Mexican Superbees

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
O.K. first off yes you read that right i said mexican superbees. i stumbled across these cars about 4 months ago. there is very little info on these cars or their excistance(sp). here is what i do know about them. these cars started being made in 1970 as 71 models. they were phased in to take place of the current mexican muscle car at the time the dart gts. first off these cars are not exactly like the us counterparts. they have alot of unique differences. they are hybrids if you will. you will see what i mean. production on these cars is was very low throught their life. only a few thousand (4-6) per year from what i have gathered. in 1970 the superbee was introduced for the 71 model year. it was by all standards a 1971 duster twister. there was some special striping. they used the dart 340 scoops on the hood. they made use of factory hood tach on just about every superbee made as well. the engine was a different story. the superbee used a high performance version of the 318. it was rated at 270 hp! it had the US 340 intake and thermoquad setup from a 1970 duster. it also used the US 340 cam. compression ratio? unknown. the 318 remained the hot setup for the first 4 years......... in these pics notice the hood scoops and their special badges. this car is factory striped.

70 mexican superbee3 .jpg

70 mexican superbee.jpg

70 mexican superbee2.jpg

starting in 1972 things got alittle weird. the superbee came into it's own and took off. the 1972 model was the last "clone" if you will. the 72 model was made from a dodge demon. the engine was still the hp. 318. the car now stood out with wild stripeing. the stripeing was a 1 year setup. it made use of the plymouth roadrunner roof stripe and a giant superbee logo. hood scoop is a demon 340 scoop. the hood stripeing is 2 verticle stripes leading to the scoop. this car is factory correct...

72 mexican superbee.jpg

72 mexican superbee2.jpg

for 1973 the car changed to a hybrid platform. i have not been able to find any pictures of the car with it's correct stripeing. i do know that starting in 73 these cars had a 73 plymouth front and a 73 dart rear. 318 unchanged for 73. hood scoops? i have seen the twister scoops on a couple but cannot verify if this is correct for 73.....

for 1974 these cars changed again. 1974 was the last year of the hp. 318. the stripeing got wilder. it appears as though the stripe came from a 71 charger superbee , but changed at the end of the car to a wider stripe with superbee written in it. again it is a 1 year stripe. the front of the car is now a 1973 dart? with a 1974 duster rear. the hood scoop used this year is from a 72 demon. this car is factory striped and correct.

74 mexican superbee.jpg

for 1975 the superbees changed again. the 318 was gone. it was replaced by a high performance 360 rated at 300 hp! this engine would last through 76 and into the f-bodie superbees. more on this later. 1975 used the same dart front end only a 1975 model now. the rear was 1975 duster. the stripeing changed to look like the 1975 duster 360 stripe but it had alittle more flair to it with super bee 360 written in the end of it. hood scoops from what i can tell went away this year, although i could be wrong on this. hood tach was still available. this car is about 100% factory original and a show winner.

75 mexican superbee2.jpg

75 mexican superbee rear.jpg

75 mexican superbee3.jpg

1976 the superbee changed it's stipeing again. the car now had a wide stripe that ran down the side. this car still had a hp 360 engine. i was not able to find out alot of information on this year. the front now appears to have gone back to the 1975 duster and the rear is the 1975 dart w/ the stainless trim piece. the hood on the pictured car is incorrect and a replacement. i can only guess that the factory hood was flat and the hood tach would still have been an option. the a-bodie story stops here, but the superbee lived on. the superbee lasted at least through 1979 that i can tell. it was now an f-bodie. it was based on the aspen r/t. it again shared some plymouth touches , now it was the roadrunner lending some of it's features. starting in 1977 the superbee was also used by the mexican police department from what i have read. the 360 remained at 300hp for the rest of the time it remained in production again at least through 1979. i do need to say this was the top of the line engine as was the hp 318. each year had the slant 6 as the base engine available. i personally would like to thank Dustermex for helping me with this thread. he lives in Mexico City and is a member here. he provided me with some useful pics and links to further information. i would like to add that maybe we are missing the boat on these cars. i know that these cars have to be as rare as hens teeth. i think these cars are really overlooked as collectors items. maybe we should take a trip south of the border and find some?!!!

