metal in oil pan

-
Okay, just looking at the pictures my first thought on that large piece that it was a piece of a broken ring. For it to make it into the pan, if it came from a piston currently in use in the engine, it would have damaged the piston and scored the cylinder wall to make its way down into the pan from its position up top. That would be my guess. Long story short I agree with the above. You need to pull the engine down to see what you have. Why go to the work to install it and just have to pull it again as it grenades causing more damage.

If you are thinking of having it overbored (you don't say if you have checked the bore size to see if it has already been overbored etc.) don't just assume a .030 is what you need. Block may have been bored before, have too much damage to bore it or may need to be sleeved to repair the cylinder/s.

The overbore is going to require you or an engine shop remove the pistons from the engine anyway so you may as well do this now.

If you've had chunks floating around in the engine you may have damage to rod big ends, lifters, cam, crank, pushrods etc. Just need to pull it down and see what you have. If you are not up on engines and what it takes then get someone who is to help you. I would not use the previous owner to the engine though. Just a thing with me. Make sure whoever you use that they do have a definite grasp of engines, how they work and what to look for and have built a few themselves. Not a person that tells you that they have totally rebuilt their engine and when you ask them what they did they say "we put a chrome air filter on it, chrome valve covers, chrome timing chain cover........" and mention nothing about actually rebuilding the internals of the engine. Get someone in the know.

This can save you time and money especially if your mate or you have measuring tools to see where the cylinder bore is, where the crank and rods are etc. You may be able to look at the tops of the pistons and potentially see a previous rebuild overbore having been done. If you see a 20 or 30 etc. on the top of the piston buy itself then this is typically an id to the fact that the piston is a 20 or 30 over piston. You still need to measure for wear/damage.

I guess I should note here that if there is a heavy ridge worn into the top of the cylinder bores that you may need a ridge reamer to take that out so you can get the pistons safely out.

If the engine is damaged beyond use then you've saved a bit of money by finding that yourself and I'd start saving for another engine. If you have a pick and pull type salvage yard then that might be a good source for you. The local one here an engine goes for $150 plus a $25 core. Loads of 318's and a few 360's and bigger in the cars. Bring a mate and pull it using the yard's A frame and have them fork lift it to the truck to take it home. Take the time there to have a good looksee what condition it looks like before you buy so you can try and get a good one.

If your engine looks repairable then verify measurements (machine shop and do this for you too if you are unsure) and see where you are for a rebuild. Where it specs is going to determine the size of parts needed etc.

On any engine I get I aways pull them down, check them out.

Blathered on a bit, sorry. Hope that helps.
Cheers

If your going to rebuild it and are just looking to have a nice driver with a little more balls than stock the summit rebuild kit isn't bad. I uesd the one with the speed pro pistons on a 40 over 360 along with a 340 cam and it was a good combo for my daily driver. I think the whole kit set me back about $400 and the cam,lifters,pushrods, double roller chain I got at a local cam shop for about $90.

called a few machine shops. This is what i got

$180 for a .30 bore local shop

or

250 for magna + cleaned
$750 for full machine (bore,honed,decked etc.)

Mopar engines West. I hear their the best but thats alot of money.

The local shop I took my block, heads, rods, pistons to did the 40 over, 10 mains, 10 rods, magged and hot tanked the heads and block and installed the pistons on the rods all for about $530. I always have blocks and heads magged just to be on the safe side.

Looks like a broken piston ring to me too. You'll need to yank the heads to have a look. More than likely just pulling the heads off will reveal if it is in fact a broken ring because there will at least be scratches in the cylinder wall of the broken ring. If it is a broken ring with a piece that large more than likely it did some major damage to the wall and/or piston. But it is impossible to say how much over bore (.020, .030, 040) will be required until an inspection is done. If you haven't seen a piston ring before that means you haven't rebuilt an engine so if you plan on doing it yourself I would suggest getting a good manual. Their worth every penny they cost you. LOL

fishy68 said:
Looks like a broken piston ring to me too. You'll need to yank the heads to have a look. More than likely just pulling the heads off will reveal if it is in fact a broken ring because there will at least be scratches in the cylinder wall of the broken ring. If it is a broken ring with a piece that large more than likely it did some major damage to the wall and/or piston. But it is impossible to say how much over bore (.020, .030, 040) will be required until an inspection is done. If you haven't seen a piston ring before that means you haven't rebuilt an engine so if you plan on doing it yourself I would suggest getting a good manual. Their worth every penny they cost you. LOL

Good advice fishy, and to add to it ,you should befriend someone rebuilding an engine from start to finish and get a crash course. Any way you slice it ,that engine of yours needs to come apart, and if you don`t know what you`re looking at/for then you should leave it to a competent mechanic to pull it apart and put it together. A lack of knowledge at this stage can cost you big time in the future, so get it done right. I don`t want to sound like I`m preaching ,just giving out some sage advice to save you money and heartache in the future. You might even see if there`s someone on the site here that`s close enough to you to come over a lend a hand.

