The dummy and the diesel.........The Grey Whale

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
For those "newer guys," Del has had an entire "school" of whales, or do they come in pods? White Whale I, II, III, "Mini Whale" (Dakota) and now the "Grey Whale" is an 01 Dodge 2500 Cummins TWO wheel drive.

LET'S convert it to FOUR wheel drive!!

So today I drug home "the wrong frame." Shorter WB, it seems to maybe be a 98 or 99, 4WD and was a Cummings. So what's next? gluing the two frames together to make the correct WB? I "may" have the correct frame available down in Potlatch at considerably more money.......I only paid THREE HUNDRED BUCKS for this one with a transfer case and both differentials and drive shafts. Not sure which shaft if either might work on a longer WB, and not sure whether the transfer was a 5 speed (like mine) or whether an auto transfer would fit a 5 speed. Yeh, I know, girls, the 2WD transmission will have to get replaced or converted

AND NO I DO NOT WANT to give up my 8' box!!!!

IMG_1657cs.JPG

IMG_1658cs.JPG

IMG_1659cs.JPG

Last edited:
So....what does your place look like NOW? LOL

Oh pretty much the same LOL I'm "all the way down" to two boats!!! The 12' Crestliner and the 15' Crestliner. The leaky 74 Scamp and the 67 Dart are both hiding in the carport.................

I started to herd the 01 Dodge onto the 2 post to compare the two but there's a BUSY bunch o' yellow jackets so I'll wait til later. Plus it's bangin on the 100F mark this afternoon.....

Oh pretty much the same LOL I'm "all the way down" to two boats!!! The 12' Crestliner and the 15' Crestliner. The leaky 74 Scamp and the 67 Dart are both hiding in the carport.................

I started to herd the 01 Dodge onto the 2 post to compare the two but there's a BUSY bunch o' yellow jackets so I'll wait til later. Plus it's bangin on the 100F mark this afternoon.....
Ouch.

I had an 2001 2500 Cummins 5 speed 2wd for my service truck. I really wish it was 4wd.

I had an 2001 2500 Cummins 5 speed 2wd for my service truck. I really wish it was 4wd.
If this had limited slip it might be manageable. I've thought about having one installed. We get ice and snow up here, and the added fantastic torque of a diesel make a "single leg" rear almost undriveable

I weighed mine at 10,800 lbs with air compressor, fuel tank, and loaded with tools. It has limited slip but still does not go on slick ground as well as I thought with all that weight. It is a strong work truck

Well I think I got figured how to combine the two frames, the "too short" 4x4 frame and the "correct length" 2WD frame, .....but.... I ain't gonna, at least for now

Found a 2nd rolling frame down in Potlatch for 1200, frame + front/ rear axles That all should be a "bolt on" for my body

Just now ordered the mainshaft and rear housing for the NV4500 5 speed to convert it to 4WD

Also took a look at the transfer case, it's a 241 light duty WITH!!! the correct 29 spline input for the 5 speed!!! Hell that was worth the 300 for that whole mess right there!!!

Yeh, and I just found a cab for 100, pretty well stripped. But sounds like it will give me a good heater. My AC works but the heater leaks. Get this I HAVE BEEN DRIVING both the beater Dakota and the 01 Cummins for the last couple of years WITH NO PRESSURE in the cooling system. I ripped the gasket off the caps!!! Because the heater cores "seep!!!" NEITHER overheats!!!

Guys are telling me that the front axle actuator is vacuum operated off the transfer case "switch" but that you can get a PTO style cable to replace that if you want.

"I think" I have a floor shifter for the transfer case located, maybe in the 100 buck cab

First step is to get "that kid" jacked up and get that frame stripped down so I can go get it I'm guessing at least 2 weeks.

Work stoppage and the world's oldest and ugliest working IR 3/4 air impact....

So today I decided to tear down the too-short frame. I got 3 of the bolts for the rear spring mounts knocked loose, but the 4th, I was standing on the frame trying to hit it "railroad spike driver" style with an old splittin' maul WHICH I RECENTLY BOUGHT for 11 bucks

It's too warm out there now, I'm "recovering" for awhile. I think we are headed for "the torch" but that might wail until cooler times like, tomorrow morning
About broke my *** with the fuel tank, I thought it was fairly empty until I unbolted the straps. So I wrestled it up onto the frame, and will attempt to siphon and filter it later. The filler has been open for I don't know how long. It likely has some water (and other things) in there
IMG_1671cs.JPG

The 11 dollar splittin maul. Did not budge the 4th spring perch bolt
IMG_1672cs.JPG

I've had this since the late 70's/ early 80's, and it was old THEN. Guy brought it in to the parts store for a repair/ rebuild estimate and did not like the price. I offered to buy it and don't remember, but wasn't much. I don't remember what I did to it, but it also wasn't much. Likely took it apart and cleaned the sludge out of the motor, and sanded the vanes on some glass. with sandpaper. It STILL IS the "thump thumper" go to on big, tight bolts That is 1/2 ID hose for size. The bushing into the quick coupler is 1/2" pipe
IMG_1674cs.JPG

Got the frame pretty much junked out today. REAL PITA. I had a HELL of a time with the last stubborn spring perch bolt. They are torx on the bolt head, so you can't wrestle them around with an impact. I finally got the torx bit and my big long breaker (I think it's 2') and twisted it until I felt it was broken loose from the bushing sleeve. Then I dooshed it down with PB and hammered it back and forth in the sleeve a few times until it finally loosened up, and used a punch to drive it out.

The front was nearly as bad, the bolt for the panhard rod is right behind the tie rod, so you cannot get an impact on it. I finally put a pipe on an 18mm combo wrench and laborously wrenched it out.

