The dummy and the diesel.........The Grey Whale

-
Geez Chrysler/ Dodge/ Fiat/ Peougot/ FCA/ Stellantis can't you spend a BIT more time at the frickin design computer? Went to swap my decent 2WD wheels and tires off the front to the "new" axle under the "new" frame and they HIT THE STEERING ARMS on the axle!!! Everything is 16" tires so I don't know WTF "Ma" couldn't have checked with the 2WD dept. and the 4WD dept. to make sure they were using the same "numbers!!!"

7PM Sept 17 just got in the house and it's gettin dark. Days are getting SHORTER up here in the N end!!

Got a fair amount done today. Got the engine set into the "new" frame and pretty much all the hardware off the old frame, rear sway bar rod anchors, fuel and brake tubing, complete exhaust system, crossmember, etc. Tonight I had "just enough light" retrieved the bed off the back of the car trailer and hung it in the hoist and rassled the 2WD frame towards it. Tomorrow I hope to get both the donor bed and cab set down and "somewhat bolted" to the 2WD frame. I'm going to take one hell of a good close look at all that and see if there's anything I want and then haul it off to pick and pull in Spokane. At least the pieces won't be scattered all over the "back 40" (my Dad used to say)

IMG_3616cs.JPG

IMG_3614cs.JPG

IMG_3613cs.JPG

Thanks Rob I worked my A$$ off today. Nice sunny day in the low-mid 70's

Thanks Rob I worked my A$$ off today. Nice sunny day in the low-mid 70's
It's been like that here, although the last few days the temps are creepin back up but the humidity is way low so it feels good.

It's 10AM, Sun, Sep 18 and I've been at it since 8AM, not a good outcome "so far." I've been wantng to swap the hitch receivers between the two, as the one on the donor shows a little rust and the ends of the cross tube look like THEY WERE TORCHED OFF BY A 3RD GRADER

The mounting bolts have tabs but they are rusty and a rattle gun just "rattles them," plus you cannot get a socket on them because of the tab. So I made this "Special Stellantis Jack Tool" which puts pressure on the bolt so the rattle gun can "do something." THAT so far was a roaring success. BUT THE MIDDLE MOUNTING HOLE on each side IS DIFFERENT between the 97 4WD and my 01 2WD BY A QUARTER OF AN INCH. (What you see is the two hitches layed on top of each other, the front and rear holes line up)

I persist!!!! I am gonna plasma that ***** and swap them anyway!!!

IMG_3623cs.JPG

IMG_3622cs.JPG

IMG_3620cs.JPG

IMG_3618cs.JPG

IMG_3621cs.JPG

5PM Sun Sept 18 not quite a "milestone." That would be the donor cab sitting on my old frame. But the V10 is dumped in, the bed is on, and the cab is above it on the hoist, and tomorrow (if not raining) I'm gonna take a really good look at the frame, cab underside, and V10 and make sure there are no "doo dads" I want off that and then set it down. Load it onto the trailer until I'm ready to haul it off

IMG_3625cs.JPG

Came in about 11:30, I did not get "out" until 9AM. Got the donor pretty much ready to load onto the trailer except need to trade the front tires for "skinnies" to fit between the trailer fenders. Getting the cab back on went unbelievably well. Rolled the frame a few inches, used come-a-long to suck the frame sideways a few inches and got the first bolt. Lowered 'er more an got the second one. Went the the rear, pried about 1/2" to move the cab vs the frame and got the third bolt. I only hooked up 4 cab mounts

IMG_3629cs.JPG

This is a great thread Del!

Did you have time to drop it off at the pick & pull in Spokane?

I’m very much enjoying this build. Man if I was closer I’d come help!!

I just barely got in 4:30 and it's loaded onto the trailer. It won't go to the scrap yard for ?? few days or more than a week. I want to make sure there aren't some other parts to "fall off" EG I'm arguing whether to save the front fenders. Nice, straight, clean, rust free. But it takes ROOM!!!

