Merc Nazi says: "No Merc for You"

-

Avispa

Reaction score
A few weeks back i posted that i had a new ride, had made the deal and it was real close by, 63 Mercury vert. After receiving a photo of the title and his drivers license that matched and had his address on it, and his bank info i went to the bank to wire the money. The manager at my bank refused to wire the funds, says she didn't like the deal and thought it was a scam. I gave up on that and called him later that day and told him what happened, we agreed to do a certified check from the same bank, i called and told him i would mail it in the morning, a friend of mine offered to drive with me to bring the car back, so i tried calling him and got no answer, tried all evening, i finally went back to the ad and told him we would be there in the morning, he replied that he had someone coming to look at the car in the morning and not to come until i heard from him, next morning at about 11, i went to the add and it was marked sold. dammit.

Sorry about losing the car, but one thing I'd be doing is changing banks, it's your money how the hell can they tell you what to do with it?

Sorry about losing the car, but one thing I'd be doing is changing banks, it's your money how the hell can they tell you what to do with it?
no kidding
thats why i only use credit unions...much more user friendly

I think they can advise about using their services with your money....wire 10k to a stranger? As a bank manager I would sit you down too and ask very carefully if you knew the ramifications of doing this and how this could lead to a complete loss of your money with no recourse, including loss of all protections that 'my' bank can offer and what you pay for in your fees...You'll find another, and if it's that close to come and get it, I'd try and show up with the money next time (actually id have the money in the car with the friend offsite, ready for the AOK to come with it. Dont get suckered into a jacking!) onsite to at least check out the condition of car. Heard too many stories of all the pics were the right side of the car and the left side rode a pole or the transmission is held in by baling wire.

Funds are wired everyday all across the country. The bank manager had to have suspicions as to why he warned the customer about a possible scam

Funds are wired everyday all across the country. The bank manager had to have suspicions as to why he warned the customer about a possible scam
Right.......AND I know all of my bank tellers and the branch President personally so I would have been asking why they thought that. I agree they may have been looking out for their customer. My bank does the same thing.

Can you post date a wire transfer? "The money is wired, ask your bank if they received It. I'll come and meet you and the car at your bank and I'll sign the transfer" that sounds pretty fair. Not sure if that's even possible.

If you think you want a car, go look at it, and bring money. (And nowadays, maybe a firearm).
Thats the ONLY way I would buy a car.....

Oh, and if the seller for some reason says you can't see the car..... RUN!

Last edited:
on the bright side, this frees up more funds for the next mopar, no?

Can you post date a wire transfer? "The money is wired, ask your bank if they received It. I'll come and meet you and the car at your bank and I'll sign the transfer" that sounds pretty fair. Not sure if that's even possible.

Nope. Banks are careful with transfers because once someone hits 'send', it's gone. No guarantee it even shows up on the other side. If someone transposes a number, or the info provided by the seller had a typo - doesn't matter. It's goneski.

Screwups make the banks look bad even when it's not their fault. It can even affect the career of the branch managers, so they take it super seriously. None of them want to be on CNN explaining why Grandpa's pension being gone isn't their fault or problem.

Checks are typically less risky and don't reflect as directly on the bank as a wire does - they can always blame the customer for losing a check or sending it someplace irresponsibly.

I have a family member who is very well off financially. 5 years ago he suffered a serious brain injury and has been the victim of financial scams and fraud to the tune of over 300k. His bank calls his family members now when he makes these massive transactions to assist in keeping his cash secure. End of the day it's not their problem but it's nice they look out for him because he really doesn't understand what is happening.

I have a family member who is very well off financially. 5 years ago he suffered a serious brain injury and has been the victim of financial scams and fraud to the tune of over 300k. His bank calls his family members now when he makes these massive transactions to assist in keeping his cash secure. End of the day it's not their problem but it's nice they look out for him because he really doesn't understand what is happening.
Ah man, that really sucks that he has been taken advantage of. But it’s great the family is looking out for him. Kim

-
Back