76 mexican superbee.jpg

wow good find and info :thumbup: i had no idea, id love to take one of these to a local show and see the look on peoples faces, but thats a duster/demon, and it has a superbee stripe/logo :tongue9:

If you took them to shows,youd get into arguments I,m sure,people just wouldn't beleive it!

o.k. after a long time i finally found pictures of a correct 1973 superbee(mirrors are not original). i now know that the 73 superbee has a dart sport front not a duster as thought. the rear is also from a 1973 dart sport. the paint setup seems to be a mixture from plymouth. the hood has the dart sport scoop but with a duster twister blackout that runs up the door edge and into the roofline. the side has a giant superbee logo. the rear has superbee spelled out in playful letters with a small superbee logo at the end. most likely this is from a 1970 superbee. there also seems to be small superbee emblems at the bottoms of the front fenders as well. all in all this is again a 1 year setup. it must be very hard to restore one of these cars :scratch:

73 front.jpg

73 side.jpg

73 rear.jpg

1969340dart said:
WHEN WE GOING TO MEXICO TO LOOK FOR CARS! IM READY

Bobby
i hear ya! this one was for sale for 38000 pesos. this is about $3450.00 in us dollars. a good buy i'd say....i wouldn't mind owning a few of these.

i found this today while surfing the web. this is an original article from a magazine from mexico. it is talking about the new mexican superbee for 1970. nice original pic, so i thought i would add it here.

Snap2.jpg

My question would be: Is it even possible to import these and get them legally titled and registered in terms of DOT/EPA regulations?

i would think so. haven't you seen any right hand drive cars here form other countries? i know i have. if they can come here then these cars should be able to come over here. i guess as long as they have a vin number of some sort, that would be all that would matter.

great info.my wife is a supervisor in a turkey plant were there are alot of mexicans employed.they drive down there alot in there trucks to visit there families.i should see if they could find one of these parked around and bring me one back.it would be neat to add to the heard.keep up the great researching of these cars

Very informative thread. I think these cars are really cool. I would love to own one. Maybe a clone?? Hmmmm...

Yeah those Mexico Super Bees are suave'. It's like Chrysler's Mexico Division back then mended a lot of popular characteristics from B-body and E-body (strpes/effects) cars all while using an A-body platform (Tequilla Bees). Definatly Unique. I belive that the hood tach on them were also a Mopar Performance/Hustle Stuff aftermarket part here in the states.
By the way.. In regards to the trip down to Mexico to find cars is a Great idea. I'm down for it. I need a vacation.
:toothy10:

I saw one at the Woodly Park show in San Fernando Valley this year. I was walking thru the A bodies and did a double take on the car. It was a Demon, but a Superbee. It was registered in Mexico still, Guadalahara if I remember correctly. It was Red and pretty much seemed to be original, even had the original stripes. Some of the paint was redone, but not the whole car, im sure they wanted it to still have the correct decals ect. It was really really cool, I looked at it for a while, so there still out there anyways.

Mark

I saw one at the Woodly Park show in San Fernando Valley this year. I was walking thru the A bodies and did a double take on the car. It was a Demon, but a Superbee. It was registered in Mexico still, Guadalahara if I remember correctly. It was Red and pretty much seemed to be original, even had the original stripes. Some of the paint was redone, but not the whole car, im sure they wanted it to still have the correct decals ect. It was really really cool, I looked at it for a while, so there still out there anyways.

Mark

He has a Mexican 68 Dart GTS also. That is a cool car too. GTS 318 with GTS hood, Barracuda dash, fold down front center armrest, rear fold down center arm rest, heater delete with control block off plate they used on the Hemi S/S Cuda's, mexican rallye rims, bench seat 4spd...

PICT1810.JPG

PICT1811.JPG

PICT1812.JPG

PICT1813.JPG

yeah the mexican bees rules ( hahah) here they were the mustang ( mach1 ) chelleve ss and amc javelins ( they only offered with the six cilynder ) killers :snakeman:

also were the federal police persuit units :cheers:

oh i have a 73 for sale 318(340 intake and cam ) tremec 4speed dana 44 bucket seats 15inch wheels whit new tires on 4 corners
its the year model that came with the us dartsport front clip and 73 duster back lights
2,225 dollars in cd juarez chihuahua (next to el paso) or nogales sonora (next to nogales az)
if you want some pics send me a pm

-
Back