Metal Intake Manifold Gasket

-

RogerK

Reaction score
I have a Fel-Pro upper engine gasket set that came with 2 types of intake gaskets, metal with the crossover blocked and (for lack of a better word) the fiber ones. I used the fiber ones on my last install of my cast iron intake. I want to install my Eddy Performer soon. Any problem using the metal gaskets with the aluminum intake?

Discuss. :happy1:

The metal ones only work on 318 heads. I found that one out the hard way :banghead:

There could probably be some corrosion after a long time. If you change intakes often not a big deal. If its going to be on there for a long time I might get a different gasket to be on the safe side.

The metal ones are usually quite a bit thinner so port alignment can be affected. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes it's not. You can tell which will work the best by setting each in place and setting the intake on and see how well the bolt holes line up. Metal ones also require sealer. A shellac type works best IMO... I believe the reason Sir Dan found the metal ones only work on 318's is because their for the small port heads. They have a sealing ridge that'd probably fall into the larger 340/360 ports.

ionly use the metal gaskets for the iron intake,and the composition gaskets on aftermarket aluminum intakes....

As stated the metal are for 318 and 273 . Port size is the issue lay them on the intake and you will see.

You're less than 15 minutes from me... I have a ton of those gaskets because I like to use the Mr. Gasket fiber ones... The steel as said is for the 318 - the fiber are the 340/360. Steel will work on the aluminum intake if it's a 318 port. If you need more let me know...lol.

You're less than 15 minutes from me... I have a ton of those gaskets because I like to use the Mr. Gasket fiber ones... The steel as said is for the 318 - the fiber are the 340/360. Steel will work on the aluminum intake if it's a 318 port. If you need more let me know...lol.

I may take you up on those Mr Gasket metal ones. I don't like how the ports line up on the Eddy Performer intake with the Fel-Pro gaskets. Yes I have the small port heads on the engine.

I'm busy this weekend an I will be gone on Vacation the next two weekends. I'll PM you when I get back. Thanks for the offer. :cheers:

I needed thin gaskets for my 340. I saw some on ebay but was reluctant to buy them because you guys say they won't work on a 340. I have the elde performer heads with the rpm air gap intake.
These fit perfectly...the only thing I don't know is if they go in ridge in or out. Also, I read that the gasket sealer to use is Permatex "The right stuff" ...so going to give that a whack.

20191019_161456.jpg

I needed thin gaskets for my 340. I saw some on ebay but was reluctant to buy them because you guys say they won't work on a 340. I have the elde performer heads with the rpm air gap intake.
These fit perfectly...the only thing I don't know is if they go in ridge in or out. Also, I read that the gasket sealer to use is Permatex "The right stuff" ...so going to give that a whack.

View attachment 1715410764

Doesn't matter which way they go.

Only use copper coat on those gaskets. That's it. Or silver paint, but the copper coat is better.

You're taking a big chance. Those gaskets work by trapping air in the raised channels. They were never designed to be used in bi-metal applications.

You can us them and maybe get lucky. You're better off getting the correct gaskets and machining the intake to fit. That's what I'd do.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter which way they go.

Only use copper coat on those gaskets. That's it. Or silver paint, but the copper coat is better.

You're taking a big chance. Those gaskets deal by trapping air in the raised channels. They were never designed to be used in bi-metal applications.

You can us them and maybe get lucky. You're better off getting the correct gaskets and machining the intake to fit. That's what I'd do.
Thank you for the reply.
You have a very valid point and I will definitely take that into consideration.

-
Back