I had the neighbor "walk" me around the corner and park it. Kinda hard to see with that tractor "rig" LOLOL

IMG_3630cs.JPG

I am thinking THIS is the "halfway point"

Clean up the engine/ transmission/ transfer case
Pull the 5 speed install the new shaft and tail housing
Reinstall the 5 speed, add transfer case, investigate rear drive shaft
Install fuel tank
Ignore problems with front axle (needs brake work, may need tie rod/ other parts)
Get other hardware, brake tubes etc connected, re-string frame wiring harness
Consider fixing the alleged "deadly camshaft dowel pin" (I'm not sure that's a concern, really)
Consider installing the new lift pump I bought some time back
Reinstall cab, get it runnable and moveable regardless of front brakes, so I can move it on/ off the hoist
Reinstall bed and install front/ rear bumpers
Get 'er on the hoist and attack the needed front axle work (brakes wheel bearings seals, knuckle U joints, whatever) and complete brakes, bleed, etc.
Assuming I have come up with a rear driveshaft, inspect and replace needed U joints and center carrier bearing.
Deal with tires/ wheels, consider remounting old front tires on other wheels or buy ?? wheels and other tires??

Make sure fuel pump and sender are good while bed is off

Make sure fuel pump and sender are good while bed is off
That is the reason for considering the new lift pump. It's aftermarket external. But it is not just a "bolt on." The bed will go on likely after I get it running/ moving and partly for that reason--access to the tank.

Things were so simple then, the White Whale "I"

View attachment 1715988169
By the way, Rob, that short camper might look a "bit silly" in that big 8' bed but I've hauled a LOT of stuff back there, including a magnum V8!!! Just put the gate down, put some plywood up against the camper, and strap 'er in!! Once I hauled 4 tires and wheels, lashed down, back there, and a big-*** V4 Johnny-Rude outboard.

Today I'm taking it "a bit easy." Groceria, errands, maybe lunch at the plumbing warehouse. I want to pressure wash the thing, but it's FORTY TWO DEGREES F here at 8AM. So later on this afternoon. Besides, "I need" a day off................

^^Listen you LOL^^ that "set up" is completely functional!!

Yeah, but AS WHAT??? LMAO!
I AIN'T SAYIN!!! That poor Dakota, is sitting out front right now, the springs pretty much bottomed and the tires bulging. It's not just the cab. The dead tire off the farmall is in the bed, and it's likely another 2-300. It still has "some" brine inside.

Piddled and fiddled . Got the "good" receiver hitch mounted, the middle holes were "off" 1/8--1/4". Got the emergency brake cable anchor swapped which is different between the two frames, and got the fuel tank back in. I have to pull the in tank lift pump and put a non-pump / sender only so I can install the FASS replacement pump which is external. Makeing slow progress. This week will likely tear down the 5 speed.

Edit forgot to mention, pulled the bell and inspected the clutch. It works great and may have been replaced. Looked so good I decided to leave it alone.

Last edited:
Piddled and fiddled . Got the "good" receiver hitch mounted, the middle holes were "off" 1/8--1/4". Got the emergency brake cable anchor swapped which is different between the two frames, and got the fuel tank back in. I have to pull the in tank lift pump and put a non-pump / sender only so I can install the FASS replacement pump which is external. Makeing slow progress. This week will likely tear down the 5 speed.
Progress is progress, however small. Every year and doctor visit that goes by I have to tell myself that. lol

Today started out "great" ended---not so. Got that God Damned huge giant not to mention large NV4500 apart, and the mainshaft out, BUT the 3-4 syncro hub is stuck. "Supposed" to come right off. Found a post where somebody else finally drilled and tapped one "harmonic balancer style." I heated it with an LPG turbo torch, and whanged it GOOD and hard on a piece of wood on the table. NADA Tomorrow I may try a "Real" torch.

IMG_3643cs.JPG

IMG_3641cs.JPG

IMG_3640cs.JPG

-
Back