Mike's '67 Fastback Featuring Super Slow Progress

-

ggt1_02

Reaction score
Hello FABO. I have been a long time lurker and have only recently decided to attempt to make my rust bucket into an actual running car. It is a 67 Fastback with a 273 paired to a 904. No frills, the only options being an AM radio.

A little bit of history first, I bought the car back in 2004ish from a guy I was stationed with in Virginia, he had bought it local but I have no idea of the history of ownership before him. It had some engine work done, refreshed ignition, I replaced the water pump. I drove it a bit ended up needing to replace the front suspension components with a kit from PST as well as torsion bars from a 340 car. We received quite a bit of help from a local Barracuda fan as far as parts and knowledge. I moved it back to Michigan and parked it in 2005, I drove her around the block a few times but that's about it.

Over the years I have contemplated selling it off and on; however, I have received serious flack from the wife and others about regretting it if I do. So sell it I have not.

My short term plan is to change the oil and lube each cylinder before I start it to see if the lump is any good anymore. Baring any engine issues the brakes will be my next project to make it safe to drive, I know the front drivers side is wet on the back, I am assuming that is a really bad sign.

There is quite a bit of frame rail rust front and rear which will need to be tackled eventually by either full replacements or fabing something myself.

Anyways here is a shot from a few years ago of what she looks like today, it is the only one that I currently have.

So I ventured out to the garage to scare myself by how poor of a state the car is in, as it sits I can only conveniently access the drivers side. I will need to push it out or move a bunch of crap out of the way to get to it. I was pleasantly surprised that it is better shape than I remember, that being said it is far from what I wish it was.

Overall shot from a few years ago, the last time she was in the sunlight. Picture in first post isn't working for some reason.

The trunk and underhood areas have a surprising amount of mouse turds. I was expecting a lot of rust in the trunk but found only the areas on top of the frame to have any and the extensions and well appear to be solid. The car was rear ended shortly before I bought it by a Mitsubishi Eclipse that the failed to put the hand brake on, the speed was low but the damage done. There is if I recall some damage to the rear of the frame rails, I was unable to get a good look today, they may need to be patched or replaced. The trunk was for an unknown amount of time without a functioning seal which I replaced almost immediately because it sat outside for the first two years I owned it, without a cover (it would have been stolen if it was covered). However; upon looking at the tire well I was surprised to see the body plug removed and the top of the tank wet (wasn't wet when I parked it). A look under the showed a gooey puddle on the ground and a streak on the tank.

Driver side of trunk

Passenger Side of trunk

Tire Well

Tank Streak

Obligatory engine shot with inner fender damage visible. Passenger side is split just in front of the seam and drivers side looks to have been eaten by battery acid as the hood it missing paint and the battery tray was only vaguely present when I replaced it.

This weekend I need to get inside the wheel wells to look at the UCA mounts and tops of the frame rails, what I can see from the rear is not promising.

Bottom of Frame on Drivers Side doesn't look too bad and sounds solid

Someone also installed a 69 front drivers fender some time in the past, what appears to be the mount for the side marker light is on the inside and the fish does not fit the holes. I have a 67 fender in the rafters.

Go for it!!!! I have repaired much, much worse than that car. :D
You can do It!!! :cheers:

Thanks I am about half way through your thread, don't think I will go as far as you have with the tubing but I am seriously leaning toward a 5.7 with a 545RFE instead of rebuilding the 273.

Spent some time out with the car today and surprised the wife with the progress. I removed the seats, found the rear bench was not bolted down. Got the carpet out and the rear cargo area. The front and rear floor pans have been replaced at some point. Won't be sure of the quality of the work until I strip the paint and sealer, but an relieved to find mostly solid metal from the rear seats forward. Hopefully this means I can move forward with replacing the front rails sooner. Behind the rear seats is a different story. The passenger side has a hole about the size of a baseball right above the frame rail, which appears to be capped. :banghead: So now it looks like the front and rear rails need replaced, this will be a great learning experience. I did however find a box with four ralley wheel center caps I didn't know I had and some other small parts I ordered years ago!

Looks pretty good already. Glad to see you're taking the plunge on restoring her. Keep the updates coming. You'll be glad you took a lot of pictures as the project progresses.

Great looking car. I agree it looks like a good platform. I'll be coming along for the ride!
Take your time and enjoy the resurrection.

