Method for Starting a Project

-

xmerlinx

Regards and God Bless
Reaction score
Just curios what everyone's method is for starting a new project car... Get it running first? Go straight to restoration? Thought this might be a cool thread.

PS Wasn't exactly sure where to post this.

T
Just curios what everyone's method is for starting a new project car... Get it running first? Go straight to restoration? Thought this might be a cool thread.

That would depend on what you have for equipment and how much room you have and funds. I try to set small goals instead of turning it into a bare shell acid dipped rotisserie restoration. I'm just not that well equipped, funded or motivated. It's amazing the extent of restoration some people pull off. Beautiful cars. Top to bottom.

Getting or keeping it running and mobile is a good idea. Paint the engine compartment and reinstalling the engine is a good first goal. Basically keeping it drivable as you roll.

This is #1. Next is where and your plan. Then the car. Driver ? 100 point resto ? Resto Mod ?
Last is support (for me) Meaning are you a family man ? Family comes first. Or are you a do it yourself,by yourself kinda guy?

Kinda depends what you're starting with.
If it's not much more than a bare shell or a roller, I'll start with all the stuff that I can't get at if it was a complete car- engine bay, suspension, hardlines, wiring, any floorpan/frame work. That kind of stuff. Then I add other things depending on what I already have on hand, and start the search for whatever else is needed; then move on as other parts are acquired.
I seem to approach things a little different than most people in that I save the driveline for last; whereas most people seem to build their engine/trans first and finish the car around it. I can't do that- it makes no sense to me to build a fresh engine and then leave it sit, possibly for years, while the rest of the car takes shape (and possibly life forcing you to put things on hold entirely).
If it's a complete car, I start with whatever it needs to make it driveable and safe. Then move on to what I want to change, if anything.

There really can't be an answer to this question without knowing a lot more, but I'll build a little on what a few others have already said. The way I see it, it REALLY depends on 3 things. 1) How far are you taking it, 2) What are you starting with, and 3) How much can you afford to spend.
If I bought a decent driver and don't plan on a complete restoration, then I would probably consider engine, drive train and suspension first. Then I'd do other things as I could.
If I bought a car (in any condition) and planned on a complete rebuild/restoration, I would do bodywork and rust repair first, then paint, followed by suspension so as to make a roller. Then driveline and interior would be last.

Last edited:
it really depends on what the goal of the car is. if you're doing a full point resto or just making a nice driver the end goals are kinda, sorta, the same but everything in the middle is totally different.

either way i like to have a car that, well, resembles a car before i start taking it apart and modifying anything. for instance, i like to make sure that the rear end and springs and front end and steering-- basically the chassis-- is all decent and sorted before faffing about. nothing sucks worse than spending the time and energy of cleaning, prepping, installing torque boxes and then spraying everything nice only to find out that one side of the spring location is all out of sorts.

if you got it as a roller and a bunch of boxes take an inventory of everything and write it down-- in two places-- i use a notebook dedicated to that project and keep a spreadsheet with notes. and then take pictures of everything, print off some of the important things that i might need to make notes on and then keep a file on the computer and one on a hosted site with a dedicated album.

but usually, i like to make sure that it runs first. if it doesn't have a motor, then i'll turn my attention toward the rest of the car and determine what i need to do in order to get a motor in and make it run. like the professor said, i like to do stuff that is easier to get at when it's in pieces like plumbing and wiring. paint and interior are last on the list.

Never a truer word spoken.
one of those: you don't know how much it hurts to get hit in the face, till you've been hit in the face kinda deals.

you'd think i would've learned my lesson the first or second time, but it only took having to redo the entire inner fender, apron and frame rail to cure me of that...

Some people sit down and write out a formulated plan, step by step and mark things off as they go. I've never been that danged organized. With my current car, Vixen, my 64 Valiant, since her engine did at least fire and sputter, the first thing I did was run a compression test and she passed with flying colors. That told me right off that she was worth throwing a major tuneup at the engine and getting it running well, which I did and drove her almost two years before I swapped in a different engine. If that helps any.

one of those: you don't know how much it hurts to get hit in the face, till you've been hit in the face kinda deals.

you'd think i would've learned my lesson the first or second time, but it only took having to redo the entire inner fender, apron and frame rail to cure me of that...
Mine had rear frame rails done when I bought it........Turns out the rear spring brackets were 3/4 inch too far forward. I fixed that, but without a chassis jig, I'm hoping for the best. I have a great floor in the shop, took a ton of measurements, and dropped and marked plum bobs. All of the measurements were great, but I'll let you know after the alignment LOL...........

