their name, their advertisement and their legwork that allows a $40.000,00 car to sell for $1.000.000,00

if they had taken that same car and put it up for auction at Cletus' auction house and discount liquor store, it might have sold for $1200,00

seems to me, if they can make the owner that kind of money, they are entitled to it

(now, that is not saying i agree with a 40K car selling for that much, but you got to give credit where credit is due)

If you don't like it, you can sell it yourself and save the commission. There is a reason that people put their cars in these auctions, get the right two people together and you can have a bidding war. I feel bad for all the lower tier cars that go for under market value. There are a lot of nice resto-mods and drivers that gavel for a lot less than you could sell them off the forums or Bring a Trailer. They really push the no-reserve auctions and I don't think I could ever list my car that way. I'm always going to have a reserve and it ain't coming off. Every time the announcer says that they are going to remove the reserve and the bidding should take off, the gavel falls within twenty seconds. Bunch of BS. They just want the sale so they can get a commission.

If you don't like it, you can sell it yourself and save the commission. There is a reason that people put their cars in these auctions, get the right two people together and you can have a bidding war. I feel bad for all the lower tier cars that go for under market value. There are a lot of nice resto-mods and drivers that gavel for a lot less than you could sell them off the forums or Bring a Trailer. They really push the no-reserve auctions and I don't think I could ever list my car that way. I'm always going to have a reserve and it ain't coming off. Every time the announcer says that they are going to remove the reserve and the bidding should take off, the gavel falls within twenty seconds. Bunch of BS. They just want the sale so they can get a commission.
They are all used car salesmen. They have a big bag of tricks to get the sale. LOL

Not sure If they still do it but at B-J sales over $250,000 no commissions buyer/seller were charged. Also A friend sold a car at B-J and it went for $168,000. He negotiated the commissions. Now that might be that he was a frequent client.
Still no matter what they do it's still way out of my ballpark.

7 auctions here in phoenix this month, between now 1-11 and 1-19.
Been to a few of them, interesting to do once in a while but its a lot of smoke and mirrors.
And alcohol.

Mecum will be here in march. I'll go to that one, I like their style.

From what ive gathered its 10% buyers fee and either a 10% for reserve or 5% for non-reserve to the seller.
I'd bet they all will negociate the fees but Mecum is the only one ive seen do it regularly.
Half of something is better than all of nothing.

The thing about a large collector car auction is it puts a large selection of cars to be considered by the buyer at one place, and likewise a lot of buyers at one place for the seller!! BOOM! These big car auctions are like the big time horse sales, very similar. The buyer better know what he is looking at and doing. Alcohol at these sales is for idiots and rich fools maybe!? ha

I love going to Mecum auctions. A lot of entertainment for $20. I haven’t ever had a bidder pass, maybe someday when wife owes me big for something (unlikely). I record them regularly and watch at 2x fast forward so I can skip all the stuff I don’t care about.

I don't see the point in putting a car in B. J.'s or Mecum unless it is something special. If it is special, I'd rather pay 10%, and sell it for $50,000 than 5%, and sell it for $40,000. As said earlier, you get what you pay for.

If you don't like it, you can sell it yourself and save the commission. There is a reason that people put their cars in these auctions, get the right two people together and you can have a bidding war

If only Ebay (barf) would have an auction like that. There was a short lived site that did just that: There was a scheduled close time for an item and if the final bid was still standing at gavel time it sold, but if a bid slid in in the last seconds (sniping) , it would reset the clock 5 minutes I believe at new price. Golden! sounds like a better biz model than getting sniped at the last minute for a .50 when you were positioned to go much higher.

As for the commission, I agree that the venue and presentation gets larger buyers. Look at (cough) Ebay again. Sell it on craigslist locally for $50 or have some dude in Montana who is Jonesing for a T/A hood scoop pay $300? People make extra cash all the time buying cheap locally and selling nationally, plus the shipping spiking. It would almost be a fun charity fund raiser on FABO to have a live auction: people would post stuff up from all over the place, and Joey or the jaded one (you know who you are! ) could run the thread, jump in with a bid any time with a post. Do it on a friday night when were all drunk! Shipping is on the buyer.

I don't see the point in putting a car in B. J.'s or Mecum unless it is something special. If it is special, I'd rather pay 10%, and sell it for $50,000 than 5%, and sell it for $40,000. As said earlier, you get what you pay for.

special is in the eye of the buyer:thumbsup:

-
Back