Milocon pan, 6.1 and dipsticks.....

-

Rat Patrol

Reaction score
Just a quick dumb question about dipsticks -

Do I need to buy the Milodon dipstick to go with the pan - or can I use the factory dipstick and does it remain in the factory location?

This dipstick confusion has been one of the hardest issues to get clarity on because I can't find any b4 and after pics.!:banghead:

I read an article that talked about "unplugging" the factory dipstick hole on a crate 5.7 - but that's just confused be more!

Can anyone provide a clear explanation of what I need to do/ buy?

Thx.

Mal

Is your dipper tube in the factory location hole, or does your pan provide another location point for the tube?

I'm using a jeep rear sump pan. So the dipstick goes into the drivers side of block

On my 5.7 with a Milodon pan the stick goes in on the American driver's side (right hand when viewed from the front) a little over half way toward the back of the block. I may see if I can get a picture of it this weekend or something. Depending on what engine you have, the stock dipstick is sometimes actually inserted directly into the pan, not the block (there is a boss cast in the pan for the tube to press into). When this is the case (my 5.7 was out of a Charger), the stock pan holds the dipstick tube and there is a small cap that is pressed into the hole in the block where the stick goes if it's in a truck/Jeep application. On a truck/Jeep block the plug isn't there, but the boss in the block is there regardless of whether it is a car or truck, one just has a little cap and the other doesn't. I knocked the cap out with a little punch and used a stock truck dipstick on my Milodon pan with no trouble so far. The Milodon pan requires you to use a dipstick in the block, it doesn't have a location for the dipstick to press straight into the pan.

I also put a Lokar dipstick in and on my 5.7 it goes in the block with a o-ring on the end of the dipstick,I also put some super silicone around the base when I installed it,I also have the milidon pan which has no provision for a dip-stick--Steve

As far as I can tell , what has been said applys to the 6.1 aswell .
You will need an aftermarket dip stick & tube for the Milodon Pan .
I will be using Milodon P/N 22064 for 6.1 which installs into the pugged hole near block pan rail between cylinders 5 & 7 .

OK - Got it now! Dipper tube location may vary - but the Milodon pan has no dipper tube locater so I need a tube with the MIlodon pan and pick up.

Thanks all - this is saving me a lot of last minute ordering. Much appreciated!

Just don't forget to knock the little plug out of the hole where you will install your new dipstick BEFORE you install the new oil pan. It looks like a tee tiny freeze plug, and is easy to knock out from the inside of the block with a long punch, or phillips screwdriver. You will also need to buy 2 additional oil pan bolts if you didn't buy the Milodon bolt kit when you got your pan. I reused the stock bolts and just bought 2 new ones and 2 flat washers.

I used the stock piece. Cutted to a defined length. Welded a bracket on to mount on the Valve cover. Looks ok and goes straight downwards, no bends.

Attachments

• IMG_0951.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 320
Rat Patrol said:
OK - Got it now! Dipper tube location may vary - but the Milodon pan has no dipper tube locater so I need a tube with the MIlodon pan and pick up.

Thanks all - this is saving me a lot of last minute ordering. Much appreciated!

Shophemi. Com

That's where I got my step up.... Best pricing and fast shipping!

-
Back