oh, something i'd forgotten to mention before. depending on how project-y the car is, check that the paperwork sorted out before you drop a nickle into it.

make sure that the title is straight, your numbers are all correct and match what they're supposed to and that you don't owe a bajillion dollars in back fees or need an inspection or that it's a salvage title or whatever.

i knew a guy that bought a project that had been stolen in the late 80's early 90's. he'd spent a good amount of money getting it all together and making it enough of a roller to go get the CHP inspection for tags and title and it popped hot.

he got jammed up and had to go to court in order to get some of his money back on the parts he'd bought, but was out the full amount on the purchase and his time/labor.

First- have a plan. What do you want from this car? Do you have funds to build it to that level? Do you have the space and expertise to take it to that level?

Seen a lot of "ok" cars that ran, and then got taken apart to make "perfect," and never made it back together in owner's lifetime.

Think it depends on the person, mainly what keeps you motivated and what you prefer, work on or driving. I bet most would be better keep it drivable and fix it in stages. Plus if you ever need to dump it a streetable car will get more $$$ and easier to sale.

Think it depends on the person, mainly what keeps you motivated and what you prefer, work on or driving. I bet most would be better keep it drivable and fix it in stages. Plus if you ever need to dump it a streetable car will get more $$$ and easier to sale.
That is the exact reason I have been putting my project on fast forward. It's a basket case right now. And the same reason I suggested keeping it drivable. We are all at different positions in life.

That's been my problem most my life, buy a car tear it apart lose interest dump it.
Never again will I let my car get to far from drivability.

Just like building a house, I'd make sure I have a solid foundation first. This alone dictates the rest of the project.

Step 1: Find secret treasure map
Step 2: Dig up treasure

1703165538674.png

I agree with all the above advice. The viability of a project is directly related to your available work space, your skill level, and how fat your wallet it. Those can go together in any combination to succeed. As the proud owner of nine Mopars (only two of which run), I would do the following if I was to do it again.

Before even starting, have a good plan for what you have and where you want to end up, and then stick with it. It is very expensive to change directions during a build. Ask me how I know... :BangHead:

After that, the first order of business is to make it run. A car that can move under its own power is a HUGE plus. It completely sucks having to move dead cars around manually, especially if you're on a slight incline like me and have to use your truck to push/pull the cars anywhere.

Next I'd get it road worthy. Brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, steering.

After that, I'd take things in bite-size pieces. While there are some sturdy souls who have the focus and determination to do a full nut-and-bolt resto in one shot, most of us aren't put together that way. Driving the car and having fun with it while taking it down for some improvements a week at a time beats the hell out of getting overextended and letting the car sit. It's easy to get discouraged/disgusted and leave the car in pieces for an extended period of time. BTDT multiple times before I learned my lesson.

If possible, expand your wrenching group to a couple of fixit buddies. It's a plus if they are Mopar folks but any car person who is willing to trade labor with you makes the project tremendously faster and simpler. You'd think two people would be twice as fast to do something as one, but really it's more like 4-5 times faster. Extra hands and experience are worth their weight in gold.

It all depends on the person. Generally it is a big plus to have a project that will fire up and move at least. BIG plus.

Other guy love the idea of a project, all apart and missing half it stuff..taking many years to roundup every part needed for the build.... taking decades to make it PERFECT so it can will that $5 plastic trophy..... thats their bag. BUT are you working a full time JOB or retired!!!!

And all those in between.

Back in the 80s, 90s I built bunch knowing I had my "keepers" (which always eventually found a new home unfortunately) and those I built knowing they would be sold.

I had tons of parts but I looked for a complete car and the best car for the $ but it had to be worth the price.

I cleaned it all up inside and out. Stripped out the interior, pulled the engine and sent it to the machine shop, the trans to my buddy that was a trans mechanic, the body to on of my guys that did old cars, ordered Legendary interior. and took all that to my upholstry guy. Pull the bumpers, door handles and whatever I wanted OFF. I later did the carpet, headliner an all interior. If I was going to replace the windshield and pull dash to work on wiring I did that.

Up to me to do whatever to the front suspension and rear end. Putt engine and trans back in, get it running, had a guy that bent my exhaust.

I usually had one of "My cars " in the garage I was working on.

A person would be surprised today how quick a car can be done IF the outside guys are doing what they should. (but it did not take a year for Legendary to make the damn stuff!!!!)

-
Back