Might buy a 65 Dart

-

BigBrice

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at a 65 Dart with a 360 & 904.

I'm lacking in knowledge of older cars and want to make sure I don't get boned by the seller with a lemon. I'm waiting for an email/phone call with more information but here's the ad for the car.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5160691767.html

My biggest worry is under that primer is a bunch of bondo...

So going off the picture and information provided, what do you Think? I'm trying not to have to spend too much on it to get on the road with it.

Big bolt pattern upgrade is a plus, 360/904 combo if running properly is a plus, looks like Cragar wheels those are certainly worth something.

If worried about bondo, take a magnet and a rag with you and check it over. Also check frame rails, floor pans trunk, rear rails etc for rust/rot. I usually have a screwdriver handy when checking frame rails etc, if you find rusty spots and can shove it through there, not a good sign, lol. Owner probably wouldn't like it though.

All in all probably not a bad deal. I'd go with 2 grand in my front pocket and make an offer if it's solid. Make sure you can hear it run and try to put the trans in forward and reverse gears.

If you find something that concerns you, come back and ask before plopping down the cabbage.

Welcome to the site.

Big bolt pattern upgrade is a plus, 360/904 combo if running properly is a plus, looks like Cragar wheels those are certainly worth something.

If worried about bondo, take a magnet and a rag with you and check it over. Also check frame rails, floor pans trunk, rear rails etc for rust/rot. I usually have a screwdriver handy when checking frame rails etc, if you find rusty spots and can shove it through there, not a good sign, lol. Owner probably wouldn't like it though.

All in all probably not a bad deal. I'd go with 2 grand in my front pocket and make an offer if it's solid. Make sure you can hear it run and try to put the trans in forward and reverse gears.

If you find something that concerns you, come back and ask before plopping down the cabbage.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the reply and information. I thought about offering him $1800 cash but he hasn't contacted me back yet and I have very short patience.

He said it has AC but doesn't work. What type of money an I looking at if I want to get it running again?

Cool car!
But it is a project so it'll be effort, time & money to get it so you can drive it.
So it doesn't have brakes that work and from the ad I don't know if the fuel system is any good - lots of risk here.
But it looks pretty decent in the ad - note: it appears to be missing candy cane chrome trim around head light which everyone with a '65 Dart seems to need a nice set of.
If those are large bolt pattern Cragars I would be surprised.
This could be a really good car for you but you really need to have someone that knows something about vintage Mopars go with you to look at this.

If those are large bolt pattern Cragars I would be surprised.

They sure look like sm. pattern wheels to me. The 4" Cragar wheels back then had a small center and specific cap. And they sure look the same, frt/rr to me. Nothing wrong with sm. pattern disks in my opinion, but it's something you need to verify, imo.

Same...^^^ ,on the S/S wheels.. Not a bad deal,in not a rust bucket.. Welcome.

Nice first impression. Be interesting to see rear axle also. Rust primary question.

Nice first impression. Be interesting to see rear axle also. Rust primary question.

More pictures should be coming tonight. Just got off the phone with the owner.

He tells me he has the big bolt front, and a big bolt rear axle that's not been installed yet.

No master cylinder installed but has a master + adapter plate for a dual reservoir master out of I think a 74 or 75 scamp he said? Body pretty solid, has had some body work done by previous owner including some filler in the front Quarters. Interior is ok except for some typical tearing in the front seat.

Does not have an ignition system included.

Sounds like that car has a lot that needs to be taken care of before it can be driven.
Plus a four door is tough car to sell if you need to resell it.
I know it cost more but this might be a better one to consider and its a drop top too with rebuilt engine & trans with new tires http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5155364741.html
My guess it is would be cheaper when all the time, work & aggravation is taken into account.

Sounds like that car has a lot that needs to be taken care of before it can be driven.
Plus a four door is tough car to sell if you need to resell it.
I know it cost more but this might be a better one to consider and its a drop top too with rebuilt engine & trans with new tires http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5155364741.html
My guess it is would be cheaper when all the time, work & aggravation is taken into account.

Yeah I am starting to feel this wasn't the great deal I thought it would be, now that he a told me everything he left out of the ad.

Stay away from 4 doors. Very few people like them, and any money you invest, you will not get back. Plus, it will be hard to sell. Jmo.

Stay away from 4 doors. Very few people like them, and any money you invest, you will not get back. Plus, it will be hard to sell. Jmo.

Well I kinda like 4 doors. I have a 3 year old and another on the way, plus you can get a lot better deals on them than you can a 2 door, since the demand isn't nearly as high, or so I'd assume

The big bolt pattern stuff may help with wheels 15" etc. rear axle is a nice upgrade (hoping for an 8 1/4 or 8 3/4") The dual master cylinder is a useful safety upgrade. It is hard to really get any money back, even the Barracudas... The front trim does get beat up. O'Reily's Auto Parts has the self stick chrome door edge that will serve as the candy canes (fades after a couple of years).

-
Back