Thanks guys! This has been a long time coming, as stated earlier originally my plan was to get it drivable again. After a semi thorough inspection that was not an option with the upper control arm mounts about gone and what looks to be all of the trans fluid and engine oil coating the bottom of each, along with the gas tank and absolutely no brake pedal resistance.

The inspection did reveal that both of the rear quarter panels have been patched as well, the stickers are still on it but couldn't see who they were from. There is what appear to be about an 1 1/2" overlap on the inside though and the bottom of the weld is not painted to well, I will most likely spray rust encapsulator under the seam then fill it with seam sealer. The rockers also appear to have sort of work done, will not know to what extent until the paint comes off.

The wife and I spent some time last night discussing what direction the car is headed. I am very fortunate that she also loves cars and doesn't mind getting dirty either. The intention 10 years ago was always to replace the tired 273/904 combo with sometime else, 318/360 something or other. I dropped the thought of a 5.7 swap recently and she was all about it, the goal was never to make a factory restoration but something fun. My logic is by the time I dump unknown amounts of cash into fixing the unknown quantity of the stock lump and gearbox I could get a 5.7 trans combo and install it and get a a decent MPG cruiser. I am guessing the rear end will also need upgraded to handle the power. I know it will not be cheap or easy to do but what is life but a series of challenges?

I floated a few other ideas, shaved door handles and bumper changes, both of which were shot down she likes them both how they are. I also mentioned a coil over swap front and rear, her eyebrow raised until I told her the cost of the front setup alone, the eyebrow dropped and she visibly recoiled. So that's out!

We will see what new discoveries today brings, the house needs cleaned and the garage reorganized to make room for parts which are coming off.

Thanks guys! This has been a long time coming, as stated earlier originally my plan was to get it drivable again. After a semi thorough inspection that was not an option with the upper control arm mounts about gone and what looks to be all of the trans fluid and engine oil coating the bottom of each, along with the gas tank and absolutely no brake pedal resistance.

The inspection did reveal that both of the rear quarter panels have been patched as well, the stickers are still on it but couldn't see who they were from. There is what appear to be about an 1 1/2" overlap on the inside though and the bottom of the weld is not painted to well, I will most likely spray rust encapsulator under the seam then fill it with seam sealer. The rockers also appear to have sort of work done, will not know to what extent until the paint comes off.

The wife and I spent some time last night discussing what direction the car is headed. I am very fortunate that she also loves cars and doesn't mind getting dirty either. The intention 10 years ago was always to replace the tired 273/904 combo with sometime else, 318/360 something or other. I dropped the thought of a 5.7 swap recently and she was all about it, the goal was never to make a factory restoration but something fun. My logic is by the time I dump unknown amounts of cash into fixing the unknown quantity of the stock lump and gearbox I could get a 5.7 trans combo and install it and get a a decent MPG cruiser. I am guessing the rear end will also need upgraded to handle the power. I know it will not be cheap or easy to do but what is life but a series of challenges?

I floated a few other ideas, shaved door handles and bumper changes, both of which were shot down she likes them both how they are. I also mentioned a coil over swap front and rear, her eyebrow raised until I told her the cost of the front setup alone, the eyebrow dropped and she visibly recoiled. So that's out!

We will see what new discoveries today brings, the house needs cleaned and the garage reorganized to make room for parts which are coming off.

Hope you have room for one more. I'd like to tag along for the ride. The car looks like a good canvas for your imagination and wallet to have fun with.

I think I will jump in with the rest of you guys if ya'll don't mind

Good looking ride. Your quite lucky to have a wife that likes the cars. We picked mine up in Michigan and the first thing she said was that was the ugliest car she had ever seen. Why would anyone want something like that. We would stop for gas and she couldn't believe people wanted to talk about the 65 Barracuda. Seemed everyone had a story to tell. 3 years later and she hasn't warmed up one bit. She still shakes her head when she goes into the garage. Other than that, she is a great wife. She just doesn't understand cars.

The wife and I spent some time last night discussing what direction the car is headed. I am very fortunate that she also loves cars and doesn't mind getting dirty either./QUOTE]

Sounds like a fun wife!! LOL.

I hope she's patient. It sounds as though you'll be going through the entire car, system by system. A lot of guys that I've known will start a project and life inevitably gets in the way. The time and money spent begin to seem burdensome after awhile and many give up before they're done.