Someone over-tightend all the tapered studs in the front end, tie rod, drag link, etc, and I only got the one loose so far, on the front axle end. So the steering box still has the drag link "dragging" and the panhard is still dangling from the frame.

Other than the crossmembers and a few brackets, I'm pretty much done with the frame. I'm not selling any of this until I "know" that I won't need it

If the "kid in Potlatch" doesn't get is a$$ in gear, I may be modifying this and my original frames to make one, yet

This thing is a Dana 60 front, 80 rear !!!

IMG_1678cs.JPG

Tonight I got the frame stripped, and will either A weld it into the 2WD frame to make one good one, B sell it, C...scrap it

BONUS ROUND About 15 gal of diesel in the tank at what? 5 bucks per?

WHAT IS THIS??? This is the GMC Sierra on the hoist which has always had barely adequate brakes, CERTAINLY not good enough for "fully loaded." I am going to try an experiment--I'm going to bypass the ABS module. Found an article on this my fittings are slightly different, but a T with 2x 90 inverted flare and one "straight" inverted flare to form a 3 port block, this for the front lines, and a second one, two inverted flare 90's with a pipe coupling to form a 2 port block for the rear line

IMG_1682cs.JPG

IMG_1683cs.JPG

IMG_1684cs.JPG

And the latest.............The "kid with the rolling frame fer 1200" did not sound very motivated. I located a complete--poorly running V10 auto truck for 1500 a few miles away. He is supposed to set it up with his folks (it's at his parents house) and this might be the one. Frankly I don't have the room to junk or swap a complete truck, but for the difference in price, "why not."

This is same frame, AKA extended cab/ 8ft box, V10 (with problems) and automatic. I may keep his cab or mine, "we'll see" and of course this is "before the chick is hatched!!"

285441447_1024588694855163_1483035557182704959_n.jpg

285636495_1024588608188505_4972862525094547377_n.jpg

285997513_1024588924855140_6738398895026020655_n.jpg

285482294_1024588591521840_4606301281306958483_n.jpg

4wd work?
"Which part" LOL? If this gets put together, I'll not be using either the transfer case or automatic OR the engine

My cummins, convert my 5 speed to 4WD shaft, and I already have a "stick" transfer case (which seems to work) that came with the 300 dollar rolling frame. I'll have 2x front axles and 3X rear axles so SOMETHING out of that hast to work LOLOL

And the latest.............The "kid with the rolling frame fer 1200" did not sound very motivated. I located a complete--poorly running V10 auto truck for 1500 a few miles away. He is supposed to set it up with his folks (it's at his parents house) and this might be the one. Frankly I don't have the room to junk or swap a complete truck, but for the difference in price, "why not."

This is same frame, AKA extended cab/ 8ft box, V10 (with problems) and automatic. I may keep his cab or mine, "we'll see" and of course this is "before the chick is hatched!!"

View attachment 1715975455

View attachment 1715975456

View attachment 1715975457

View attachment 1715975458
$1500? is the kid trying to sell the old man's truck without him knowing.
It looks too good to be true.

Just curious if you got all that for the money. You did good, I have had a 94 V10 dually that tornado totaled and then a 98 V10 dually. I really liked them

LOL. Only thing I'm cryin about is the lack of room (me) and all that work (me)

Going up to "Elk" WA Tues to look at and likely buy this thing. Just diddling with an "action plan." Bear in mind this all revolves around the crowded backyard 2 post hoist

Remove camper from Cummins, set on tent trailer. Set aside

Check and evaluate all differential ratios. Decide which axles to use

Remove V10 cab, set onto timbers on trailer.

Skid cab to front of trailer Remove V10 trans and transfer case and set onto trailer Pull V10 with hoist arms closest to alley

Remove Cummins cab, set on trailer set aside.

Pull Cummins engine, leave hang on rack

Put V10 frame into position in 2 post rack, drop Cummins in

Convert 5 speed, check and install transfer case

Connect as much as possible, reinstall Cummins cab on new frame. Make connections,adapt etc transfer shifter, etc

Get truck running and moving if possible

Swap differentials if needed

Evaluate and swap beds.

Try to sell left over, or re-assemble V10 into old truck. Evaluate heater core swap. Evaluate other dash components. Evaluate rest of interior, seats, etc

Last edited:
Well I got the V-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 "don't call it a V-10" home. Not sure how many it's running on, it sure ain't 10. Needs brake work, likely front end work, and interior is quite worn/ threadbare and dirty. Paint REALLY sucks. However body is pretty straight and rust free just like my 2WD. Needs ?? to the driver's door possibly hinges.

I AM STILL rasslin with the idea of cutting up my 2WD frame and "melding" it to that too-short 4x4 frame for the conversion. If I did that WTF am I gonna do with THIS thing? LOLOL

IMG_1697cs.JPG

THE 2 WD CUMMINS dragged that thing home like there was NOTHIN back there!!

"Progress however slight. Got the cab well down the road to ready to pull. Still some wiring, etc between cab and chassis. Got the exhaust system out, the driveshafts, and major cab fasteners to frame, and pulled fenders Still need to drain coolant

I "suspected" and the V10 differentials are 4.10, so they won't go into the swap. "Good thing" I bought that other frame. That'll provide the front axle, same as either it's rear axle, or my original 2WD--3.54 That seems like a good gear and I don't fancy going to taller tires.

With any luck I'll have the cab off tomorrow

IMG_1704cs.JPG

AT cooler hoses at the radiator..........

Bet I wasted nearly 2 hours this morning, going to parts stores looking for a short line tool for those "garter spring" fittings. I have a set of Lisle, they are too long, I bought a "no name" set and they are not only short enough, they are so short---they won't release the fitting!!! Finally found an old tent pole, cut a little sleeve and slotted it and..............

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

So is this Del's demolition service now? lol

-
Back