Michigan Registration Question

-

ANG 2S000

Reaction score
I could use some advice from my fellow Mopar Michiganders.

I have a 69 Dart, and I have been given seemingly conflicting information from the Secretary of State's Office and State Farm regarding registering and insuring my vehicle.

I am being told by State Farm that I can register my car with Historical Plates, and can continue to drive it up to 3,000 miles a year, which would probably about do it for me I think. I only drive when it's nice out and probably wouldn't be taking her on any long road trips, just cruising around and maybe taking my long 3 mile commute to work.

However, the SOS office is holding to the "club activities, shows, parades, etc." line on the brochure line, and is saying not routine travel isn't allowed. I asked during my last trip and they said they hadn't heard of the 3,000 mile thing. Not sure if "routine travel=daily driver".

The thing is, insurance with State Farm is considerably cheaper with the historical registration that for a standard one. Almost not even worth switching to storage for the winter.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with this and any pros or cons for each?

Thanks!

Get historical plates and insurance and drive it...

They will not know how many miles you drive each year and you are not required to report the mileage... (Don't ask - don't tell....)

as far as they know you are using it for car shows, or driving it to make sure it's ready for "the next one coming up"... "I just changed the brakes and am taking it for a test drive" if they ask... Etc...

I registered my ‘66 with normal plates.
I did not want any restrictions.

However, the SOS office is holding to the "club activities, shows, parades, etc." line on the brochure line, and is saying not routine travel isn't allowed.

That is correct, historical plates can only be used for car related activities. You can't jump in the car and run down to the store for a gallon of milk.

Now, with that being said, as long as you're out and about and not drawing attention to yourself, then most cops ain't gonna give you a second look.

The thing is, insurance with State Farm is considerably cheaper with the historical registration that for a standard one.

The insurance is cheaper because you will be limited in travel in their eyes.......car shows, parades, cruise in-s etc. which cuts down on the risk.

If you jump in the car to run an errand and you get in an accident, insurance may not cover you unless you are abiding with the state's laws in regards to classic plates.

With all of that said, I know a few people that risk it and never have a problem.

I'm sure someone will be along and tell you differently though, lol.

Make sure you get both plates. Necessary so someone else can't register the same #. You might want to look into Haggerty for insurance. State farm tried to pay me blue book value after an accident.

Hmm. When I went to State Farm to write the policy, they asked me what I wanted it ensured for. I really just started on it last year after purchasing it, so I am planning on increasing that amount a few thousand dollars each year as I do more to her. That way, God forbid something happen to her, I would be covered for all that I have in it.

See if you can find a set of 1969 plates and register them. If I remember correctly, you can buy a 2 or 3 year tag for them, cheaper than normal plates. I bought a mint pair for my 1970 Duster. Hopefully someday I will get the car on the road and will be able to us them!

I use all “same year” plates on all of my classic cars. They are $35 to register them for life. I’m of the mindset that I don’t daily drive them, and if I happen to drive one to work, it’s because I’m going to something after work. I also use Hagerty, which has a declared value policy. I’ve been pulled over a couple times, once when the same year plate was a 10 year registry, and the cop didn’t understand the law or tags on it. The other time I was pulled over was to check out the car. Never had a problem driving any of them!

I too use the "same year" plate with Hagerty insurance. As stated earlier, be sure to buy both plates.

I'll say it again. Don't use state farm. They are not set up to insure classic cars. Pick somebody like Haggarty that specializes in classic cars. Insurance doesn't mean anything if they won't pay a fair amount when you need them.

I have Hagerty and standard Mi plates on my car, I drive it anytime I like.
I pay less than $30.00/year for tabs and a few hundred dollars more a year for Hagerty, my choice for piece of mind.
With that being said, as I did, do the research, go to secretary of states web site, read all the options and see what fits you.
same with insurance, Hagerty is a good insurance but, as of late I am finding out that Grundy also offers good insurance also, coverage is comparable and, Grundy is a few hundred dollars less a year for almost the same coverage.
When my premium comes due in August, I will be finding the best insurance coverage for my money.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm currently looking into the different options you all have shared. Much appreciated.

I have same year plates and Hagerty. The plate registration is a one time non expiring registration for $35.00. I have been running my car with these plates for about 20 years. I was pulled over by a state officer last year and was questioned about my "non registered car". I showed him the registration that says "non expiring" and was on my way.

I could use some advice from my fellow Mopar Michiganders.

I have a 69 Dart, and I have been given seemingly conflicting information from the Secretary of State's Office and State Farm regarding registering and insuring my vehicle.

I am being told by State Farm that I can register my car with Historical Plates, and can continue to drive it up to 3,000 miles a year, which would probably about do it for me I think. I only drive when it's nice out and probably wouldn't be taking her on any long road trips, just cruising around and maybe taking my long 3 mile commute to work.

However, the SOS office is holding to the "club activities, shows, parades, etc." line on the brochure line, and is saying not routine travel isn't allowed. I asked during my last trip and they said they hadn't heard of the 3,000 mile thing. Not sure if "routine travel=daily driver".

The thing is, insurance with State Farm is considerably cheaper with the historical registration that for a standard one. Almost not even worth switching to storage for the winter.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with this and any pros or cons for each?

Thanks!

Don't get me started on state f--- , last people on earth I would ever use !!
Don't ask why , would be too long a post !

Don't get me started on state f--- , last people on earth I would ever use !!
Don't ask why , would be too long a post !

You mean like the time that my neighbors buddy was burning brush and burned down my buddies barn with about 12 cars in it? State Farm dragged their feet so long that the neighbor dies, then State Farm told my buddy to sue the neighbor, whom they knew was already dead?

You mean like the time that my neighbors buddy was burning brush and burned down my buddies barn with about 12 cars in it? State Farm dragged their feet so long that the neighbor dies, then State Farm told my buddy to sue the neighbor, whom they knew was already dead?
Mine was on a near new stolen pick up ----------

-
Back