mighty vac help

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Who was the kind soul that offered me an older core parts only mightyvac? Im looking to get one like this 80's (06820?) model back into service and am missing a few parts, namely the top pressure cap, piston seal, main spring and the cap that keeps all that together...This is a cool tool but the PVC build material sucks. Cracks develop over time in gauge tower. I found the bones of this while cleaning out the top of my tool cabinet, thought I tossed it.
sykes-pickavant-vacuum-pump-mityvac-.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is from the 80's....looks just like that, and it amazes me that it has needed nothing and developed no issues in all that time, given the nature of brake fluid!!

I have a box of these things I never use anymore. The metal ones will corrode over time and seize up.
I made a vac bottle to bleed brakes. Its an aluminum cylinder that I connect an hvac pump to. Its a breeze to bleed brakes by myself and it can also be used for fluid transfer. Removes fluid with vac and also has an air fitting to pressurize to remove fluids. Its not a real portable setup but works way better than a mityvac.

Sure make us all feel old. I have one of those and I thought it was high tech...
Actually, I quit using it when I purchased a Phoenix Injector. I suppose those are old too...:BangHead:
upload_2022-7-20_17-33-57.png

@MoparMike1974 , if you got a PVC version like mine that is just growing roots in that box, send it my way and Ill make you famous! I used it once to suck brakes but I used it more chasing vacuum leaking control pods on distributors and smog crap.

Who was the kind soul that offered me an older core parts only mightyvac? Im looking to get one like this 80's (06820?) model back into service and am missing a few parts, namely the top pressure cap, piston seal, main spring and the cap that keeps all that together...This is a cool tool but the PVC build material sucks. Cracks develop over time in gauge tower. I found the bones of this while cleaning out the top of my tool cabinet, thought I tossed it.
View attachment 1715958600
Well that kind soul would be me. I was going to give it to you when we were working on Kyle’s truck but you and I never met up. That thing floated around in the bed of my truck for weeks. Someone decided they wanted it and helped themselves to it. *** holes.

I have another good one if you need to borrow it.

Well that kind soul would be me. I was going to give it to you when we were working on Kyle’s truck but you and I never met up. That thing floated around in the bed of my truck for weeks. Someone decided they wanted it and helped themselves to it. *** holes.
Yeah.. I felt terrible after we left the scene without communicating that to you. We were just stoked on getting a running truck with the collection of garage bits I brought. You should have seen that upper hose we cobbled! Well, maybe you did when it spent the week at your place. Again, thanks for the offer! They are not that expensive (I saw a knock off on Ebay for $47) so perhaps it will get bought new.

Yeah.. I felt terrible after we left the scene without communicating that to you. We were just stoked on getting a running truck with the collection of garage bits I brought. You should have seen that upper hose we cobbled! Well, maybe you did when it spent the week at your place. Again, thanks for the offer! They are not that expensive (I saw a knock off on Ebay for $47) so perhaps it will get bought new.
No worries. Yea I got familiar with that truck. Looked it over pretty well. There was some hackery going on but he’s getting it sorted out. If you can’t find a mighty vac let me know.

@MoparMike1974 , if you got a PVC version like mine that is just growing roots in that box, send it my way and Ill make you famous! I used it once to suck brakes but I used it more chasing vacuum leaking control pods on distributors and smog crap.

I will dig them up, will be this weekend.

Do any of you have just the pump? Mine went south & I can't find just the pump.

@Demonracer...I took a compressor out of a back alley fridge (2 bolts and 2 hard lines cut with linesman pliers, 5 minutes!) to play with and found they pull a healthy vacuum out the inlet side, enough to pull down my A/C system through my A/C manifold.. They usually come with isolation mounting pads that make great feet as they sit on the ground. Splice in a lamp cord to the wires and plug it in, near silent operation. I ran 2 in series and was able to get 2 more inches of vacuum in my AC system. Im sure they would do great pulling into the top of the mightyvac fluid reservoir. @MoparMike1974 sounds like he is using the same setup. You can even adapt the pressure side for small airbrush use but they run through oil so Im not sure that is an ideal application.

I'm just looking for a Mightyvac style hand pump like in your first post, I use it for checking vacuum on carburetors & vacuum advance pods.

Yeah, old refrigerator compressors can be used as a vac pump. I remember my old man had one he rigged up.

-
Back