07004.jpg

07108.jpg

07107.jpg

07106.jpg

07105.jpg

07104.jpg

07103.jpg

07102.jpg

07101.jpg

hope this works

07004.jpg

07108.jpg

07107.jpg

07106.jpg

07105.jpg

07104.jpg

07103.jpg

07102.jpg

07101.jpg

Wow, that water pump and timing cover had a meeting that didn`t go so well! Was the car in an accident? Your timing cover is going to need replacing on account of corrosion regardless, do you have another? It still looks to me like someone removed the timing cover crank seal by driving it into the engine with a screwdriver or something. Are all the pieces you pulled out of the oil pan metal, have you tried a magnet on them? If the part is a piston ring there should be some serious damage to the cylinder walls. I`ve seen broken rings on pistons but they`ve stayed in place until the pistons were removed. With the pictures you`ve supplied I don`t see any major catastrophes. Besides something like the seal in the timing cover ,I`m at a loss. Is there a member in or around Santa Clara, Ca. that can help out sublimeswinger?

Yes i do have a new timing cover and water pump. I took pics of the old one because this is what we found when i first took it off ( a while ago).

When i rotate the crank and have the piston move up and down there is not any noise or scrapping sound. IMO if a ring was broken, would there not be some sort of resistence? some sort of rub or scrape to say "hey somethings wrong"?

I looked into each cylinder as i rotated it and there were not any visable scratches,scrapes or gouges. they were all smooth and undistorted.

So now what? if i pull the pistons,and there is nothing wrong,can i use the say rings and put them back in?

I would think if any of those pieces you showed us were part of piston rings that you would see and hear the problems. Somewhere along the way that engine was in a vehicle that was hit hard in the front, odds are good that something busted during that impact. During impact parts may have broken and then found there way into the pan. It also could have happened as a result of somebody doing a botched repair on the front of the engine after the accident. Did the car have good oil pressure, compression? Did you find any tiny metal particles? I`m guessing the rotating assembly is okay but if you`ve got it down this far? It`s up to your wallet.

If the cylinders have any kind of ridge you might have a time getting the pistons out without a reamer. If things are within tolerances ,now that you`ve ridge reamed the cylinders to remove the pistons, you might as well hone them and install new rings. Since you`ve gotten it taken apart that far you might as well replace the main and rod bearings. It`s the snowball effect, but you see what I`m getting at. If you can get the pistons out ,I don`t see why you can`t reuse the rings as long as you don`t rotate them on the piston and be sure you put the same piston back in the same cylinder in the same orientation with the same rod bearing.

You may just have crud left from an earlier repair. The cyclinders look like typical high miles wear to me. You wont hear anything from broken rings. But the cylinder wont hold much for compression when tested. I ha da 340 I detonated a ring land apart on. I found the two oil rings (the thin sections) wrapped around the camshaft, and expander and aluminum bits in the valley area in addition to the pan. Windage does some interesting things with broken parts. Really the only way you'll find ou is to pull the pistons and rods out. And...BTW....I hope you only take pics in sandals. You're an idiot if you do engine work in open toed shoes.

And...BTW....I hope you only take pics in sandals. You're an idiot if you do engine work in open toed shoes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Just for pics. I was wearing my steel toe boots, long pants, long sleved shirt, safty goggles and hard hat.LOL

disclaimer "the guy writing that has several scars on his feet" :D. Them pistons get heavy falling 2'...

moper said:
disclaimer "the guy writing that has several scars on his feet" :D. Them pistons get heavy falling 2'...

I was thinking it was a California, David Frieburger thing. :lol:

Talked to you on the phone the other day about the 318 I have. I'm just about ready to give the thing away, so if you want it give me a call or PM. It may be better than what you've got.

So this is a motor you were given or bought ?

My guess is some of those might be shaved off pieces of thrust bearing ? Was the motor beat on alot during its life ?

I'd pull it apart and measure clearances as you go before trying to use it.

Good luck with it and let us know what you find as you go.

-
Back