The fact that you're a member on FABO indicates that you're most likely a 'serious' car guy. It may seem like an extra job to keep everyone here updated on your progress but it's worth it. Encouragement from fellow enthusiasts can help to keep you motivated. Your wife's involvement can be a big plus too.

There are so many benefits to being a FABO member. Parts are sometimes near impossible to find elsewhere. The knowledge from some of the other members is invaluable too.

I always advise people to try to make at least a tiny amount of progress each day. - Even if it's spent cleaning, buffing or sanding. The projects that stagnate are the ones that tend to be given up on. Good luck!

Yup, do a little everyday. Some of these projects take years to accomplish. Life gets in the way all the time. One thing I have learned over the years is that if the project isn't easily accessible, it never gets done. I have a shop and a large pole building that I store cars and parts in. NEVER LET IT GET OUT OF THE GARAGE!!! Out of sight, out of mind. As long as you have to walk past it every day, there's a chance that you will tinker with something. That is a small step forward!!!! :cheers:

Sounds like a fun wife!! LOL.

She can be a trooper, back when we first started on this car 10 years ago we rebuilt the front suspension, I openly hate greasing things, she grabbed the tub and packed the bearings with a smile! Of course she is out of commission for a bit while I was at a car show today (my six year olds first) she sliced her thumb open making breakfast. The show was an all Mopar show god mix of old and new, only a hand full of A Bodies though.

His favorite car of the show.

My buddy has a SRT super bee he bought brand new. Nice car. Good to see the kid picked a winner!!!!

Pretty solid base to work with,on that fastback. Subscribed, & good luck.

Got ambitious last night and started to remove front end stuff, it started out as let's see what behind the grill looks like, but turned into every thing but the fenders and hood came off. All while watching my two year old and keeping her in the yard.

I ended up having to leave the passenger side light attached as the po used a carbon steel screw to attach the headlight surround and it was hopelessly seized. Next came the lower valance then bumper, not the proper order I know, not sure what I was thinking.

Is there supposed to be a large gap between the fenders and the header panel on the bottom?

Next came the header panel, which had 2" hex head bolts inside the fender on the passenger side. This is the crap I am dealing with though out the car so far. Notice on the second picture the lean of drivers side fender, they never bolted the bottom to the rad support. The fenders were also not attached to the valance so every time you closed something, ie a door it rattled. :banghead: I stopped counted how many fasteners are not present already.

The lower radiator support is going to need to be replaced, it is solid but bent, I may fab a stronger one up when I get there.

Forgot to add, a couple days ago I finished pulling the rear trim out. Most of it is in decent shape, the passenger side reveal is pretty rusty on the back, I am not sure it can be saved. What it did reveal is kind of what I suspected. I knew the hole on the trunk had to come from somewhere and that gravity and water always win. I was fully prepared to find the rear glass held up by duct tape and bailing wire. What I found was a few spots of rust along the lip of the trim, wont know truly how bad until I get the glass out (which scares the bejesus out of me to think about). There are some holes and it will be a good learning experience making the patches. The glass was caulked and siliconed in several spots inside and outside. Since the gasket is most likely toast I may be switching to the 68-69 style.

Also found an awesome welding job on the support brackets, not sure what the proper nomenclature is for it. Also found that the rear fenders were patched from the door to the tail lights. The front has rivets and some welds but the rest looks welded.

Now a frame question for the viewers, I asked in the chassis sub-forum and didn't get a reply. I have attached a picture of where the front of the passenger side rear frame rail attaches to the floor pan. This doesn't look right to me with the gap.

Damn, that's a nice, straight, clean front end you have there. That little gap is on my son's '68 as well, so I would say normal. As for that little bend in the rad support, at least what you show, you can straighten that easily. There are aftermarket pieces too if you don't want to fabricate one. Right on, looking good!

Damn, that's a nice, straight, clean front end you have there. That little gap is on my son's '68 as well, so I would say normal. As for that little bend in the rad support, at least what you show, you can straighten that easily. There are aftermarket pieces too if you don't want to fabricate one. Right on, looking good!

Thanks, I figured with the bumper covering it, it shouldn't be too big a deal. I am more than likely going to be dropping a 5.7 in so I am leaning towards a stiffer rad support. Im sure some one makes one of those as well.

Check my build thread and you will see what you are in for with the rear window channel.
That support in the trunk looks like factory crappy welding to me. Have seen that many times. Yours is savable but its gonna take some fab work. :D

-
Back