Mig welder suggestion

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
Just traded off my little mig welder that was a real good welder but too small for some of the jobs I do. What I need is something that will weld 5/16". I have looked all around and see several rated to weld 5/16 but right now I don't have $700 for a Miller/Lincoln. Would love to get a top notch unit but it just can't happen. Too many house projects taking up money too. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good mig that'll weld 5/16 in one pass that costs less than $450 shipped to my door in IL? By what I'm reading I need at least 140 amps to do the job correctly. I have 220 in the garage so going with a 220 unit is fine.

BTW: I already have a cart and bottle, just need the machine

Fishy,

My brother and I own a small manufacturing facility in Decatur, IL. Over the years we have purchased a lot of Mig welders, most new, but some used. 2 things I would do, first search the net for the best reviews on Mig's for the amps you need and then check prices. 2nd, I would call some of the welding supply outfits that sell welders and gas and check with them on rebuilt or good used units. We have gotten some good deals on Millers and ESAB's.

Good luck!

Find a used Miller, ESAB or Lincoln, 220 volt in the 170-185 amp range.

Millermatic 175
Lincoln 175+, the SP is ok but has tapped voltage.

Hey Tracy,I always wanted a Mig welder and had been watching Canadian Tire flyers and Princess Auto(same as Harbor Freight)Then finally a Lincoln 180 came on sale at Canadian Tire for $465.This is when I started my minitub,cage project.So wait for the sales to come up..Spring is coming,so are the sales.Good Luck.
View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 062.jpg

Fishy,

My brother and I own a small manufacturing facility in Decatur, IL. Over the years we have purchased a lot of Mig welders, most new, but some used. 2 things I would do, first search the net for the best reviews on Mig's for the amps you need and then check prices. 2nd, I would call some of the welding supply outfits that sell welders and gas and check with them on rebuilt or good used units. We have gotten some good deals on Millers and ESAB's.

Good luck!

I've looked on craiglist but never thought about asking a welding supply if they'd have a used unit. I've got an IL-Mo right close, I'll give them a call. Tnx for the tip

Find a used Miller, ESAB or Lincoln, 220 volt in the 170-185 amp range.

Millermatic 175
Lincoln 175+, the SP is ok but has tapped voltage.

Tnx Rob. I've used both of those and loved them both. Will keep my eyes open. Unfortunately new prices so far are out of my ballpark unless I can find a sale, or a good used one.

Hey Tracy,I always wanted a Mig welder and had been watching Canadian Tire flyers and Princess Auto(same as Harbor Freight)Then finally a Lincoln 180 came on sale at Canadian Tire for $465.This is when I started my minitub,cage project.So wait for the sales to come up..Spring is coming,so are the sales.Good Luck.
View attachment 1714602893

Man that was a steal Scott. The bad thing is I need one asap. Been looking but so far haven't found a good one on sale, just cheap units.

You can do the layaway completely online then pick up at the nearest open location. Pretty easy. I did it with a TV one year and it was painless.

Tnx Tx. I was planning on checking them out too. I don't see a price on either. How can you tell the 190 is on sale?
I guess you need to go to the main page and put in your zip code to get the prices...
Go to the main page and look for their flyer...they always got a welder on sale...

I bought a Hobart 210 last year from a guy on craigslist who buys welders from tractor supply that are missing parts. The Hobart shares Miller mig parts. He rounds up all the missing pieces and sells them. I love my welder. Hobart makes a good machine.

I bought a Hobart 210 last year from a guy on craigslist who buys welders from tractor supply that are missing parts. The Hobart shares Miller mig parts. He rounds up all the missing pieces and sells them. I love my welder. Hobart makes a good machine.

I went to the local welding supply yesterday to see if they had any good used ones (they didn't) and he told me the same thing, that Hobart is made by Miller. I asked him why the Miller's cost nearly double and he said the Hobarts are made with some lighter duty parts, but they are still an excellent welder and he wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Nice to find an honest salesman. Only problem is the Hobart 190 is $200 more than I have right now and that's the sale price so I'm still looking for a good used rig. Tnx for your input

I bought a thremal arc 181i 2 years ago not one problem,lightweight and easy to move on a cart.
I'm very impressed with this unit,went in looking for a miller left with a thermal arc.

Check out Eastwood. I bought their 135A mig setup with helmet and cart last year for just over $450, and it's worked great. I believe they're made for Eastwood by a company in Italy. It says it's only good up to 1/4", but with multiple passes it'd handle 5/16 just fine.

They also have a 175A setup with the helmet and cart for $650, but it sounds like that's out of your price range.

Thanks everybody for their suggestions. I searched high and low and just can't come up with a good used Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, ESAB etc. that they don't want 90% (or more) of new cost for. I just can't see paying 90% of the cost of a new welder for something that is several yrs. old with no warranty. And unfortunately I can only scrape up $500 right now and need something right away. For that reason I ordered a new Eastwood 175. It was $500 shipped and comes with a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee. The reviews on Eastwood are very good which was also a deciding factor. Wouda like to bought a Mopar, but could only afford a Chevy, LOL....

Check out Eastwood. I bought their 135A mig setup with helmet and cart last year for just over $450, and it's worked great. I believe they're made for Eastwood by a company in Italy. It says it's only good up to 1/4", but with multiple passes it'd handle 5/16 just fine.

They also have a 175A setup with the helmet and cart for $650, but it sounds like that's out of your price range.

LOL... What a coincidence. As soon as I posted my last reply I see yours. I already have a cart and helmet so the 175 was in my price range.

Get whatever you need done in 30 days.... :)

LOL... I'd like to do that but I need one every once in a while so as long as it performs up to snuff I'll keep it. I plan on really putting it to the test right away. That way if it's not what it's cracked up to be I'll be able to send it back. After all the great reviews on their site I think I'll be ok with it. I need to weld aluminum every once in a while too so the spool gun should come in handy.

-
Back