Migraine headaches-what to look out for

-
As a long ago long time suffering kid, there wasn't much years back. Now, there has been some research done and some meds are available. How well they work is an unknown to me and if it works on everyone, or just a few.

So Some Research and let us know.

My wife gets complex migranes, which the opposite of a stoke, but potentially as harmful. Surprising, Botox injections every six months seems to keep them at bay. Good luck, and hopefully good health for you wife. First time my wife had one I was seriously scared, hope you handled it better.

I get them occasionally since I was in my teens. I'm 50 now.

4 ibuprofen every 4 hrs for a day, and if the world let's me - sitting in a recliner in a darkened room. No sudden movements.

Many years ago, the doc gave me some stuff that would mess with my stomach. Didn't like that feeling at all.

does she wear glasses?

does she use her smartphone/tablet before bed?

does she consume ANYTHING with artificial sweetner, that is "sugar free" or "diet". Like ANYTHING at all, could be protein powder/bars, pre-workout, crystal light mix, bottled green tea drinks, etc. Artificial sweetners have been shown to wreak havok from migraines to MS like symptoms. Unfortunately they are being used more and more, often alongside regular sugar to mask the sugars, especially in things that are marketed as healthy ..

i took the wife to the hospital last night, she's only 31.

Should I be researching into this?

My wife started having them about a year ago, a few a week that would leave her unable to function. Many test and doctor visits (which didnt find anything) and a cocktail of meds and she is doing pretty good now. Doctors thought it would be a temporary thing since she had no history of them but over a year now on the meds. She thinks about trying to ease off the meds but is too afraid that they will come back. When she does have one she has some additional "emergency" meds to take and they have worked also.
Have friends that have done the botox and it worked and a friend wife just got a Daith piercing and says it has completely stopped them and takes no more meds. Google it, it seems to have mixed results.

lots of things can do it
my dad used to get them something bad, always on a Saturday
until one day he sat down and looked at his calendar monday through friday he would get up at 6, have breakfast, two cups of coffee and go to work
by 8 he would be at the office, having coffee #3

saturdays, he would wake up at 8ish , 3 cups of coffee shy and with a splitting headache

he adjusted those 3 cups down to 1 cup and 2 decafs and hasnt had a problem since

i get them myself too but sporadically, and i havent been able to pinpoint a trigger
(used to be, heavy drinking the night before tended to precede headaches)

one thing i have noticed is when i feel it coming (bad ones come with the lights, not sure how to explain it, but light sources gets halos, like looking into oncoming headlights through a rainy windshield) i can take regular meijers store brand migraine pills and things stay bearable

but i got to get to it quickly

one time, i got one so bad, i decided to self medicate
i took 3 vicodines i had left over from a root canal
that didnt help, so i took 800 ibuprofin
when that didnt touch it i figured i would at least sleep through the worst of it and took a handful of niquils
that whole combination did NOTHING for me...except for several bouts of projectile vomiting

"Daith" of S something I have not heard of. I couldn't remember the "Botox" injection thing.

Man I used to suffer horribly when I was younger for days. It was like being ground into chop meat and left forgotten in the hamber press left to rot on a long summers hot weekend.
And then it got worse.

My ex wife used to get the worst migraines.
In fact, I'll admit I thought she was being a hypochondriac.
February a year ago, she told her mother she had a splitting headache. She got up to take something and passed out and collapsed.
Turns out she was dead before she hit the floor.
She had a brain aneurysm and that was what had been causing her headaches all those years.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention that she also had extremely high blood pressure. Like 210/125 regularly.
I'm not telling you this to scare you, but it may be worth looking into.
My ex went years trying to get some relief and doctors just kept throwing pills at her. None of her doctors caught the aneurysm until it burst and killed her.

I did battle with migraines some years ago when I was working the night shift. Even experienced a migraine aura once at work and thought I was going blind. Endured some pretty extensive testing (including a CT scan) and it was when an eye doctor showed me an artist's rendition of an aura that migraines was diagnosed. Never found the cause/trigger until I moved and got a day job. They went away. It was from staying up too late. Haven't had one in some 12 years.

All the sympathy in the world for those who deal with them.

Ken

I have them constantly. Mine are caused by my neck. I take Amitriptyline daily, and Relpax when one kicks in. Main things, are find which one works for you, and learn to know when a migraine is starting, so you can take the medicine early. It takes several hours to work. So if I'm late on my medicine, I'm usually done until the next day.

-
Back