Milodon Oil pan fitment

-
Seems to be one of them guys in every group. All I can say is that from my hands on experience with them, I've never had an issue with them compared to a couple other companies I've tried. Il use them again without any worries

I know mad dart just notched the pan itself, it's in his 67 twin turbo build, he didn't want to notch the k member since it was already Powder coated.

I've had several of the Milodon 8 qt. pans in the last 15 years and don't recall having any leakage issues. Maybe the pan got banged during installation.....who knows.

Even so, every once in a while, an item or two might get past quality control and someone will make a huge deal about it. It happens or can happen to any company. Naturally, that will attract a lot of attention. But the hundreds or thousands of the same product that have no issues often go unnoticed and unpublicized.

I always felt that Milodon quality and appearance was better than Moroso. The final deciding factor was when I knocked the bottom mounted drain plug out of a Moroso 360 pan when a dropped a wheel off of the return road to make room for a Jr. Dragster coming in the opposite direction. The 8 qt. Milodon drain is mounted on the rear/side, plus it's 1.25" shallower than the 8 qt. Moroso @10"!

Years ago in IHRA Crate Motor Stock, Michael Beard, running an 8 qt. Moroso in his Volare, actually smacked the track surface...not at the starting line, but at the finish line! He was successful at....um, preventing a break-out run. But spun a rod bearing on the next run. Not saying that it was the pans fault. That is why I don't care for OEM shocks in most drag racing applications. But oil pan depth is an important concern and the wider bottom is a good feature in most cases.

FWIW

Milodon 8 qt. = 8.75"
Milodon 7 qt. = 7.75"
Milodon OEM = 7.25"

Last edited:
I'm on my third Milodon pan and the only leak I've ever had was because my brother turned the engine/stand over and kinked the pan when it hit the concrete. It seems the pans are racked out of square, all three of mine have required some fitting on some bolt holes. No big deal to make it fit, just part of hot rodding.

I've ran Hedman headers on my last two engines so the kick out on the passengers side requires some work.
IMG_0738_zps48lbfjch.jpg

Me too;30940 on a 70 DusterK, and a slight notch. I never gave it a second thought. I just grabbed the torch and Zip it was clearanced. The next time the engine came out I dressed it up.
I originally installed that pan for different reason. I ran it with just 5 qts in it on the hiway,and I was running a little 223* cam. My thought was that I could get better gas mileage with the crank not beating up the oil. I think it helped contribute to the 32MpgUS that combo made.
I had to make a belly pan for that pan tho, cuz I kept snagging it on stuff and got tired of brazing up the holes. Now I fly over everything, yahoooooooo!

-
Back