MIG Welder Wire Question

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
In the past, I was not terribly worried about which brand of welding wire I bought. I had a Hobart welder (made by Miller) for about 18 years. I always used ER70S-6 wire (usually 0.24). I even bought some from Harbor Freight, and it seemed to work OK. Last year I bought a new Miller 211 welder with auto settings. WOW does it work great. I always use the auto setting. I get PERFECT welds every time. I got it from Cyber Weld at a good price, and it came with a free Miller welding helmet. It also came with a free roll of Hobart 0.30 ER70S-6 wire. The perfect welding I mentioned was done with this wire. Here is my question. I went online to buy some wire, and the Hobart ER70S-6 wire is made in China, and it is a lot more than most others. I am tempted to buy the Hobart, but I am wondering if there is really a difference between China made ER70S-6 wires. What is you experience?

Wire to me depends on the job you're doing. Some welders need a different size liner. I always use .23 but am a body guy so sheet metal is the most I do.

I use .30-.35 for everything from heavy 1/2 inch to 18 gauge.

Right now my miller 210 is running Harbor freight .30 in a .35 tip, welds fine.

I found an old, super dusty roll of .35 wire and tossed it in the trash. I will run HF wire before i use dirty old wire.

I used to like the hb28 it was as made here probably can’t even get it anymore

I recently ran out of wire on a Saturday. I had to purchase some from Napa to finish a job. I was a bit hesitant, since I've always bought my wire from praxair.

I was pleasantly surprised that their esab wire welded really nice. It's made in Mexico, so at least it's from the same continent.

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that 95% of my welding is on automobile sheet metal.

-
Back