Mice, Rats, Beavers, Marmots. Snakes, Cats. Rant / Questions

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
So,
00 F-150 not being used much, sitting out back in the field for a couple months. Mice been having a celebration in it. How they get on top of a leather seat head rest and piss all over it, is beyond me. Got chewed up particles flying out my vents! Mice droppings everywhere!

The Jensen sat under a car-port under a car cover for 2 months, must have been a tribe of mice building a fortress in there. Pulled 3 nests out. Had to remove all the carpets, soak with laundry detergent, scrub, pressure wash, hang in the sun for 3 days. Scrub the entire interior with weak bleach water, water, then mink oil (interior made of 15 cow hides).

I have heard dryer sheets, moth balls, poison everywhere, leaving car cover off so they cant climb it. I dont like poison cause my cats may eat the poisoned up mice. Moth balls, well, first I have to get the moths and they are hard to find..

This has got to stop!!

What about just putting the car up on jack stands with a little wrap of aluminum sheet metal on the vertical part of the stand so they cant climb it? Leaving 4 " clearance off the tires to the ground? Would the mice still parachute and jump off overhanging tree limbs or rafters to get inside and build a next on my intake valve?

Or putting the tires on slick blocks of steel 6" height?

Does anyone have a tried and tru way to keep mice out of the vehicles?

My neighbor suggested chucking several rattle snakes into the car which is funny and also not helpful in the least but still funny..

Also, garage / barn cats:

How much should you "moderate" their food intake to encourage them to eat mice? I have 2 recently aquired fixed female cats then one calico showed up too, so my shop has 3 cats fiddle farting around in there all night long. Need to encourage them to eat all moving creatures / kill like there is no tomorrow. I feed them every other day but get the impression they are jacking around on the job..

Any shared wisdom would be much appreciated.

This story just made my day! Thanks. I had my '98 Ram down over winter while I was slowly rebuilding the transmission. I finally got everything ready to start the re-install and noticed when I pulled the hood up that they reknitted the sound-deadening blanket on the underside of the hood into a mouse hotel for the neighborhood brood. Luckily, they didn't go inside the cab. That was totally off the ground for the entire winter, so the 2+' climb up the jack stands didn't seem to ward them off like I figured it would. I've always heard mothballs would keep them out. They seem to work good in the pop up camper we have. I filled a plastic butter tub with them and just sat them inside the camper when we button it up every year. I guess it's the smell they don't like, so it's not like you have to spread them out all over the place, just as long as they're in the main airspace of the cab or whatever you're trying to keep them out of...

--Getting the moths is the easy part, getting the rubber band around em is the hard part...

I just located this stuff on the internet box. Its made of de-hydrogenated moose piss, which is highly refined. Apparently similar to cyclopentadiene, it is intimidating to mice.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/mice/mouse-repellent.php

I am thinking about putting it in little cloth bags and installing about 6 per car.
Downside is, car may smell like moose piss which is probably way worse than dead rats.
.Dang.

An old timer by me suggested jack stands sitting in trays of oil. Found some 5" deep trays, put jack stands in them and filled them up with oil. No mice so far....

soak cotton balls in pepper mint oil and put them in the car.. pepper mint plant on the out side too.. mice/rats wont come anywhere near them. Yesterday I just replaced my stove b/c within a wk my house was over run by mice.. disgusting! My two boxer dogs were way to lazy and would rather bite a stranger than a little mouse. We finally got rid of all the mice b/c we found out were they were getting in.

I use mothballs.
I put a plastic butter bowl with tiny holes
in the lid and a few balls in it in the trunk.
I then toss a handfull on the floor under the car,
never had a problem with mice, bugs or animals
in the whole shop.

I've had mouse droppings in my polebarn for the first 10 years I owned it. They nested in my vehicles, crapped all over. Tried the poison, some success, buy they kept coming in for the "food source". Tried the bucket with water with oats on top . . . . didn't work, just stunk up the barn. Tried the moth balls, dryer sheets, kinda kept them out of the vehicles, but they still had a field day in the barn. Tried traps to include the glue type, caught a few. Still lots of droppings . . . . This year, after a member here (I believe 64dart170, John)used a method to keep a bat out of his garage, I left a radio on 24/7. They hear the radio and will not come in. They must think there are humans in the barn. All winter, spring, and this summer I have had zero mouse turds. God luck with whatever you try!

