Merry Christmas to me!! Just ordered likely my last camera, Canon 5D MK IV

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Every once in awhile I browse C/L and phakebook Marketpharce for Canon gear. I own a 5D original model and a really nice MK II, and Canon is intent on sooner or later, dumping the DSLR stuff for mirrorless. I have some nice lenses, and on top of the 5D's about 3 7D bodies.
Anyhow I got frustrated with the prices I was seeing, as usual, and went over and looked at price on the latest--and last of the line 5D, which is MK IV which is a full frame body.
With tax, 2400 bux including a "free" sling bag

Canon5Dordercs.jpg

My cameras:

First DSLR, Canon XT/ 350D still have it, still works, had a tremendous amount of fun

Next was 1 and then another 40D. Sold 1 of them still have 1

Next was 7D and I've owned and sold several, ended up with 1 of my original, bought refurbished, and then ran into a "deal" a guy and two used ones cheap and bought both so I still have 3

SL-1. This at the time was Canon's smallest and lightest DSLR. Bought it refurb. Worth as much now as when I bought it.

I never thought I would "go" full frame, but a guy, locally, on CL had a nice old 5D (compact full frame, same size as 7D body) and I liked it so much I bought what turned out to be a beautiful and low count 5d mk II

Tonight I pulled the trigger on the last of the line, Canon will likely not make any more, 5D mk IV

Mirrorless: A Canon M50, very small and light and I've grown to like it. An adapter takes my EF / EFS lenses, and I also have adaptors for such as the old manual Canon stuff, FL/FD

I bought the M50 from Canon, refurb and it is selling now for more than when I bought it

WTH??? I thought you were buying a truck?
LOL no, I just spent the last 3 months converting my old 01 from TWO WD to FOUR WD. "What I bought" was a 1500.00 V10 donor truck and a 300.00 rolling frame for parts

It's all done and running, except I've "run out of weather" and still haven't got the toe properly set. "It wanders." I'm hoping the toe will fix that as I've looked for front end play, and most everything that moves under there is new.

The sordid tale:

I always buy things for myself and I started not caring 5 years ago. This year I bought an electronic drum set. The wife said "why you have a 2500 dollar set in the den. I said "yeah but you ***** whenever I play them...this way I can wear headphones" They were $300. I almost bought a single plane intake but the deal didnt work out but Im still looking...:)

About 10 years ago I bought a 5Dmklll as a retirement present for myself. That camera and my Rebel T2i gave me range from hiking in the rain to creating good images for my camera club. A year and a half ago I decided to do the mirrorless thing and bought a used Canon R6 with a 24-105 kit lens. Soon after that an RF 70-200 f4 and then an RF 100-500 f3.1-5.6. About 8 months ago I sold the mklll to a very greatfull young lady who wanted to get a full frame camera.

Mistake 1. Believing the mirrorless marketing hype claiming superior images.
Mistake 2. Investing in RF lenses when my EF glass was giving me great images through an adapter.
Mistake 3. Selling my mklll.
Mistake 4. Selling my mklll.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the hill and IQ of the next system is probably not going to be any better than what you are using.

That mkiv is a great camera and will serve you well for a long time to come. I wish I would have gone in that direction also.
Good luck, Jerry

Thanks. I do have fun with the M50 within it's limitations. One thing I'm not sure of is the potential damage to the sensors on mirrorless. Just seems to me that if you "do it long enough," sooner or later you are gonna end up with the thing pointed at the sun

My wife (maybe girlfriend at the time) bought me a Canon Rebel XS many many many years ago. It was a nice camera for what it was, definitely better than any point and shoot or camera phone. But I'll tell ya, I either got awesome pictures or crappy pictures with it. I'm 100% sure it was the photographer, not the camera. I bought a few lenses for it, and the photo quality improved noticeably, I used to use that camera for everything. Then we had kids, and it was easier to have a pocket sized camera to capture moments, which eventually turned into using my phone camera for most. I'll still use the Canon when we go on back packing trips or on a big vacation, but since I don't use it much anymore, I generally have to stick to the auto setting to get good pics out of it. I don't remember what settings to use for what scenes I am shooting.

I still have my first, an XT/ 350D. It was the second model consumer DSLR, after the so called "Digital Rebel", the 300D. I bought it after the 3rd one came out and it had dropped on clearance.

-
Back