I have heard of people using mothballs in a car then having a heck of a time getting the smell of the moth balls out of the car. Heard once of an aviation product that you spary around the wheels and the mice will not cross it, can't remember what the name was, but being as it was an aviation product I'm sure it wasn't cheap, and then it would have to be renewed every so often.

Get a boa constrictor like the hummer in gone in 60 secs had. that way it wont poison u if it bites you

I use dryer sheets, in trunk,glove box, under seats, under hood and in the ends of the tail pipes. No mice so far and the car smells good. I like the radio idea, that's how I keep the foxes and coyotes away from my chickens!

It's just a thought but maybe they'd chew through it anyway.....then you'd really be pissed!

nsxincapsule.jpg

Downy dryer sheets work best for me.I put them everywhere...under dash,above visors(saves headliner),around plug wires,under seats,trunk area.No mice!:D

Update, the dehydrogenated moose piss has been working like clock work for 3 months at a time. I have to put some new "pouches" of it around the area or inside the old cars about every 3 months as I start to see evidence of mouse droppings.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shake-Away-2853338-Repellent-Granules/dp/B005VZYCK8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1370752514&sr=8-9&keywords=critter+repellent"]Amazon.com: Shake Away 2853338 Rodent Repellent Granules, 28-1/2-Ounce: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Update, the dehydrogenated moose piss has been working like clock work for 3 months at a time. I have to put some new "pouches" of it around the area or inside the old cars about every 3 months as I start to see evidence of mouse droppings.

Amazon.com: Shake Away 2853338 Rodent Repellent Granules, 28-1/2-Ounce: Patio, Lawn & Garden

How's the smell?

It's amazing how much damage mice can do. Plus they can fit in the smallest hole. Had a mouse get behind a timing cover ( not sure how) jumped the timing belt and blew the motor. Glad it was a customer's Honda and not mine. Car had only 20k on it. The guy was pissed.

I have dryer sheets in my cars and a few other places too. It works for me.

There's a pleasant smelling, non-toxic product called Earthkind-Fresh Cab. It's available from many farm product stores as the farmers use it in seasonally stored machinery. It's also available from Amazon and others.

My local mice are immune to dryer sheets. I put about a quarter of a box of sheets in the car and they literally crapped on top of them while having a picnic. Moth balls seem to work pretty well too, but are noxious to have all over the inside of your vehicle.

The fresh cab stuff on amazon got mostly terrible reviews. Maybe it's not the authentic brand as noted in one review.

I bought the shake away rodent repellent referenced above because after reading about 400 reviews of many products and techniques, this product appeared to have the best real world results.

Update, I've been running the shop stereo on classic rock, about half throttle, 24/7 lately and this appears to take care of the inside and outside area of shop and shelves. We will see when it gets cold. Also the stereo doesn't scare raccoons. They're like spider monkeys, they're afte the cat food on the outside shelf. Jerks.

I've had mouse droppings in my polebarn for the first 10 years I owned it. They nested in my vehicles, crapped all over. Tried the poison, some success, buy they kept coming in for the "food source". Tried the bucket with water with oats on top . . . . didn't work, just stunk up the barn. Tried the moth balls, dryer sheets, kinda kept them out of the vehicles, but they still had a field day in the barn. Tried traps to include the glue type, caught a few. Still lots of droppings . . . . This year, after a member here (I believe 64dart170, John)used a method to keep a bat out of his garage, I left a radio on 24/7. They hear the radio and will not come in. They must think there are humans in the barn. All winter, spring, and this summer I have had zero mouse turds. God luck with whatever you try!

This may just work.
I left WSB talk radio on in my barn last winter and the squirrels didn't come in for a change.
True.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAdvqQzO1PY"]slim whitman indian love call from mars attacks! 480x200 - YouTube[/ame]

Update, I've been running the shop stereo on classic rock, about half throttle, 24/7 lately and this appears to take care of the inside and outside area of shop and shelves. We will see when it gets cold.

Yep, even just having it on static works. I do this because of the mice problems in west texas, and it draws in rattle snakes looking for food. Also a good dose of moth balls in the cars and under them helps too.

Hopefully they dont start liking your classic rock, and jammin to it. Then you will have to play brittany spears ro drive em away like they have to with the somali pirates.

Btw have you ever smelled moth balls?
If so, howd you get their tiny legs apart? LOL

The stereo has decent bass so I think it vibrates the structure a bit which may help.

Yea I plan to switch over to modern pop music soon and really make their ears bleed!

-
Back